• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Dreamline can shoot 30 caliber slug?

thank you for the added info. additional to my question is I am planning to get an FX DL and shoot using 30 Cal slugs at distance of 50 yards.
If you are really interested in shooting slugs, I would step it up a model or 2 like the Maverick or Impact. The Dreamline is getting pushed to the max with .30 caliber and a decent grain weight slug. You'll also probably want to change out the hammer weight to tungsten on the Dreamline.

I'd bet it'll do slugs if you keep them on the light side. My take, after having one for a couple three years, is that the Dreamline is a very capable, but middling powered gun. It can be made to generate some power, but not without leaning on it substantially. But inside of 100 yards, you're likely to do better with pellets anyway. Mine is .177, so I'm at the other end of the spectrum, but I leaned on mine to try slugs and realized I'd only get the lightest slugs running fast enough to stabilize without beating the snot out of it. I only shoot out to 65 yards max around the house and the middle range 10.34 gr pellet @ 920 fps hits right where I aim it. No reason to abuse a perfectly good gun to get it to do something I really don't need to be doing. All that said, an Impact or a Maverick will give you a much larger range of adjustment and is more likely to produce good results with a much larger variety of ammo.

wow all those inputs are interesting and informative to each details.
If you are really interested in shooting slugs, I would step it up a model or 2 like the Maverick or Impact. The Dreamline is getting pushed to the max with .30 caliber and a decent grain weight slug. You'll also probably want to change out the hammer weight to tungsten on the Dreamline.
I already got the DL yesterday before reading your reply. How about slug of .22 and .25 ? is it still being pushed to the max in that case?

I'd bet it'll do slugs if you keep them on the light side. My take, after having one for a couple three years, is that the Dreamline is a very capable, but middling powered gun. It can be made to generate some power, but not without leaning on it substantially. But inside of 100 yards, you're likely to do better with pellets anyway. Mine is .177, so I'm at the other end of the spectrum, but I leaned on mine to try slugs and realized I'd only get the lightest slugs running fast enough to stabilize without beating the snot out of it. I only shoot out to 65 yards max around the house and the middle range 10.34 gr pellet @ 920 fps hits right where I aim it. No reason to abuse a perfectly good gun to get it to do something I really don't need to be doing. All that said, an Impact or a Maverick will give you a much larger range of adjustment and is more likely to produce good results with a much larger variety of ammo.
i am new to Air Guns, i have at the moment a Walhter Dominator 1250 .22 cal. I am getting frustrated that it is not reaching my target 100yards. i guess the riffle was not designed to do that or i dont knw. tried variety of pellets from 15 to 22 gr. riffle is fine, pressure are good too. if i understand you correctly, within 100 yards, on the DreamLine will provide accurate shots on .22 pellets/ .22 slugs. (my new DL .22 cal is on its way probably will arrive to me on monday)

Reactions: jura1976
I believe you will be far happier with the Dreamline. It will be a very different experience from the Walther. I cannot speak for everyone's Dreamline, but I have shockingly good accuracy out to my max of 65 yards, using middleweight pellets (10.34gr). Translate that to .22 cal, and I would expect similar results with 18gr pellets out to possibly 75 or beyond with something a little heavier. Just my speculation.
Go slow, take your time and get comfortable with it. The rifle is adjustable for power, but don't change anything unless/until you have a chronograph. Blindly messing with knobs and wheels will end in frustration.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I believe you will be far happier with the Dreamline. It will be a very different experience from the Walther. I cannot speak for everyone's Dreamline, but I have shockingly good accuracy out to my max of 65 yards, using middleweight pellets (10.34gr). Translate that to .22 cal, and I would expect similar results with 18gr pellets out to possibly 75 or beyond with something a little heavier. Just my speculation.
Go slow, take your time and get comfortable with it. The rifle is adjustable for power, but don't change anything unless/until you have a chronograph. Blindly messing with knobs and wheels will end in frustration.
when i receive the DL out of the box (assuming i will fill the air cylinder) can i directly try to shoot slugs or something is to be upgraded first?

You can try. Just understand that shooting slugs tends to require a lot of trial and error. Seldom do you just pick a slug and shoot great groups. Best advice I can give for that would be to start with the lightest slugs you can find and get a chronograph, because you'll probably need to mess with those wheels and knobs I was talking about.
Edited to add: Speaking as one who has dabbled with slugs and decided it isn't worth my time, money or trouble.

You can try. Just understand that shooting slugs tends to require a lot of trial and error. Seldom do you just pick a slug and shoot great groups. Best advice I can give for that would be to start with the lightest slugs you can find and get a chronograph, because you'll probably need to mess with those wheels and knobs I was talking about.
Edited to add: Speaking as one who has dabbled with slugs and decided it isn't worth my time, money or trouble.
thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts about the idea. much appreciated :) cheers

Reactions: oledawg
wow all those inputs are interesting and informative to each details.

I already got the DL yesterday before reading your reply. How about slug of .22 and .25 ? is it still being pushed to the max in that case?
Depends on the grain weight, what speed you are looking to get to and barrel length. If you are going .22 caliber, anything over 25 grains will need a heavy liner. You'll probably want the 8mm hammer weight or tungsten if you are getting up there in grain weight.

Depends on the grain weight, what speed you are looking to get to and barrel length. If you are going .22 caliber, anything over 25 grains will need a heavy liner. You'll probably want the 8mm hammer weight or tungsten if you are getting up there in grain weight.
thanks. sorry for silly questions that i may ask, i am new to the FX, received it finally yesterday. I saw in a video that i can turn the barrel and will allow me to shoot .22 of pellets and .22 of slugs. what is the diff of this to the slug liner they are selling?

thanks. sorry for silly questions that i may ask, i am new to the FX, received it finally yesterday. I saw in a video that i can turn the barrel and will allow me to shoot .22 of pellets and .22 of slugs. what is the diff of this to the slug liner they are selling?
The slug liner or "heavy" as I like to refer to it is for a different twist rate. Anything below 26 grain should work in the standard liner and anything 26 and up is going to need a faster twist rate (heavy liner).

Reactions: sololobo
The slug liner or "heavy" as I like to refer to it is for a different twist rate. Anything below 26 grain should work in the standard liner and anything 26 and up is going to need a faster twist rate (heavy liner).
ok thats one good info that clears the liner to me. I would try the

Slug HP II 25 gr.22 cal. over 40 yrds.​

do you recommend me a particular tuning or it should me to find it out as it is as per rifle to ammo. at the moment, out of the box, the tunning of my FX DreamTac is 125 (reg press) Max (front power) 13 (Spring Hammr) thanks in advance.

Hello! after 1 week with the DL, i started to understand a bit the info being shared here in this thread. My first shots with the after trial and errors, my impression was great. started at 30 yards then 60 yards. @60yards am getting good groupings for about 2-3 inches over 10shots. My settings: Reg Pressure =120 Bar, Front Adjuster = Med, Hammer Tension = 21, Pellet = 22gr. The chrono reads ave 787.44 fps. with all these data, i am getting energy of about 30ftlbs. Is this just fine?

Looks like the stock plenum size of the dreamline is 14cc and it can be expanded by 17cc to a total of 31cc. That's about half what the Impact has, I think. I'm sure there are other limitations. Quoted maximum fpe of 30 cal is 85 fpe. I see reports of as much as 150 fpe from a 30 caliber Impact.

I like to look at fps for a projectile I want to use instead of fpe. But you could also use the 85 fpe to back out a maximum velocity estimate by slug weight. A 40 grain slug going 1000 fps would be 88 fpe. You might not quite get there but it suggests you could push a 40 grain a useful speed.

Reactions: sololobo