• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Dreamline .25 loudness?

The 600mm barrel/shroud combination which comes on most .25 cal Dreamlines (not the Compact models) does a good job in quieting the gun. Of course this will vary if you are trying to get the very most power out of it - with more power and larger calibers comes more noise.

I have had a couple of DLs in .25 cal with the 600mm barrel. They were fine for my shooting in a semi-rural back yard without any additional moderation. Sorry, haven't shot a Marauder or a Galatian to compare. 

But the bottom line is that a DL with shrouded 600mm barrel AND a DFL moderator should be more than quiet enough for semi-rural back yard shooting. I know that when I shoot a .25 cal Crown with a shrouded 600mm barrel and a moderator, my shooting friends always think that my gun is broken (at least until they look at the target). They are shooting .25 cal Crowns, one with a 600mm and one with a 380mm barrel, without moderators at my back yard range. And I'm only on 1 acre.

I have a Dreamline Classic (600mm barrel) in .25 cal. Using a phone dB reader (no idea how accurate it is lol) the gun registers 107dB without a moderator but only 95 dB with a DonnyFL Shogun installed. That may not seem like a big difference but in reality it's huuuge. At 95dB it is very quiet. 

Gun is running 25.39gr Kings at 910fps for 47ftlbs.

I also have a 22 Marauder. The Marauder is the gold standard for quiet and is definitely quieter than the Dreamline BUT it is also only putting out about half the energy of the Dreamline. I've shot both guns in neighborhoods with relatively close neighbors (safely of course) without anyone being the wiser.

My recommendation is to buy the Dreamline, skip the add on cost for the factory DonnyFL, and purchase the Shogun separately (.30 cal for a .25!) 

20210925_215933.1632621611.jpg

I agree with these guys. The dreamline is quiet. Skip the fx mod and get a sumo. And sell the marauders before it starts leaking cause you'll have no need or interest in it anymore.

Nooooo! Keep the Marauder, tune it down to 18-20ftlbs and it makes an excellent 30yd groundhog gun. Pop a decent sized whistle pig in the side of the head at 30yds and it goes in and bounces off the other side of the skull. No pass through! Tune it down even more and you've got yourself a fantastic barn gun.

Thanks for the reply’s. This is good information. Forgot to mention my marauder is the regulated custom shop version. The marauder is a lot quieter than the galatian. Thinking of selling both to help fund the fx purchase to keep the wife happy. I know there are options out there where to purchase. I want to purchase from a shop that will go over the gun before shipping out. Any good recommendations where to purchase?

Thanks for the reply’s. This is good information. Forgot to mention my marauder is the regulated custom shop version. The marauder is a lot quieter than the galatian. Thinking of selling both to help fund the fx purchase to keep the wife happy. I know there are options out there where to purchase. I want to purchase from a shop that will go over the gun before shipping out. Any good recommendations where to purchase?

I bought mine from Utah Airguns and have had nothing but good experiences with them. I bought my gun a month into Covid and while everyone was slowed down to practically a standstill, Utah got me my gun and pellets in about a week still. I placed many, many orders for pellets and accessories after that and they came through quickly every time.

I'd definitely keep one of your guns as backup. I've been fortunate enough to never have a problem with either my Marauder or Dreamline but having a backup is always a good idea. When you're dealing with something that holds 3k psi of air AND has moving parts, something is bound to leak at some point.

I think what I’m looking for is some basic setup and going over to my sure it’s functioning correctly and not leaking. I want to be able take it out of the box, mount my scope and shoot it. I had issues with both the marauder and galatian out of the box. Both were purchased direct from crosman and Hatsan. Both are now all good but don’t want to have to deal with that again. I may end up keeping the marauder but the Hatsan will be going since it’s also a .25. I see Utah airguns does have the .25 dreamline in stock. I just never dealt with them before. 

I think what I’m looking for is some basic setup and going over to my sure it’s functioning correctly and not leaking. I want to be able take it out of the box, mount my scope and shoot it. I had issues with both the marauder and galatian out of the box. Both were purchased direct from crosman and Hatsan. Both are now all good but don’t want to have to deal with that again. I may end up keeping the marauder but the Hatsan will be going since it’s also a .25. I see Utah airguns does have the .25 dreamline in stock. I just never dealt with them before.

Order it from Utah and select the "FREE BASIC TUNING" option on the guns page. From there just give them a call with your order number and explain to them what you are looking for. Easy peasy.

Ken at SPAW will not only function test the gun, but will also set it up for your desired performance with a chosen projectile, from what I know.

I have purchased many FX guns from Baker Airguns. Every one of them has been tested to verify proper function before they were shipped, and every one of them has been received working properly. Maybe Donnie will also set up the gun to your requirements if you ask? I did get a 'demo' .30 cal Mav Sniper from Baker, and I think that it may have been tuned and played with by Donnie. Man that gun shoots good, and I haven't done a thing to it.

These days it is tough to limit yourself to one vendor. Utah Airguns has also treated me well, but while I am on the 'outside' and don't see their actual performance, I hear a lot of folks talking about waiting 2-3 months and still not having their new FX. Maybe just because so many folks order from UA (are they the biggest FX dealer in the U.S.?). And while these folks have been waiting, I have been grabbing FX guns as they show up in stock elsewhere. Maybe I don't get my very first choice for color, length or caliber, but these days when I see a gun which is at least close to my desired specification, I grab it. Seems like nothing in our hobby (or elsewhere, for that matter) is becoming more available or less expensive.

I can only compare to a Hatsan at44 in .22, 30 fpe. My DL in .25 was quieter at 45 fpe. The Hatsan also had a ping from a lack of reg that added to the noise. I have had a Sumo, Pilum and now Huma mod on it. I preferred the Pilum as it was the lightest, Huma is pretty light to though. At 59 fpe with 34gr, the noise from the gun isn't as loud as the pellet hitting the target. If I am doing a lot of plinking I will use H&N 20 gr and turn it down to save air and less noise.