Tuning FX Dream Tac Compact low on power

I also got a 380mm .30 caliber barrel, probe and mags with this in my trade and was told it was shooting mid 800’s with 44 grain when tuned for it. Wondering if I was misled or if there was some major tinkering with it right before I got it?

i was hoping to get it to shoot .25 king heavies and .30 44 grain. Not expecting crazy power but I was hoping to get 800 fps out of either of those. There’s a guy at our local club shooting one of these at 70+ fpe in .22 with a long barrel in a saber tactical chassis, or so I was told. 

AncientSword,

You started with a .25 Dream Tact with a 380mm barrel which had issues delivering the expected fps with a .25 25g pellet. Now you have aquired a 600mm barrel, but you have added another variable by changing caliber up to .30(44g pellet), making it even harder to compare "apples to apples" to try and diagnose the "under-powering" issue.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to THOROUGHLY watch this video that Steve from AEAC's Youtube channel did on a .30 Dreamline with ONE power plenum and a 600mm barrel:

https://youtu.be/rcyDUefHmSE

He does a "deep dive" into the workings and tuning of it. I don't know what modifications have been done to your gun, but he was able to get over 900 fps shooting a 44g .30cal pellet, so a Dreamline(from the factory) is quite capable of generating that kind of power.

Good luck

There is a lot of great information on this thread. I too purchased the Dreamline tac in 22. about a month ago and have been asking questions regarding shot count and tuning. My gun came tuned at 125 BAR shooting 960 + using CPHP 14.3. With this tune, I barely get through 2 mags with a 300cc bottle.

First, I'm ordering new gauges because I just don't think this gun can shoot that hot with the reg set to only 125????

After the new gauges arrive I will attempt to tune this gun down with both shot count and air efficiency as my primary goals. I'm going to mostly be using the 14.3 gr pellets which I would like to get tuned to somewhere in the 780-800 FPS range with the ability to knock it down a bit using the HS adjustment if I need to. Using the short barrel I see no reason to try and push the FPS any further than this.

I've been reluctant to change any of the settings until I had a much better understanding of how these settings work. After reading this thread the fog is starting to lift and the light is breaking through. I do have a question or two regarding the HS screw and where it should be set but I'll wait until I'm doing my tune to see where I'm at.

Thank for the info.....Steve

Steve - We have a pair of 380mm Dream-Tacs in 22. Both came set at 150 bar and shoot a CPHP 14.3 within the range you're looking for. The longest string in my book indicates 58 shots on a 300cc bottle while doing the impossible, zeroing Dedal scopes. Sorry we don't have any further field experience, our Leshiy 2s arrived shortly after the Dream-Tacs...

Not an expert at tuning but me thinks your reg guage reads low too. May I suggest topping the gun off and swapping the guages? The guage that closely matches your air source will keep your bottle intact. There will be a little air loss from removing and reinstalling the full bottle. If your reg guage is that far off it should be obvious. A correction factor can be applied to the miscalibrated guage for the regulator. Install the accurate guage on the fill side, tune and enjoy.

Of course if both guages read close to the SAME degas the gun, wait for proper Wikas and send FX the bill.

Ok, so just an update on my Dream-Tac. I stopped by Izzy’s house the other night and dropped it off for him to take a look. I couldn’t get the hammer to make any real changes when I was trying to adjust it.

The problem ended up being that the hammer spring was eating away at the inside of the tube it’s in and not maintaining any kind of proper tension. If you look at the pics you can see the metal shavings it was making inside.
It is now shimmed and the spring was replaced with a slightly heavier spring. Velocity is holding right around 900 fps with .25 kings and the 380mm barrel, with the reg set at 140 bar. 
8FEF666E-D283-4767-A9DC-EAA5EB80E448.1640154188.jpeg
C3985ED0-C5AB-4AF0-ACEF-AF28FB43D0D6.1640154188.jpeg

I’m calling this one fixed, since I can at least start tuning it and see some different results. I haven’t tried it with the .30 caliber barrel yet but I plan to later this week. I just picked it back up tonight.

So, just some thoughts I’m having at the moment and some info in case someone else is searching to solve a problem they develop:

Has anyone else had this happen to their Dreamline? I have trouble thinking it hasn’t. Anyone else seen it before? Steel washers went in to shim it and stop it from eating any more of the aluminum. I was wondering if it was tinkered with before and maybe wasn’t put back together properly? I guess I could take my other Dream-Tac apart and compare them. (Yeah, I bought another Dream-Tac last week from one of the Central Florida Airgunner Club members.)

There was a mess of metal shavings inside from the spring eating at the aluminum. One end of the spring was kind of sharp, but I’m not sure if that was enough to cause the problem? I had barely shot it after trading for it, so did someone shoot this thing a million times or what? I’m at least the 3rd owner, so really no reliable info on it to go by.

I asked Izzy to weigh the hammer for me and it was 11.53 grams. I read in another thread that the .177 and .22 Dreamlines can come with a light hammer weighing 7 grams and I was wondering if maybe mine had that one installed. Obviously it was the spring causing the problem and not the hammer. There is a 13 gram hammer available as well. Izzy put a little stiffer spring in mine and you can feel the slight difference in it when you draw the cocking handle back.