FX Dream Tac, .25 and .30, not enough power for these calibers...???

In my quest to put together a rifle for 100 meter competition, I experimented and mounted my .25 STX barrel from my Crown on my Dream Tac...

Adjusting the regulator to 150+ Bar and max hammer spring tension, the rifle could only push JSB 33.95s to 790-800 FPS... So, it looks like the plenum does not have enough volume or some other issue which prevents the rifle from pushing the pellets to an acceptable speed...

The owners manual warns against higher regulator pressures than 160 bar... I pushed it over 150 bar (per the gauge) and can't get any more speed out of it...

If anyone else is shooting a Dreamline Tactical in .25 please share your settings here... I don't think pushing the regulator to the max and hammer spring to the max can be good for the rifle, I'm really curious to know if anyone else has setup a Dream Tac for .25 or .30 caliber and what the performance is...

I don't see the Dream Tac capable of .30 caliber...

Ken

The hammer on my crown wouldn't do anything for pressures abover 135 bar. I can pull it and weigh it if you'd like. I added 7gms to mine and now shoot @155 bar. 36gr 22 slugs at almost 900fps.

Of course some porting was done. Saw 75fps gain there

I won't ask you to pull the hammer and weigh it... My Crown has no issues with speed, my Dream Tac is not even close... It seems to me no extra work, at least not porting and changing parts should be necessary to utilize .25 or .30 barrel kits...

Ken

I have tried to find out the plenum volume of the different FX models and have not had any luck researching on the interdweeb… I know I am new to tuning PCP airguns, but I have learned a lot very quickly... It does seem to me this issue is a direct result of inadequate plenum volume, there's just not a large enough "charge" of air to be released by the valve no matter how hard you hit it or what the regulator pressure is... I am not sure if increasing the dwell time alone will solve this issue... Porting should not be required for what is supposed to be a "modular" barrel system...

I can't seem to get my head around the Crown pushing these same pellets to 930 FPS at 110-115 bar and pretty much the factory hammer spring tension... I know I am one of the first in the USA with this rifle and one of the first with a bottle version, I even like being a "guinea pig" as long as there are some positive results... This is not positive...

I'm very curious to know if anyone else has a FX Dream Tac in .25 or .30 the settings used and what it's performance is...

Ken

Why wouldn't your Crown be a good 100m gun? I have mine shooting 30cal right now and it's the most accurate gun I've every owned. Does well in it's original 25 trim also.

Jking

The Crown is a fine rifle, but the issue is and this post is about the Dream Tac, it has settings for 25/30 caliber and barrel kits are available for it in 25 and 30, yet it appears the Dream Tac is not up to the task without significant modification... I have a real investment in my FX rifles and barrel kits, my Dream Tac is the rifle I have decided to setup as my multi-caliber rifle and use in competition, it just fits me better...

Ken

On one of the videos at IWA I remember one of them saying the dreamline wouldn't have the power of the crown or impact. They were saying that you get the adjustments like the others so why would one pay more for the impact or crown and they mentioned power wise if you want more power you'd need to pay for the crown or impact.

It truly sucks to read that...!!! I have a Crown too, prefer the feel of my Dream Tac... There is definitely a power difference between it and my Dream Tac... I don't really need a second "tactical" style 22 air rifle, I have a fine Brocock Concept Lite in 22 with Lothar Walther barrel and HUMA regulator from the factory, it's a laser... Looks like I may get off the FX fan wagon...

Boo Hiss FX...

Just comparing the Crown with the Dream Tac, there is so much more volume to the aluminum receiver to have an increased plenum capacity... Ernest did say to me that the 'power adjuster" was labeled incorrectly and should read "low, medium and high" instead of having caliber markings...

I have learned a lot in the last couple months, and the plenum volume was the logical and obvious culprit... I'm not sure what I am going to do for my "100 Meter" rifle now... Perhaps when I get my 24" Leshiy barrel finished and tune it for slugs I'll use it... ;-)

Ken

Huma has a reg with a bigger plenum for the Dreamline tube version. Large increase in power but es is reportedly not good. They also have one for the bottle version with 200 bar max setting, haven't seen any reviews on those.

That is what I had to do to my .25 Streamline to get it up to snuff. My factory reg, was horrible. . ("es not good, hate to hear that"). I just ordered the .22 FX Dream Tac compact, I am only expecting high 800s in 16 grain. I would like a lil over 9, & will consider the Huma again, if it looks needed. Don't need another airgun, but it will fit the grandkids well with the adjustable stock. Might make a good hiker. No matter what you do to it, you may never have a rifle that can shoot 33 grainers at the speed they really need. 

An interesting update: The FX Dream Tac can shoot .25 reasonably well... The settings I used are way different than others have suggested...

After playing with my settings and my chronograph I found something interesting about my FX Dream Tac; it doesn't like operating at higher regulator pressure, when set to anything above 125 BAR on my gauge, the performance starts dropping off terribly, the sweet spot seems to be between 115-120 BAR, shooting the JSB 25.39s at 900 FPS after a lil tweaking, I'm out of air to continue tuning today... I'm going to start backing off the hammer spring tension, 1/8 turn at a time to measure the results next...

I have about 18mm on the hammer spring slide measurement and approx. 115-118 BAR on the regulator gauge...

Created: 10/21/19 01:03 PM

Description: Dream Tac 25

Notes 1: 120 BAR

Notes 2: 18mm

Distance to Chrono(FT): 1.00

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.080

Bullet Weight(gr): 25.39

Temp: 60 °F

BP: 995.35 inHg

Altitude: 600.00

# FPS FT-LBS PF

14 897 45.37 22.77

13 899 45.57 22.83

12 899 45.57 22.83

11 898 45.47 22.80

10 902 45.88 22.90

9 902 45.88 22.90

8 908 46.49 23.05

7 869 42.58 22.06

6 879 43.57 22.32

5 889 44.56 22.57

4 881 43.77 22.37

3 885 44.16 22.47

2 888 44.46 22.55

1 882 43.86 22.39

Average: 891.3 FPS

SD: 11.1 FPS

Min: 869 FPS

Max: 908 FPS

Spread: 39 FPS

Shot/sec: 0.0

True MV: 892 FPS

Group Size (in): 0.00

A little more tweaking and might be good to go...

Ken

The Plot Thickens... Or more interesting FX Dream Tac (Bottle Version) information...

While testing and tweaking my Dream Tac I noticed more positive clicks on the power adjusting knob than any of the other FX rifles I own or have owned... My Dream Tac has 8 positive clicks on each side of the power adjuster, half stops between the numbers 1-5 and half stops between the letter side A-E too for a total of 16 different hammer spring adjustments on the cam...

When I get my air tanks filled again I am going to do a lot more experimenting with settings and regulator pressures...

Ken