FX - Disappointment

I had been wanting a Crown MKII for a long time and I've also wanted rifle with a grey laminate stock. Killing two birds with one stone I bought a grey laminate Crown MKII from Travis at AGS here in Canada. It arrived yesterday and I eagerly unpacked it, opened the case and felt disappointment after my initial excitement. There are several (7) places on the stock that are not grey. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but when I pay a premium to upgrade the stock on a rifle, I expect it to be perfect. Am I asking too much?

1.1653148489.jpg

2.1653148547.jpg

3.1653148591.jpg

4.1653148623.jpg

5.1653148660.jpg

6.1653148697.jpg

7.1653148730.jpg

I do own a Impact MKII that has been a very good product and I am happy with it. Travis at AGS has also been very good to deal with.

I agree that stock probably should not of left Minnelli factory. For the amount of money for upgrade to laminate it’s not great. If it bothers you just call where you bought it from or FX directly to get it replaced, really not a big deal. 

Personally it’s a signature and there will never be another one like it, part of owning natural product. My pepper laminate Crown stock also has some “imperfections like yours and I’m fine with it, I can identify my stock very quickly. BUT you need to be happy with YOUR purchase. 

Below is the gray lam stock on my wife's Dreamline Classic. We purchased it used from an FX dealer, who chose to photograph the gun from the other side for the listing pictures.

It is not a nick or a chunk missing - the clear top coat is smooth over this anomaly. It is like a knot which didn't absorb stain. I guess that it was just fine per FX QC. And maybe it is just not uncommon for an FX stock?

We might have tried to return it, but we didn't. But the rest of the stock is fine, the gun is a great shooter, and it is just a tool after all. But definitely disappointing when we first received it.

IMG_2649.1653163789.JPG

Wood.

Laminates are just fancy talk to sell the public a piece plywood in the form of a stock. I’m a woodworker, and the plywood I use is usually hidden, even the cabinet grade and furniture grade stuff. Funny how imperfections in plywood is not desirable, but in solid wood it’s all the rage these days. 

But hey, I get it. Penciling some dye in on the spots just before the clear coat wouldn’t have put much of a hiccup in the assembly. Personally, I think Minnelli is overrated. Their stocks look nice, but it’s all milled on CNC then finished by hand most likely.

Again, it’s a bummer, and I do sympathize with you. The unfortunate thing is that someone will eventually end up with it. Funny thing is that I would find one of those blemishes more annoying than several; more the merrier.. You could always play it off and say that you pepper laminate has some salt sprinkled on top.

Below is the gray lam stock on my wife's Dreamline Classic. We purchased it used from an FX dealer, who chose to photograph the gun from the other side for the listing pictures.

It is not a nick or a chunk missing - the clear top coat is smooth over this anomaly. It is like a knot which didn't absorb stain. I guess that it was just fine per FX QC. And maybe it is just not uncommon for an FX stock?

We might have tried to return it, but we didn't. But the rest of the stock is fine, the gun is a great shooter, and it is just a tool after all. But definitely disappointing when we first received it.

IMG_2649.1653163789.JPG

Not cool of the seller, not cool at all.

I had been wanting a Crown MKII for a long time and I've also wanted rifle with a grey laminate stock. Killing two birds with one stone I bought a grey laminate Crown MKII from Travis at AGS here in Canada. It arrived yesterday and I eagerly unpacked it, opened the case and felt disappointment after my initial excitement. There are several (7) places on the stock that are not grey. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but when I pay a premium to upgrade the stock on a rifle, I expect it to be perfect. Am I asking too much?

1.1653148489.jpg

2.1653148547.jpg

3.1653148591.jpg

4.1653148623.jpg

5.1653148660.jpg

6.1653148697.jpg

7.1653148730.jpg

I do own a Impact MKII that has been a very good product and I am happy with it. Travis at AGS has also been very good to deal with.

Stuff that,

send it back for replacement, all products should be sent in prestine condition as is in product photos