• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FX Crown100yd indoor accuracy

I meant to post this on this thread...but accidentally posted it on the outdoor one.

I see Bobby alluded to some of these points above.

As a competition rifle builder, I probably shoot indoors more than anyone that reads these forums. It is the only way to figure out what a rifle is doing in a reasonable amount of time.

it is assumed that if you are shooting indoors, there is no wind to deal with. For most indoor places, this is simply not true. The bigger the building and the longer the distance being shot, the more likely it is that their is plenty of air moving around inside. Besides “wind” sources such as heating and cooling systems, there is also plenty of cool floor and hot ceiling to turn the air over…plus drafts from outdoors. Do not assume that there is nothing to affect the pellet because you are indoors. I have seen plenty of poorly designed shooting tunnels that were more frustrating than just shooting outdoors for rifle testing….and plenty of guys trying to test guns in warehouses that had terrible results with outstanding rifles….and this was only 25m.

If it was me…I would shoot indoors at a much shorter distance and be ultra precise about measuring group size. You can then scale up the average group to determine what might be possible at the longer ranges. A gun that will consistently shoot 1 moa at 25y….is not going to improve on that at a longer distance….and there are a great number of factors that can come into play to make it worse at 4x the distance.

Mike 

Arzrover,

Thanks for your input and experiences. Yes, it will be interesting to see how I stack up against a gun vise? Kinda makes me nervous. Lol.

It appears that I may have erroneously assumed that absolutely no wind was most favorable. But I do still believe(and the results support) that shooting in the warehouse, out of a gun vise, with the same aimpoint, produced tighter(and more closer to the bull) groups than shooting the same setup at my outdoor range with a variable 0 to 2 mph wind. I think I did succeed in eliminating variable outdoor effects(wind, temps, sunlight, bugs?, etc.) on 100yd group sizing, with my gun setup, shot out of a vise with same aimpoint. 

Very interesting about a slight(and probably constant) wind being most favorable for accuracy.