• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FX Crown100yd accuracy Part 3- OUTDOORS again

I shot these groups OUTDOORS this evening in calm(0mph), cool(64°), dry(38%humidity) conditions(perhaps ideal?) using the 700mm slug A liner in .22. 

Before I show the groups, I'd like to say this- My hope in purchasing this barrel from UA less than a month ago was to get better 100 yard accuracy from heavier .22 projectiles(less effected by wind) such as NSA, H&N, and FX Hybrid slugs, or 25g Monster RDs like Steve did in his AEAC youtube review(1.5" ctc five shot groups). I have not been able to get anything resembling consistent 100 yard accuracy(occasional 3" group, most over 6") from any of them using this slug A liner, no matter what combination of reg pressure, valve, hammer, barrel cleaning, etc... I have shot most of them at 700 to 950 fps(higher and lower than the 850-915 fps that Steve got his accuracy with). Perhaps I am doing something wrong, got a bad liner, got all bad slugs and bad tins of heavy pellets, etc. If anyone has a Crown 700mm slug A liner and is able to get tight 100yard groups from slugs or 25g Monster RDs, please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Just today, FX has announced they have released a "new and improved" Superior Heavy slug liner, designed to shoot heavier projectiles more accurately.😐

Now for the good news- my 700mm slug liner shoots .22 JSB 18g very well. Thanks to Centercut for telling me to back down on the fps on the JSB 18g to get better accuracy. He was right. In my initial testing, I had the Crown setup in more of a "power tune" to try to push fps up to get accuracy from the .22 slugs and heavy pellets in .22 and .25. As soon as I decided to give up on pushing the heavy stuff, I backed off on reg pressure and hammer spring, so I have a setup that is "light-shooting" and gives me well over 120 shots/fill using the JSB 18g.

Please note: I used the same barrel cleaning and prep as in the previous tests, but this time I DIDN'T USE A VISE. I shot them off a table using bipod and a bag.

The top 9 targets are 5 shot groups and the bottom 6 are 10 shot groups(I had so many more shots/per fill).

JSB 18g setup-

Reg- 120bar Valve-177/22 Powerwheel-3= ave. 873 fps

1588907972_19860273855eb4cfc4714e08.83005149.jpg

I believe this is the best 100yard accuracy this Crown setup and I can muster. But please understand, these were PERFECT conditions(and I was fortunate not to pull any). There was NO wind at all. Any wind at all and these groups open up like in my previous post. It looked like a good tin of pellets as well(only 1 bent skirt that I kicked out in over 100 pellets). So a lot of "stars lined up" probably. 

I was afraid to take the barrel off(or do anything to it) and change to the .25 barrel to test it tonight. I think I'm going to leave it alone until it loses accuracy.

I think you found a good combination for your Crown. To say this is great shooting is an understatement from my vantage point. There are many (including me) that would be very happy with this card if it was at 50 yards! 

Shooting groups for a total of 105 shots, and at 100 yards outdoors without a flyer is incredible. This is especially true for a relatively lighter pellet, and in.22 caliber.

There are many .22 air guns that like the JSB 18’s and your Crown is one of them.

Nice work!

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I welcome any feedback, positive or negative as long it is constructive. This 100yard accuracy is the result of 3 weeks of tuning, trial and error, tinkering, testing, and failing. I put over 3000 pellets thru the Crown and went thru a lot of targets, backboards, and barrel cleaning supplies(Patchworm). My next step is to shoot this JSB 18g setup(which is as "on" at 100yds as I can get it) in normal(wind) outdoor conditions post the results. 

jps2486, 

Thanks for your input and you are correct about the FX liners. The Crown Continuum I purchased came with and 380mm pellet barrel and 700mm barrel with a "pellet A" liner in it. Had good 100 yard accuracy with JSB 15 and 18g pellets in both barrels. I saw Steve's(from AEAC) review of the Crown Continuum where he got good 100yd accuracy(1.5"ctc) from slugs and 25g Monster RDs using the "slug" liner, so I ordered the "slug" liner from UA. This is what I received:

1588957822_5438464405eb5927ea35801.54028756.jpg

This "slug A" liner is what I tested with. Maybe a "pellet A" liner got put in this tube by mistake somewhere down the line? I don't know. Is there anyway to identify which it is just by looking at the liner itself?

Then yesterday, FX announced the new "SUPERIOR HEAVY" STX slug liner. Had I know this was about to drop, I probably would have waited to buy, or at least asked Steve if he new exactly WHICH slug liner they sent him to test. Because before yesterday, there was only 1 slug liner. Oh well, no regerts(Lol). While I did not achieve my goal of having a liner/barrel that would have good 100yard accuracy with slugs and 25g Monster RDs, I did come away with something very positive in the 100yds 18g results, tho. Thanks again for your comments

Never discount the 18.1 at ranges up to 100 yards. You might think you need RD Monsters, or .25 Heavy, or even .30 Exact. But a well tuned gun, the ability to judge the wind, and shooting skill mean more that just the BC of a pellet. 
When I shot the Saguaro Classic in early 2019 near Tucson, AZ, the 100 yard winner was shooting a .22 RAW with JSB Exact 15.9 grain pellets. And he beat a lot of good shooters with high BC pellets to win. ;)

Centercut,

Very good points(as usual). As a result of my circumstances, that is the "boat I am in" for the time being. Now that I have evidence(and confidence) that it is "not the gun", I will turn my attention to learning/testing all things about shooting in and judging wind effects on the JSB18g at 100 yards. Thank you for all your wisdom and the suggestions/tips on ways to become a better aigun shooter. It is much appreciated!

"Never discount the 18.1 at ranges up to 100 yards." You might think you need RD Monsters, or .25 Heavy, or even .30 Exact. But a well tuned gun, the ability to judge the wind, and shooting skill mean more that just the BC of a pellet. 
When I shot the Saguaro Classic in early 2019 near Tucson, AZ, the 100 yard winner was shooting a .22 RAW with JSB Exact 15.9 grain pellets. And he beat a lot of good shooters with high BC pellets to win"

=======================================================================================================================================

Boy, ain't that the truth. I'm actually playing with the idea of taking my FX Royale 400 .22 caliber shooting the 18's at around 890 FPS and giving her a go at 100 yards. Not the same gun I realize, but for kicks I may try this next week or the following week just for an experiment. I never shot it past 50 yards, so if I could get a calm wind day, I will give it a go. 

Also, your point about having a well tuned gun, shooting skill and reading the wind are really where the average shooters like me struggle the most. It's nice to have a challenge and a forum of folks of like minded people who share their experiences.