• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Crown

No, it’s not in the same ballpark. I have a .25 cal Crown MK2 and a 700mm barrel for it, and maxed out it will shoot the 34 gr JSB MK2 heavy pellet at 970fps. That’s an impressive speed for those pellets! I have an Impact MK2 with a slug power kit ($45) and it’s not quite maxed out and it will shoot the JSB Mk2 heavy pellet at 1080fps. 

If you get the Crown in .22 cal it will have enough power with a 600 or 700mm barrel to shoot several slugs in the 1000fps range. That will give you lots of options for tuning and chances are you will be able to find a slug you like and get it grouping good. With 22 cal there are a large variety of slugs to close from and most will expand very good at the speed the Crown MK2 can push them at. Hope that helps a bit! 

Eh, so here's the question.... how fast do you NEED to shoot slugs? I got my MK1 .22 Crown up to 65fpe, and still could have gone higher. It was fun. But completely unnecessary. I put a shorter 500mm barrel on mine, and run about 50fpe with lighter slugs. (950fps) Easier on the gun, easier on my air use.

In summation, if I were to max out the capability of both guns (modifications included), the Impact would make more power. But not a whole lot more. The Crown is quite powerful compared to most pcps.

I have a good source for air so no problem using more of it. I have three FX Royals so out to 100 yards is covered. I would like to shoot 22. cal slugs at least 1000fps if possible. It would be a dedicated long range gun for birds or varmints.

How far are your shooting? I was able to shoot quite accurately at 165 yards with the 23 grain NSA at 840FPS while still retain 15 FPE which is more than enough for rabbits even. If you have wind to content with then try heavier slugs but still don’t need 1000fps. Sadly crown does not have the same levels of power as MK2 and M3 goes even further. BUT you don’t really “need” it.