• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

fx crown vs fx impact which one should you buy and why ??

I am about to acquire a new pcp rifle but I am in great indecision as it has happened to all of us 😄 I do not know whether to buy the fx impact or the fx crown the only hobby that is practical is hunting I have been surfing the internet a lot trying to look for information to help me to say I see that in reality both rifles have the same precision and I create autonomy even so I see that too many people go for the fx impact I think this is due to the popularity of the rifle someone who has or had both who could say about it?

I was trying to make the same decision last year. I really like the looks and more traditional style of the Crown. However, I was really interested in shooting slugs and knew that I wanted to use a 700mm barrel for maximum velocity. I chose the Impact so that I could utilize the 700mm barrel and still have a decent length rifle. The Crown with a 700 mm barrel seems unwieldy and that long barrel seems more prone to POI changes.

I have both. I think the crown is a litle easier to shoot from a bench, accurately. The impact is nice if you like sit in the car, and shoot out the window. It is also easier to carry, as I can carry it in one arm, while the barrel is hanging down (maybe not with the longest barrels) If you like to tune and experiment allot, the impact have all the adjustments accessible externally. The crown also have good adjustments, within the limits of the power wheel. The only thing I did not like on the crown is that If I have to change the hammer spring tensioner on the powerwheel, the stock has to be taken off. It is a litle cumbersome as the powerwheel, which has some small balls, can easy fall out, and dissapear if not carefull. It bothered me so much, that I actually modified my stock, to get acces to that litle hex screw on the power wheel. If you plan to shoot heavy slugs in high power, the impact have more options. The impact have many 0-rings, and parts, and might need service sooner than the crown, some time in the future. I personally have not owned either of my guns that long, so both have been without failures. 

Both are nice guns, but the decision is your own. If you mainly want to hunt, the impact is easier to carry around in the field (I am not a hunter myself). It also depends on the budget, as the impact is more expensive. The best option for you would probably be if you could go to a range and try both, and see which one you like the most. The choice can be as simple as if you like a bullpup better than a classic rifle.

BTW matt dubber has a nice comparison video on both guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYaUN4qJ5D4

I personally think you are better off getting behind both if you can first. The setups are very different, and if you like a rifle setup, the Impact may not be for you. 

I didn't have the Crown, but had the Red Wolf (similar setup), and I can say from the setup standpoint, it fit me like a glove because I like a long rifle, coming from bench shooting. I tried an Impact early on and hated it because it wasn't adjustable and the bipod was way to far back and the balance on the bench was terrible. They started coming out with accessories to fix every one of those issues, and I picked up another and loved it. Still different, but I came to enjoy being behind it, albeit with even more expense to add adjustability to it. 

I personally think you are better off getting behind both if you can first. The setups are very different, and if you like a rifle setup, the Impact may not be for you. 

I didn't have the Crown, but had the Red Wolf (similar setup), and I can say from the setup standpoint, it fit me like a glove because I like a long rifle, coming from bench shooting. I tried an Impact early on and hated it because it wasn't adjustable and the bipod was way to far back and the balance on the bench was terrible. They started coming out with accessories to fix every one of those issues, and I picked up another and loved it. Still different, but I came to enjoy being behind it, albeit with even more expense to add adjustability to it.

Can't compare a Redwolf to any FX theres no comparison. The Redwolf is in a different class. Yo

I own both, only my Crown is the continuum which came with 2 barrels. It came with the short barrel on it, and I have just left it that way, since my other daystates have long barrels anyway. I have the impact MKII in .22 cal, with the long barrel, and an earlier version in .25 with a shorter barrel in .25 I purchased off the forum here. It's all a matter of preference, they are both fine PCPs in their own rights, very accurate, and really if you prefer the traditional look you could always look at the FX Dreamline, or Dreamlite if you would like to save some money from the cost of the Impact MKII. I have just ordered the Dreamline for my only PCP in .177. Another friend, a forum member purchased the Dreamlite in .25 cal and has sent me some very nice groups. If you want to purchase something custom, then I would build it from the get go, rather than spend 2k on something so I can change it to be what I want. 

Can't compare a Redwolf to any FX theres no comparison. The Redwolf is in a different class. Yo

I think he was referring to form factor which can certainly be related as a crown and redwolf are similar in that regard, and I am sure more would agree than disagree..

I think he was referring to form factor which can certainly be related as a crown and redwolf are similar in that regard, and I am sure more would agree than disagree..

Oh...gotcha...thanks! Yo

I've had both, and the impact was NOT for me. I dont like the balance. It does not point naturally. the trigger is not as adjusteable as my crown. The loading port is in an awkwards position. And, it flat out, just felt weird in my hands. the performance and power are hard to match in their respective calibers.

But the crown just handles sooooo much nicer. I've got a walnut stock with my own finish. Wood is quite easy to get dings and scrapes out of. And the finish I used is suuuuuper easy to maintain/touch up.

I also like to carry it one handed thru the woods. And is very comfortable to do so. The barrel is very short, and still shoots 16gr pellets with pinpoint accuracy @960fps

1588814483_11889477045eb36293b564a2.86743250.jpg