• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown Superlight barrel question

Personally I would never lean any of my Crowns (Continuum Mk1 and a 600mm MK2) with either of the 380, 600 or 700mm barrels against a wall, using the barrel as the resting point. 

I have not found any of my Crowns to have a wandering POI, but, as stated above, I don't lean them against the barrel. I did at one point install a barrel band (from Ohio Airguns) on my 700mm barrel, but I found absolutely no difference in accuracy between that and the "floating" barrel.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. Unfortunately in the gun cabinet they can end up leaning on the barrel depending how many are in there at the time. I prefer to not store them that way, but laws are laws.

Good point. I didn't think of that as a possible problem. That's how I keep my Powder Burner Rifles in the safe, but my air rifles are kept separately from the firearms, in my locked "gun room", in locked cases and some with trigger locks as well. They are mot required to be in a safe as they are not firearms here. I lock them from personal preference, but they are either on some kind of rest or lying on their sides in a case.

Chris

I just upgraded to the 700mm barrel and I actually have it leaning next to my back door so I can take some quick shots on these rabbits attacking my garden. And its still on point just shot it yesterday. When I have the 380 on I lay in on my mantel above the fireplace but the 700 is a little big with the picture frames my wife has up.. And supposedly I cant take them down to fit the gun... LOL

I just upgraded to the 700mm barrel and I actually have it leaning next to my back door so I can take some quick shots on these rabbits attacking my garden. And its still on point just shot it yesterday. When I have the 380 on I lay in on my mantel above the fireplace but the 700 is a little big with the picture frames my wife has up.. And supposedly I cant take them down to fit the gun... LOL

Thanks. This is encouraging information.

I have the Crown continuum and am shooting the 700mm barrel. In my opinion, the way it is assembled it should be as sturdy as any "free floating" barrel, When considering a steel firearm's barrel to receiver assembly, one must take into account the strength of the material used to construct the firearm. The steels are high quality specialty steels designed for high pressures.

The new light barrel construction from FX is as strong as the sum of the parts. They have incorporated a very basic law of engineering by spacing the center liner held by rigid struts to an outer structural aluminum tube. The assembly itself is very rigid and it is then slid into a mating boss in the receiver block and held rigid by four setscrews. I can't think of a better way to do it and allow user access.

I don't think leaning the rifle against the doorjamb, or corner in your house is going to cause any movement of the assembly, nor permanent bending, however, I don't handle any of my airguns, especially my crown with that 700mm barrel like a garden tool. They just aren't built like firearms!

I have the Crown continuum and am shooting the 700mm barrel. In my opinion, the way it is assembled it should be as sturdy as any "free floating" barrel, When considering a steel firearm's barrel to receiver assembly, one must take into account the strength of the material used to construct the firearm. The steels are high quality specialty steels designed for high pressures.

The new light barrel construction from FX is as strong as the sum of the parts. They have incorporated a very basic law of engineering by spacing the center liner held by rigid struts to an outer structural aluminum tube. The assembly itself is very rigid and it is then slid into a mating boss in the receiver block and held rigid by four setscrews. I can't think of a better way to do it and allow user access.

I don't think leaning the rifle against the doorjamb, or corner in your house is going to cause any movement of the assembly, nor permanent bending, however, I don't handle any of my airguns, especially my crown with that 700mm barrel like a garden tool. They just aren't built like firearms!

+1 on everything above!

i rest my .22 continuum in my gun vault verticle with the barrel in a snug padded rest

about 30" +/-, above the buttpad with either barrel, 380mm or 700.

never have any poi changes from original site in.

so, that throws out whining about proper barrel mounting....😢

the new crowns have 4 screws securing them and the new stand-off barrel to shroud spacers which are plenty good to support the barrel assembly.