Tuning FX Crown - Service reg or upgrade++

i need to service my regulator as I’ve moved past regulator creep to variations in strings while shooting. I had been thinking of just getting a Huma reg and while on their site I saw the high flow probe and upgraded transfer port. Would I get much use out of upgrading all three at this point if I’m only using pellets? I’d like to play around with slugs in the future so was just wondering about going all in while I have the rifle apart. 

OEM REGS ARE GOOD REGS HUMA ARE FANTASTIC ALSO ID PUT A PIN PROBE IN IT WITH PELLETS OR SLUGS HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH THEM PLUS THE DUEL PORT IS BETTER FPS AS MOST GUNSARE RUNNING THEM NOW

Hey Doug,

How’re you doing these days?

I have a question about you post above. Are you saying that the pin probes will also work fine with pellets as well? I have a 500mm .25 cal barrel that I am planning to put on my new Wildcat MK3 BT VP in .22 when it arrives. However I don’t have a .25 cal Wildcat pellet probe and when i ordered one I got shipped a pin probe instead. I am wondering if I should keep it and try it rather than retuning it and re-ordering a pellet probe.

Chris

I have had absolutely no problem with pellets using a Huma pin probe and the FX dual transfer port in my Crown Continuum. I chronographed 18 different projectiles with the pellet probe, pin probe, 380 mm barrel and the 600 mm barrel. The pin probe had no effect on velocity with the short barrel. Using the long barrel, the pin probe adds another 10 - 20 fps depending upon the projectile. There was no discernible difference in accuracy between the two probe types. 

George

Another way to look at it is if you need the pin probe and dual TP to get to the speed you want shooting pellets in FX guns then your need a better tune. If I can get 25 grain .25 pellets to shoot 900fps out of 380mm barrel Dreamline compact with zero upgrades then you can shoot pellets @900fps out of any FX gun with zero upgrades. 

pin probe is worth upgrade for slugs but possible issues and completely unnecessary for pellets. Yes, I’ve shot pellets with pin probe with no issues but YMMV.

Another way to look at it is if you need the pin probe and dual TP to get to the speed you want shooting pellets in FX guns then your need a better tune. If I can get 25 grain .25 pellets to shoot 900fps out of 380mm barrel Dreamline compact with zero upgrades then you can shoot pellets @900fps out of any FX gun with zero upgrades. 

pin probe is worth upgrade for slugs but possible issues and completely unnecessary for pellets. Yes, I’ve shot pellets with pin probe with no issues but YMMV.

qball,

I completely agree. None of my other FX airguns have pin probes and I get very high velocities out of them when I want. The issue here is simply that I plan to convert my .22 Wildcat MK3 BT to a .25 Compact with a 480cc bottle using a spare 500mm barrel from my Impact and a Wildcat shroud I had from my original, now sold, Wildcat Compact. I ordered a pellet probe but got shipped a pin probe instead, so I really wanted to know if the pin could work for pellets. Its definitely not necessary!

So guys at the end of the speeches can you confirm to me that with my original probe, modified as many users of AirgunNation have done, I get the same power that I would get by mounting the Huma needle probe? I read a few weeks ago about a forum user that with the Huma pin probe she got, with the cal25 crown, 14/18 feet more speed, but I don't know if she had made any changes to the original probe . If he had modified it and the original vs pin probe comparison gave 18 feet more, then he may be worth the expense of buying the pin probe ... otherwise not. I use, 90%, 2.2 grams jsb, so I wouldn't mind those extra feet, so I'm looking for news / confirmations, so as not to throw € in a useless purchase. Thanks for any information.

neat Huma pin probe ...... I will keep you informed if and what benefits I got.

I’ll be very interested in how this turns out, going from having the dual transfer port installed and then adding the pin probe. I just went the exact opposite way, starting with a pin probe in my .25 cal Wildcat MK3 BT Compact and then changing the transfer port on my barrel. Here’s an excerpt from another post that I had made earlier regarding the power available from at WC MK3 BT Compact.

“I decided to change the transfer port from the simple hole to a Huma dual slot High Flow port that I had (my barrel dates from February 2021 and only has a single hole).

With only that change I got a dramatic increase in speeds and power. Now I was getting this…

FX 34 grain pellets; 1st Reg 160 Bar; 2nd Reg 130 Bar; Hammer adjustment maxed.

HW Shots High Low Avg FPE ES SD

Wildcat MK3 BT Compact 7 10 902 891 896 60.0 1.2% 4.2 

7 10. 932 915 924 64.4 1.7% 5.8 [04/13/22] with Huma High Flow TP

That’s an increase of 24 FPS and 4.4 FPE. Yes, the Extreme Spread increased a bit, but frankly anything below 2.0 FPS is simply not an issue for me, especially when I am chasing max power.”

So, bottom line: The dual hole transfer port did make a significant difference.

Chris