FX Crown regulator updates

Hi all,

Been waiting now for nearly 4 months for a Crown, EU. My dealer now tells me that Crown shipments are delayed/suspended due to sorting out regulator disc springs. When they do receive any they have to test them prior to despatch to customer. 
Surprising that Impact supplies unaffected. 
Are supplies getting through to USA ? If so any problems.
Upset that a gun revealed mid 2017 is still unavailable!!

safe shooting

"wolfie"Hi Weatherby
A lot easier for dealer/FX to say stocks are in short supply than say they have an issue with regulators creeping. AND then say dealer will test prior to selling to customer. You have had creeping issue too!
Whatever just fed up with waiting.
safe shooting
Some (not all of them) might have a slight reg. creep issue, but let's not blow this out of proportions.
Almost all of these guns perform just fine out of the box, but some of them are shooting at a lower speed for the first shot because of some minor regulator creep.
The actual reason for these late deliveries is not really important IMO, when there aren't any in stock, you'll just need to wait. Which sucks, I know.

So you are from Europe too? In that case, most of the guns are shipping to other non-EU countries right away, which is a way bigger market than the rather small EU market.
They get the nice stuff first :)

"wolfie"Re supply issues, maybe us EU citizens ( UK still) should be grateful USA owners doing the development work for us.
Think it strange that a gun designed to be very tuneable should need degassing to adjust reg. downwards. Would this apply also if a Huma reg was ( assuming it could be) installed?
What development work are the USA owners doing for the EU (soon to be) owners? There are already several FX crowns in the EU (of which I own one) and testing is fully in progress now :) I am now working on tuning a .25 barrel and it's already performing quite nice.

Regarding the decreasing of the reg pressure without degassing: Huma regulators work in the same way as the FX regulators, these are just piston regulators with belleville washers. The regulated pressure is a balance between the force applied on the regulator piston by the regulated chamber and the counteracting force of the belleville washers pushing against the piston. The piston has a soft material on top which seals the air inlet of the regulator if the right regulator pressure is reached.

If the pressure is set and you want to decrease the regulator pressure (without degassing) you're pushing the inlet nozzle against the pistons force from the regulated pressure and you'll highly likely screw up the o-rings of the regulator piston. By pushing it against a higher pressure a large amount of heat will be produced locally which might burn the oring or make it stick which can cause pieces to be ripped of. If you apply excessive force to the adjustment screw there is also a chance of damaging the piston nozzle which makes your regulator piston permamently out of function.

On the other hand, if you turn the adjustment screw too far out (so increasing the regulator pressure too much) the piston won't be able to reach the inlet nozzle or won't have enough force to fully seal the inlet nozzle. This is what's happening with almost all the regulator creep issues. The stack of BV washers is fully compressed above a certain pressure which leads to an unsealed inlet nozzle and so the regulator pressure will creep. It is even possible that it will creep up to the full pressure that is in the bottle.

Hi Broekzwans
Thank you very much for clear and concise explanation to the regulator system in the FX Crown. I found it most helpful.
So in normal and proper usage there should be no creep if within the 150 bar upper limit. 
Was there any time indication from Johann when deliveries would continue? 
And yet USA have received Crown shipments in early March. Assume these are the latest BV modified regulators .
Others on AGN have mentioned the correct stacking of the BV washers and the need for even numbers in the stack.
When my dealer mentions they will need to test prior to customer delivery , do you know what this entails ?
Finally having tried to import a Crown from Sweden and been told they can only ship guns at 6ft lbs limit how do dealers ever get any over that figure?

Enjoy your Crown as I know I will .

safe shooting

"broekzwans"
"wolfie"Re supply issues, maybe us EU citizens ( UK still) should be grateful USA owners doing the development work for us.
Think it strange that a gun designed to be very tuneable should need degassing to adjust reg. downwards. Would this apply also if a Huma reg was ( assuming it could be) installed?

What development work are the USA owners doing for the EU (soon to be) owners? There are already several FX crowns in the EU (of which I own one) and testing is fully in progress now :) I am now working on tuning a .25 barrel and it's already performing quite nice.
Regarding the decreasing of the reg pressure without degassing: Huma regulators work in the same way as the FX regulators, these are just piston regulators with belleville washers. The regulated pressure is a balance between the force applied on the regulator piston by the regulated chamber and the counteracting force of the belleville washers pushing against the piston. The piston has a soft material on top which seals the air inlet of the regulator if the right regulator pressure is reached.
If the pressure is set and you want to decrease the regulator pressure (without degassing) you're pushing the inlet nozzle against the pistons force from the regulated pressure and you'll highly likely screw up the o-rings of the regulator piston. By pushing it against a higher pressure a large amount of heat will be produced locally which might burn the oring or make it stick which can cause pieces to be ripped of. If you apply excessive force to the adjustment screw there is also a chance of damaging the piston nozzle which makes your regulator piston permamently out of function.
On the other hand, if you turn the adjustment screw too far out (so increasing the regulator pressure too much) the piston won't be able to reach the inlet nozzle or won't have enough force to fully seal the inlet nozzle. This is what's happening with almost all the regulator creep issues. The stack of BV washers is fully compressed above a certain pressure which leads to an unsealed inlet nozzle and so the regulator pressure will creep. It is even possible that it will creep up to the full pressure that is in the bottle.
Hey Tom, when you turn in the reg. adjuster screw under pressure, the piston is not able to back off anymore.
Turn it out, and the piston "follows" the reg. adjuster screw and seals off. But it only works in one way.
Result of this action is a screwed up regulator piston, the reg. adjuster screw will mess up the sealing surface of the piston, and doesn't seal anymore.
In this case, the O-rings have got little to do with it, they won't even move :)

In case of a HuMa regulator, it is not externally adjustable, so you will automatically have to degass when you want to lower the pressure. 

However, it is possible to turn down the reg. pressure of the Crown under pressure when you do it as I described in my reg. mod topic.

I thouht I would add more here as I have had a few problems with my Crown Regulator recently..

First issues was a leak that developed at the ajustng screw. Orings on the shaft were not lubed and were damged simply from turning the screw..

Called FX.. Found I have a early version Regulator. Has a 8mm brass body with a ajusting screw that has a pointed end..

Recieved replacement free from FX. Ajusting screw is now slightly domed.

Next was to change the BV washer configuation as desribed by one our members with a small washer added.

Now its been a couple of weeks of shooting..

My Crown is a .25.. I recieved it slightly used and unaltered months ago. Was shooting mk2 34gr at avg 830ftp..

Today my Crown is pushing those same pellets over 900ftp.The spreed 899 - 908ft. Is consistant all the way down from 250bar full to 160bar. My regulator is set to 154bar when tank is full.

One issue seems many Crowns are showing is Regulator creep..

All I have done did not fix this. I do have creep.. It is a issue that gets worse running at higher pressures.. Mine has a creep to 168 to 170bar with a full tank over several hours and stops.

So with a build and mod of BV washers.. No leaks.. A creep rate I can live with that appears to only effect your first shot.. No leaks.. No damage at much higher pressures so far after two weeks of shooting........ OMG

My Crown it seems is one of the hottest out here... I hope to see more folks pushing the limits of the Rifle..

Next step will be a hammer mod..

Hello Mr. Squirrel, can you please sit there while I fire a shot so I can set my regulator? This way I can shoot you with my second shot. The first shot through a cold bore is critical. It should land true to its mark. An expensive gun like the Crown should not have this issue. You could not give me a gun that exhibits this first shot flier problem. Anyone who buys a Crown with a known issue like this, is a fool. FX is in the business of selling airguns. They don't care if they sell you a sling shot for 2000.00. As long as you're buying, they're selling. Regardless of known issues. Ever wonder why a recall wasn't issued?

Let me clear..

The deviation is only noticable at first shot by a hair at point of impact.. I can still hit a small squirrel in his head with that fist shot at 95 yards.. Did this last week..Rifle sat all night ...

Keep the pressure in mind I am shooting at.. 154bar..

Also how many Rifles today even have a external Regulator ajustment..

Or how many Regulators are avalable that are even set at 150bar or more..

If somebody comes up with somthing better? I will be there..

FX instructions only allows you to set the Regulator at 140bar.. 150max..

yeah its possible to hit a small squirrel in the head at 95-100 yards. Been doing this a long time. You're gonna miss more than you hit. Then if he doesn't drop dead like a stone, good luck finding him. I don't understand how some of you guys determine that the regulator is creeping , if in fact it's only a hair difference in poi. A puff of wind, a heavier or lighter pellet. Anything could cause this hair of a difference in poi. Including the shooter. The other thing I dont get is, if a regulator is set at 140bar,,,,,,and you look at it 3 days later and it says 138 bar, does that mean its creeping, or could a change in atmospheric condition, temperature or whatnot be the culprit? Seems like it could be to me.

yeah its possible to hit a small squirrel in the head at 95-100 yards. Been doing this a long time. You're gonna miss more than you hit. Then if he doesn't drop dead like a stone, good luck finding him. I don't understand how some of you guys determine that the regulator is creeping , if in fact it's only a hair difference in poi. A puff of wind, a heavier or lighter pellet. Anything could cause this hair of a difference in poi. Including the shooter. The other thing I dont get is, if a regulator is set at 140bar,,,,,,and you look at it 3 days later and it says 138 bar, does that mean its creeping, or could a change in atmospheric condition, temperature or whatnot be the culprit? Seems like it could be to me.

Just remove the regulator gauge. Solves 99% of all reg. creep issues...... 😜 .

@dreamsmoker, great results man! Your Crown sure is a hot shooter. Good to see the mod worked out well :)

Cheers, 

Gijs

I bought a regulator service kit for my crown, to fix the creep. To be honest the creep I had could have been self inflicted, because I once turned the adjustment screw the wrong way, and could have damaged the piston surface. The kit was for the guns with the newer wider diameter washers, and reg body. But all the other parts was the same. So all I did was change the piston, and replace the adjustment screw with the new doomed tip one, and used my old washers, and the creep was gone.

What I know can happen is if you shoot the gun outside where it is colder, and store the gun inside in room temp, for the next day, the reg pressure will probably increase a litle. So shooting one shot first is probably necessary to get stable pressure. Also if you just tap the gauge with your finger, can sometimes make it jump 5 bar up. So both gauge, and different temp, can make some believe the reg is creeping, while it probably is not.