• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Crown Regulator housing O-Ring Problem

Hi Everyone,
I need your help
I have a serious problem with the inner O-Ring on the regulator housing on Crown MK1. The O-Ring in question has flattened and hardened so much that it is impossible to stab and pull it out. I used a dental tool and tried for two days trying not to scratch the surface. I have heated the housing three times, but it simply is far too hard. I am thinking of soaking the housing in acetone, maybe that will degrade the O-Ring and loosen it enough to be able to pull it out. I have also thought about boiling the housing in hot water.
Please share your ideas.
Thank you, everyone.

Hi Everyone,
I need your help
I have a serious problem with the inner O-Ring on the regulator housing on Crown MK1. The O-Ring in question has flattened and hardened so much that it is impossible to stab and pull it out. I used a dental tool and tried for two days trying not to scratch the surface. I have heated the housing three times, but it simply is far too hard. I am thinking of soaking the housing in acetone, maybe that will degrade the O-Ring and loosen it enough to be able to pull it out. I have also thought about boiling the housing in hot water.
Please share your ideas.
Thank you, everyone.
Which O ring are you having trouble with? I am assuming it is part D28, D29, or D30 but it could also be D26 or D32. I have attached a link to the schematic of the Crown, can you tell us exactly which O ring you are having trouble with please? It will help us help you if we know this information.

For sure I would say a big NO to acetone!

Which O ring are you having trouble with? I am assuming it is part D28, D29, or D30 but it could also be D26 or D32. I have attached a link to the schematic of the Crown, can you tell us exactly which O ring you are having trouble with please? It will help us help you if we know this information.

For sure I would say a big NO to acetone!
Hi, cwcarrera,
Thank you for your response.
It's D28, The 4x1.5 NBR 70 that sits inside the piston end of the regulator housing.
it seems it's glued to the O-ring groove. It's flat and extremely hard. I don't think there's any way it will come out using conventional methods. The dental tool I'm using is brand new and very sharp, but still it can't penetrate the hard surface of the O-Ring. I think the only way is to find a way to loosen the O-Ring or degrade it to some level before it gives way.

Hi, cwcarrera,
Thank you for your response.
It's D28, The 4x1.5 NBR 70 that sits inside the piston end of the regulator housing.
it seems it's glued to the O-ring groove. It's flat and extremely hard. I don't think there's any way it will come out using conventional methods. The dental tool I'm using is brand new and very sharp, but still it can't penetrate the hard surface of the O-Ring. I think the only way is to find a way to loosen the O-Ring or degrade it to some level before it gives way.
I agree with the boiling water method above. Give the O ring time to soften in the boiling water then try again to remove it. I have a nice set of hard plastic O ring picks that will not damage metal parts / O ring grooves specifically for this purpose. Good luck!

Venon, just to clarify, it is the o-ring that remains in the block when the regulator is removed?
Hi There. No. its the one inside the regulator housing that you unscrew from the Block which holds the regulator
Have you disassembled the regulator? Try boiling the O ring in water for 10 minutes. You can try a mix of vinegar and lemon juice 50% each and soak for a day.
More extreme, allowing it to soak for at least 24 hours in a solution of three parts isopropyl alcohol and one part methyl salicylate.
I had disassembled the regulator and then I got impatient and soaked the regulator in acetone, as I figured acetone will not damage the brass regulator housing and the O-Ring has perished, so I had nothing to lose. The good news is that my gamble paid off and the O-Ring just came off with a slight persuasion from the dental tool. Your suggestions as how to remove the O-Ring are very good ones which I will use in more delicate areas of the rifle should the need arises in the future. Thank you indeed.

I agree with the boiling water method above. Give the O ring time to soften in the boiling water then try again to remove it. I have a nice set of hard plastic O ring picks that will not damage metal parts / O ring grooves specifically for this purpose. Good luck!
THANK YOU again. yes, I must get a set of plastic O-Ring picks. They are essential!