Tuning FX Crown power slug upgrade kit install question.....answered.

Has anyone installed the FX crown power/slug kit?

I ordered the crown power/slug kit and I have a question for those who have installed it: the kit comes with the 13 gram additional hammer weight which seems excessive, the original hammer is 16 grams so this almost double the hammer weight! Does it create more muzzle blast by opening the vale a bit too long? Why not add the 7 gram light weight? Usually I have no issues with the heavy 13 gram hammer even with 150 bars in my other guns but this is adding 13 gram or 29 grams total, seems like awful a lot for FX standard.
D3ABB2FD-93E5-4481-9784-215F921DDB23.jpeg

Thanks!

Also the front edge of the original hammer was quite rough but forgot to take a picture before I smoothed it out with a sanding wheel. Has anyone seen that before? I have fine metal shavings in the action, very strange! The reason I am upgrading is because I has odd lost of power recently, the gun wasn’t shooting consistently like it use to. No sure if the rough edges has anything to do with it but I’m more it won’t help.

Guess no one installed one? I could not even find a video of this kit so guess I’m one of the first???🤔

Anyhow the installation is quite simple by following Ernest’s Crown disassembly/assembly videos. The ADDITIONAL hammer weight slides into the factory hammer and replace the rear spring guide/seat with the new one that does not have the spring guide but recessed spring seat. Replace the factory probe with pin probe and done!

Tuned it and shot it yesterday, because of hammer weight almost doubled even with preload reduced by 3 revolutions the HS setting was only half way before the slug topped out on speed of 950fps and very soon after that over powering the valve and speed dropped. My worry of long dwell times didn’t really show up as I was able to easily find a setting to shoot 27.5 grain slugs at 940fps very consistently and accuracy. No issue reaching out to 200 yard gong and hit the 5 inch center reactive gong repeatedly. It’s actually bit faster than I would normally shoot out of a 600mm barrel but it’s shooting great so I left it.

Ordered a few boxes of heavier 22 NSA slugs so can’t wait to try them, I’ll be happy as a hog in mud if I can get the 35 grain to shoot near 900 fps. Not sure if crown can push a 22 slug that hard but I’m hopeful. At this rate I might as well get a 700mm barrel……doh!

BTW the slug power kit is FX factory kit with FX part number and all factory parts. Very happy with the kit except I want to try with a lighter hammer but that’s just me trying to split hair.

Last edited:
was wondering if slugs are being shot out of a std crown..
I have check out the cost of slugs..much higher.
still having fun with pellets @ 100 and under.
will be watching your results.

I WAS shooting slugs out of the factory 600mm .22 cal Crown with heavy liner for a while and results were awesome, 27.5 grain NSA @920FPS and absolutely a laser out to 200 yards in calm condition. Me being me I just can't leave good enough alone so bought the slug kit to try out, so far it definitely is giving the stock crown a boost in power so once I get 700mm .22 barrel on we will see how well it can do with 60 dollars of upgrade. I'm impressed with Crown from the get-go but I'm even more impressed now. Keep in mind I'm shooting with the Saber Tactical chassis version which is best for the bench shooting long range, the GRS stock is also phenomenal on the bench but the heavier ST chassis still has the edge.

I ordered the crown power/slug kit and I have a question for those who have installed it: the kit comes with the 13 gram additional hammer weight which seems excessive, the original hammer is 16 grams so this almost double the hammer weight! Does it create more muzzle blast by opening the vale a bit too long? Why not add the 7 gram light weight? Usually I have no issues with the heavy 13 gram hammer even with 150 bars in my other guns but this is adding 13 gram or 29 grams total, seems like awful a lot for FX standard.

Just now seen this post of yours, qball.
Indeed 13 grams seems a bit overdone.

I had never before heard of an FX crown power/slug kit. Here with us it can't be found in the shops.
At the same time surprised to see that the spring guider stem has completely been cut away.

Assembled my own slug kit for Crown some time ago.
  • Homemade hammer weight
  • Customized hammer guide body, still containing a hammer spring stem guide while slightly milled in -providing 2,75mm depth for the spring to sit in-
  • Huma power hammer spring
  • Huma pin probe
1657155657396.png
1657155632319.jpeg

The short brass hammer weight adds 6 grams. Together with a Huma spring (of a slight tiny bit higher power curve) that proves enough for me. I prefer a slighty more powerful spring on a long enough hammer travel. Never been a fan of clamping a factory hammer spring up to its maximum preload. When as such releasing their energy, such hammer springs are -in many situatons- more likely to behave a bit 'wilder' than is preferable. Not too keen on that.

Adding extra weight to the factory hammer, at the same time compressing the factory spring to max. preload while on top of that reducing travel length by a few millimeters (because of the head of the added hammer weigth), is about the best guarantee for a widening ES.

Last edited:

Just now seen this post of yours, qball.
Indeed 13 grams seems a bit overdone.

I had never before heard of an FX crown power/slug kit. Here with us it can't be found in the shops.
At the same time surprised to see that the spring guider stem has completely been cut away.

Assembled my own slug kit for Crown some time ago.
  • Homemade hammer weight
  • Customized hammer guide body, still containing a hammer spring stem guide while slightly milled in -providing 2,75mm depth for the spring to sit in-
  • Huma power hammer spring
  • Huma pin probe
View attachment 273468View attachment 273467

The short brass hammer weight adds 6 grams. Together with a Huma spring (of a slight tiny bit higher power curve) that proves enough for me. I prefer a slighty more powerful spring on a long enough hammer travel. Never been a fan of clamping a hammer spring up to its maximum preload. When releasing their energy, such hammer springs are -in many situatons- more likely to behave a bit 'wilder' than is preferable.

might have to try Huma springs later. Surprisingly so far the slug kit has been working pretty well and have not over powered the 600mm barrel so pretty happy with it. I shot 23 grain NSA over 1000 fps and 27.5 grain at around 940 fps and pretty accurate with no noticeable increase of muzzle blast but haven't had too much testing lately.

Saludos desde Chile.

Tengo el crown mkii grs nordic wolf en calibre .22 y .25. Mi experiencia es la siguiente: En cal .22 instale transfer port V2 Huma + resorte High Power Huma. Con esas mejoras, aumenté el regulador a 140 bar y comprimí el microajuste de su posición N°23 a 7,5 mm (logrado al ajustar el perno en el sentido de las agujas del reloj). De fábrica venía con una distancia de 6mm. No pude seguir aumentando la compresión del micro ajuste a una distancia superior a 7,5mm porque al intentar instalar la rueda motriz no encajaba con una compresión superior a 7,5mm. Con esos ajustes en cañon de 600mm logré con jsb knockout de 25.39g en .217 una media de 965 fps....pero lo que mas importante para mi es que la desviación estándar no supere los 2.3 fps.....Como por la precisión, estoy más que satisfecho, preciso a 170 mt y matando gorriones a 130 mt con viento cruzado de 2,5 m/s. También he pensado en comprar el kit power slug, en la web de huma lo anuncian con peso de martillo de tugsteno, sin embargo cuando consulté a FXusa me dijeron que el peso de martillo es de 13gr. En ese sentido, creo que perfectamente podrías sacar 980 fps al 27.5g con cañón de 600mm......

Traducido con www.DeepL.com/Translator (versión gratuita)

Saludos desde Chile.

Tengo el crown mkii grs nordic wolf en calibre .22 y .25. Mi experiencia es la siguiente: En cal .22 instale transfer port V2 Huma + resorte High Power Huma. Con esas mejoras, aumenté el regulador a 140 bar y comprimí el microajuste de su posición N°23 a 7,5 mm (logrado al ajustar el perno en el sentido de las agujas del reloj). De fábrica venía con una distancia de 6mm. No pude seguir aumentando la compresión del micro ajuste a una distancia superior a 7,5mm porque al intentar instalar la rueda motriz no encajaba con una compresión superior a 7,5mm. Con esos ajustes en cañon de 600mm logré con jsb knockout de 25.39g en .217 una media de 965 fps....pero lo que mas importante para mi es que la desviación estándar no supere los 2.3 fps.....Como por la precisión, estoy más que satisfecho, preciso a 170 mt y matando gorriones a 130 mt con viento cruzado de 2,5 m/s. También he pensado en comprar el kit power slug, en la web de huma lo anuncian con peso de martillo de tugsteno, sin embargo cuando consulté a FXusa me dijeron que el peso de martillo es de 13gr. En ese sentido, creo que perfectamente podrías sacar 980 fps al 27.5g con cañón de 600mm......

Traducido con www.DeepL.com/Translator (versión gratuita)

Yes, I could shoot the 27.5 grain slugs faster and was thinking about shooting the 35 grain slugs at about 920 fps but decided to move to .25 caliber just so I can push the heavier slugs faster. Idea is to shoot similar BC slugs but easier to push so I don't stress the gun and more importantly the gun is more "settled" so easier to shoot accurately or more consistently.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info oh white round one.

So I just installed mine and think maybe I did something wrong as the hammer has taken some damage.
Here’s what I’ve got:
B08659C1-7F66-4674-A8E6-8AB96D30FAB1.jpeg

So that’s on the surface that the sear engages.
On install I was concerned like qball about adding this much weight. So when even with the hammer adj screw backed all the way back except a couple threads and the adjuster on (1) I couldn’t get it dialed where I wanted in the low end I pulled it back out to maybe start trimming the weight off a little bit at a time to find the sweet spot I’m looking for and that when I found the damage on the hammer.
So as far as I can tell at least in my case is with the extra weight it’s maybe overdriving the valve and smashing into this guy on the cocking rod(?)
616D8D35-C488-4D7A-8C03-5D4B8E123287.jpeg

Anyone have any thoughts?
FYI, this is the FX kit weight @ .45oz (silver) vs the Huma tuning weights @ .45&.50oz (brass), the hammer is .55oz.
These are HIGHLY scientific measurements taken on my cheap kitchen scale.
78731DBB-0878-4868-93BE-DB669000DE34.jpeg

My reg is just a hair below 150. I was considering chopping the small shouldered brass one down 1/4” or so at a time but now I’m not sure.
Really what I was hoping to accomplish is a lighter cocking action with same smack on valve, also a tune that would run the JSB 18s at around 875 on low PA/Med TP setting and 25s around 900 on high PA/TP with a 500mm barrel but that may be asking too much.

Interesting! I ordered my Crown Slug power kit from High Pressure Pneumatics, and it came with the Tungsten hammer weight. I have 2 Crowns, but have yet to decide which one to install it in.
Right now, my 25cal 600mm version is at 150 reg and maxing out at 928fps with 34 grain JSB's, which is more than likely the one I would install it in over my 22cal 500mm Crown.

Guess no one installed one? I could not even find a video of this kit so guess I’m one of the first???🤔

Anyhow the installation is quite simple by following Ernest’s Crown disassembly/assembly videos. The ADDITIONAL hammer weight slides into the factory hammer and replace the rear spring guide/seat with the new one that does not have the spring guide but recessed spring seat. Replace the factory probe with pin probe and done!

Tuned it and shot it yesterday, because of hammer weight almost doubled even with preload reduced by 3 revolutions the HS setting was only half way before the slug topped out on speed of 950fps and very soon after that over powering the valve and speed dropped. My worry of long dwell times didn’t really show up as I was able to easily find a setting to shoot 27.5 grain slugs at 940fps very consistently and accuracy. No issue reaching out to 200 yard gong and hit the 5 inch center reactive gong repeatedly. It’s actually bit faster than I would normally shoot out of a 600mm barrel but it’s shooting great so I left it.

Ordered a few boxes of heavier 22 NSA slugs so can’t wait to try them, I’ll be happy as a hog in mud if I can get the 35 grain to shoot near 900 fps. Not sure if crown can push a 22 slug that hard but I’m hopeful. At this rate I might as well get a 700mm barrel……doh!

BTW the slug power kit is FX factory kit with FX part number and all factory parts. Very happy with the kit except I want to try with a lighter hammer but that’s just me trying to split hair.
Does an o-ring go the recessed groove on the new pin probe?

View attachment 269449

Thanks!

Also the front edge of the original hammer was quite rough but forgot to take a picture before I smoothed it out with a sanding wheel. Has anyone seen that before? I have fine metal shavings in the action, very strange! The reason I am upgrading is because I has odd lost of power recently, the gun wasn’t shooting consistently like it use to. No sure if the rough edges has anything to do with it but I’m more it won’t help.
9901B236-D881-4F02-A698-189D69667031.jpeg

View attachment 269449

Thanks!

What is the correct way to assemble the hammer? Is small silver hammer adjuster needed for installation?