• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX crown or daystate wolverine R

I am trying to choose between the Fx .22 Crown Fac and the Daystate Wolverine .22 Fac. I have been reading all the posts here and they are very helpful. One thing that has not been mentioned is the possibility of removing and replacing the 480 carbon bottle on the Wolverine (when in the field). I know that the Fx Crown bottle can be replaced for extra shots. Thanks

One thing that has not been mentioned is the possibility of removing and replacing the 480 carbon bottle on the Wolverine (when in the field). I know that the Fx Crown bottle can be replaced for extra shots. Thanks
The wolverine does not have a valve in the tank so no you cannot remove the tank and put another one in the field on without having source to fill the empty tank. The wolverine I owned was this way so I could be wrong about the current wolverines but I doubt its been changed.

I have both the Crown MK2 and the Wolverine R in .22 caliber. I'd call them close to equal in most ways where it would personal preference that could swing the choice one way or the other.

If I had to sell one of them, without hesitation, it would be the Wolverine that went - mainly because it's not adjustable. Under 35 yards it's consistent and accurate, beyond that range the pellets start to spiral. I've tried a variety of brands, weights and styles of pellets and haven't found a good one yet. A tweak to the hammer spring or reg pressure would fix the problem but these adjustments are not easily done.

I like that the Crown is lighter in weight (a great squirrel stalking PCP) and can quickly adjusted to different power levels. I have it tuned to 30ish fpe and 18 grain pellets for most use and dial down to sub-12 with 13 grain pellets for backyard pesting. I've had no issues with accuracy with sub-MOA groups at 40 yards being common.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!

Reactions: Tombstone.T
I have two crown mk2 with grs stocks and I had a daystate wolverine Hi lite b. The crown with the grs stock is a much better rifle on a bench than a wolverine. The shape of the wolverines stock with that crazy wave shape from the bottom of the grip to the butt pad makes bagging the rear awkward. I personally like verticle fat grips so I prefer the GRS grip over the slanted grip the wolverine has. Stock shape and design is personal preference but Those are a couple things to think about if you have a preference for certain stock details.

I need a little help, i am about to buy a new rifle but i can decide witch of these to to get, the fx crown or the daystate wolverine R forrester.

witch would you buy and why?

i must say that after my last fx rifle and all the problems i had i am leaning towards the daystate, but with the crown i can use my liners from my impact and i know how the fx works...View attachment 60098
Daystate! 5 year warranty!

The wolverine does not have a valve in the tank so no you cannot remove the tank and put another one in the field on without having source to fill the empty tank. The wolverine I owned was this way so I could be wrong about the current wolverines but I doubt its been changed.
Thanks LDP, that answers that question anyway, much appreciated.

I have both the Crown MK2 and the Wolverine R in .22 caliber. I'd call them close to equal in most ways where it would personal preference that could swing the choice one way or the other.

If I had to sell one of them, without hesitation, it would be the Wolverine that went - mainly because it's not adjustable. Under 35 yards it's consistent and accurate, beyond that range the pellets start to spiral. I've tried a variety of brands, weights and styles of pellets and haven't found a good one yet. A tweak to the hammer spring or reg pressure would fix the problem but these adjustments are not easily done.

I like that the Crown is lighter in weight (a great squirrel stalking PCP) and can quickly adjusted to different power levels. I have it tuned to 30ish fpe and 18 grain pellets for most use and dial down to sub-12 with 13 grain pellets for backyard pesting. I've had no issues with accuracy with sub-MOA groups at 40 yards being common.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!
Thanks Vana2, interesting to know about the adjusting ability of the Crown. Your 2 cents is much appreciated.

The answer is actually very simple!

1) If you want a gun that shoots very small groups straight out of the box without any effort on your part and is extemely reliable buy the Daystate.

2) If you want some caliber versatility, are prepared to either put in some effort and not scared by the fact that your gun may be set up totally wrong, or really like to tinker until you get it right buy the FX.

Both guns are beautifully made, handle exceptionally well, use the same carbon 480cc bottle giving very high shot counts, have stocks that fit like a glove, great triggers and very slick sidelever actions.

I hate the FX mags but love the Daystate mag, trouble is mags are for plinking not serious shooting IMO, so the mag issue is largely irrelevant, the Daystate of course comes with a single shot tray that works really well, whereas the FX does not.
I own an FX Crown and CARM makes a beautiful single shot loader for it

As for having to tinker with the Crown . . . my .25 shoots one hole accurate with no tinkering. I still would love to own the Daystate Wolverine though. I own two Daystates already and love them both, but love my Crown too!

Reactions: Airgun Al
I would recommend the American Air Arms EVOL Paradigm in .30 over both the FX Crown and the Daystate Wolverine if you can swing it. No bottle is the way to go IMO. The .22/.177 Daystate Huntsman rifles are the absolute cat's meow!

Paradigm2.jpg

Well, you know the typical answer you get on this site, don't you? (And I've been spending more on airguns again lately than I should be...)

DSC00031.JPG

I normally want to have at least 1 Crown in the collection at all times. But a lot of my local Cowboy Action Shooting buddies, who I have been turning onto airguns, shoot my Crowns and then buy them from me. So when I saw a nice .25 cal Continuum at a reasonable price a few weeks back on the AGN classifieds, I bought it and installed the long barrel and a spare GRS stock I had to use as a longer range gun at the Cowboy range.

Then AoA advertised a standard power Wolverine as NOS on their pre-owned page, and it looked to have some very pretty wood (which it does!). I do a lot of shooting with my local buddies at 25-50 yards, so a standard power Wolverine shooting cheaper 18 gr pellets is a 'nice to have' (my Wolverine HP prefers 25's, but a bonus with that gun is that it shoots .217" slugs really well without changing the tune).

So the obvious answer to your original question: Both!;)

If I am honest, I will have to say that I shoot a 'normal' Crown (500-600mm barrel) much more often than I shoot my Wolverine HP - although maybe that is because the HP is kind of a specialty gun (long and powerful). And obviously the Crown is much easier to fine tune, if that is your thing.

But the new standard power Wolverine is pretty handy, and I see myself picking it up with equal regularity to a Crown in the future (especially as accurate as it seems to be with only the first few shots I have taken with it so far).

As said above, I always want to have a Crown in the collection. And I don't see myself ever parting with my Wolverines either.

Hope this helps you in your selection! It is definitely a high class 'problem' you have.

P.S.: I don't think that I would ever replace a bottle in the field. A 90 cu-in bottle is pretty darned portable, and I would carry one of those in a backpack and just use it to refill the gun. And then you could also have it for light tethering duties on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangeokie