FX Crown MKll barrel gromit (spacer) issue.

IMG_0067.1645452736.jpeg
IMG_0068.1645452773.jpeg

Hello fellow AGN shooters. I came across this issue with the FX Crown Continuum MKll .30 I purchased a few months ago and thought I would pass along the info. I wanted to try a .30 cal and thought the Continuum with two barrel lengths was a great idea, and I still do. The gun was untouched and shot as received. I never removed the barrel shroud until I went to change the barrel and found the issue. I first started shooting with the JSB 44.75 (most are 44.8+) and the 50. grain pellets. I had a little better luck with the 44's so I used them most of the time. My initial results were ok at best. Typical 10 shot groups would produce a seven round one ragged hole with three rounds out in the next time zone. This would happen time after time. It would stack four pellets then put two or three out opening up the group size from a 3/4 inch group to a two inch group @ 50 yds. 75 yds were about double that. The FX Hybrid slugs and NSA slugs were even worse. I went through the whole list of usual suspects, reg pressure, hammer power, loose scope, loose stock, moderator on, moderator off ect. and of course lead shaving. (Lead shaving being #1 on the list). I checked both ends of the moderator where I would expect to find evidence of lead streaks but found no evidence that this was the cause of the big fliers. These FX air rifles have an absolute stellar reputation for accuracy. I have several of them. I began to think maybe I got that one barrel that just doesn't like to play well with others. So I thought I'd try another barrel. Maybe a FX Superior Heavy and try some heaver slugs. ( At least I thought I ordered the "Heavy" but mistakenly ordered the "Superior" which is the same barrel that comes in the Crown MKll). I went over the procedure to remove the barrel shroud and barrel "liner" and was very careful in doing it. The pics show what I found. All three spacers were within 4 inches of each other and grouped where you see them. They should be evenly spaced apart with the first one about 1.2 inches from the end of the barrel. And sense I pulled the shroud off right to left they may have been even closer together and closer to the breach. There was enough shaved lead inside the the shroud and deposited on the spacers to make another tin of pellets. Now I'm not an air rifle expert but even I know that don't look right! The problem was obvious. It was shaving lead in a major way. With all the spacers being grouped together and that far from the end of the barrel, barrel "whip" must have been extreme causing the pellet and slugs to contact something, somewhere before exiting the barrel. So I did what I should have done in the first place. I checked the inside of the barrel shroud end cap and there they were. Two lead streaks. I just assumed that these streaks would be on the moderator entry or exit but they weren't. By the time the projectile got to the moderator it had already been "sized down" by the end cap and the damage was done. My bad. I removed the barrel and spacers, cleaned and inspected them for damage but found none. I reassembled the barrel and spacers and used some tape on both side of the spacers to hold them in place while carefully sliding the shroud back on. I also used a small amount of silicone lube on the rubber o-rings on the spacers to help them slide easier.

So did it work? 50 yd 5 shot groups went from an
IMG_0082.1645465272.jpeg
IMG_0084.1645465507.jpeg
IMG_0085.1645465528.jpeg
IMG_0087.1645465552.jpeg
inconsistent 3/4" - 1 1/2" groups to a consistent 3/8"to 1/2". The 75 yd pellet group in the pic was 9/16" and the FX hybrid slug was 5/8". All shot outside in mild wind. I did find that it would take about two rounds (see the first two in the X-ring on the 75yd slug pic) between switching from pellets to slugs for the groups to stabilize (but that is not that unusual). In summing this all up let me say this. I do not blame anyone nor am I angry at anybody. Sometimes these things just happen. Even a Ferrari can come off the assembly line with a loose lug nut. I am just thrilled that my gun is preforming like I knew it could. All of these modern day high end rifles perform very well. If yours is not it doesn't mean you got a piece of junk. It may be something as simple as a few spacers being where they shouldn't be.

Hope this posting might save someone else a little frustration.

Reactions: alpineboard
Not at all. It's an excellent design when assembled correctly. The three spacers should be spaced evenly down the length of the barrel thus supporting the barrel for its entire length and centering it in the shroud. Not grouped together in the middle. The problem might have been when the person at FX slid the shroud over the spacers he/she did it in a manner which inadvertently pushed the spacers down the barrel liner. The spacers are made to slid along the length of the barrel liner so you can change barrel calibers and lengths and still use the same spacers. Having the spacers grouped together at the breach end of the barrel and nothing supporting the far end of the barrel allowed the barrel to move or vibrate during the firing cycle (something called "barrel whip") and put the projectile off center causing it to just barely touch the shroud end cap. And even just a slight touch is enough to cause huge accuracy errors. The shroud must be installed over the spacers slowly and carefully so you don't move them. Now that I have the spacers in the proper position I would bet the house the problem is solved. As you can see from the before and after group sizes the system works very well. I'm sorry I didn't post a pic of the spacers on the barrel in their proper position but you can see it on many youtube videos.

You know, back pressure pushing the spacers down the barrel shroud (especially in .30 cal) makes more sense then poor assembly procedures. My only issue is that my accuracy was never as good as it is now. I wonder if FX is aware of the problem and might have a fix for it if that is indeed what is happening? Maybe a bigger vent hole at the base of the shroud in addition to taping the spacers in place? ( Now I'm wondering if I used enough tape). Thanks for the info.

The spacers are simply horrible, tried everting everyone suggested with tape and everything and still nope. Only thing fixed my accuracy/consistency issues is to get rid of spacers, in both my superlite and STX barrels. I’m just a random guy on the internet so take what I say with jar of salt, although I managed to shoot this group at 100 yards so it seems to work for me. 
BAE390A1-4F85-410B-A592-80C8B5D8B667.1645500560.jpeg

Where did you get the liner sleeve? Did you have to cut it?

Utah air and any other FX deals will/should have them, obviously availability can be spotty on caliber and size. You do not need to cut anything but you do need to order the correct size for your barrel. For Superlite barrels both crown and dreamlike just leave a spacer at the very end of the carbon sleeve at the muzzle end.

I found that every time I removed the shroud, the spacer was in a different position. Like you, I put some electricians tape on either side of it to hold it in position. Depending on barrel length, you could have 1, 2, or 3 spacers. Methinks FX should provide some guidance as to the proper positioning of these spacers. They need to address this issue because this surely affects the harmonics of the barrel vibration and accuracy. At least give us a starting position. This is kind of a Mickey Mouse design.

Liner support.jpg

Reactions: rcs9250
Old thread, but have come up with a solution to hold the spacers like permanently but still easily removable if need be so I thought I’d share-
Corbin Clamps
IMG_5423.jpeg

If the proper size is used the brackets of the clamp will clear the shroud if used on a bare liner.
If using the correct size clamp over a liner with a carbon fiber sleeve, slightly dremmel the edges of the tabs and round off the corners of the tabs and the shroud will just clear the tabs perfectly.
A clamp at each side of each spacer will guarantee the spacer will not move when removing or re installing the shroud

I found that every time I removed the shroud, the spacer was in a different position. Like you, I put some electricians tape on either side of it to hold it in position. Depending on barrel length, you could have 1, 2, or 3 spacers. Methinks FX should provide some guidance as to the proper positioning of these spacers. They need to address this issue because this surely affects the harmonics of the barrel vibration and accuracy. At least give us a starting position. This is kind of a Mickey Mouse design.

View attachment 307644

I've been seriously considering buying an FX Crown MkII Continuum, but then I stumbled onto this whole issue with the barrel/shroud spacers. Is this still the state of design on the new FX Crown MkII Superlite barrel? I agree with your comment "This is kind of a Mickey Mouse design."

If so, I can't believe FX is still marketing this Superlite barrel design: "Here you go. The spacers get blown back and out of position from firing. You figure out how to keep them in place, as we can't!"

What's the latest word from FX on this issue, if any?

Thanks!

Same situation, I am glad this was discovered and is an easy simple fix , Only wish I had checked it from day one. Am presently looking into a 700mm heavy slug barrel and possible carbon tube to go with it. Curiosity got me thinking, has anyone shot tested any of these barrels with the shroud removed, bare barrel and/or carbon tubed barrel? Just a thought to add for performance, how about a carbon tube for the shroud, easy right? shroud od=1.095" - carbon tube id 1.125"= 0.030" divide by 2 = 0.015" clearance, should work ok...? epoxy each end? https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-tubes#/orderby=5&sFilters=27!19020230812_121458.jpg20230812_124028.jpg20230820_182957.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KodiakJac
Same situation, I am glad this was discovered and is an easy simple fix , Only wish I had checked it from day one. Am presently looking into a 700mm heavy slug barrel and possible carbon tube to go with it. Curiosity got me thinking, has anyone shot tested any of these barrels with the shroud removed, bare barrel and/or carbon tubed barrel? Just a thought to add for performance, how about a carbon tube for the shroud, easy right?https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-tubes#/orderby=5&sFilters=27!190View attachment 385070View attachment 385071View attachment 385072
I put a carbon fiber shroud over the stock shroud more for aesthetics but it dose have the practical use of stiffening up the barrel
Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 4.53.22 AM.jpg