• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown MKII - Saber Tactical just arrived

I’ll post groups in the coming days as I get to shoot more, but I am super excited by my new delivery from SPAW! FX Crown MKII 22 in the Saber Tactical chassis.

I have owned many different rifles in the couple years I have been airgunning since coming over from rimfire. No rifle has floored me immediately, but this one did! I had to jump on it, and I’m so glad I did.

The Crown has always been on my radar since my first air gun show to look at rifles, because I prefer a rifle and definitely prefer adjustability. Saber Tactical knocked it out of the park by fixing the the one thing keeping me from the Crown... the stock. LOP adjustment, cheek riser, full length ARCA with pic rail to get that bipod way out there, and NOT wood or laminate... YES!!!!! 

I am very excited about this purchase. After a quick call with Ken at SPAW to lock it in, it arrived in about a week. It is every bit as nice as I hoped. I mentioned the things about the chassis that sucked me in, but let me share a few more thoughts from my first few hours with it. 

My Impacts came in hard cases and had cut outs for the rifle and accessories, but I was very happy to see that the case did not have cutouts. This makes it much more versatile. 

I had to go ahead and get another Donny to put on it, because being a Saber, no other moderator would look right! I am actually surprised by how heavy that little FX by Donny moderator felt. I know it doesn’t weigh a lot, but was still heavier than I expected. And it works. There is no reason I would have to put on a larger one. It works great, small, and inexpensive... check!

The adjustability is so easy all around. The cheek and LOP have notches and locking screws which is great to keep them locked in well. It is so nice to be able to comfortably address the rifle and not have to move around. This is the reason I have sold many of the bull pups that I’ve tried. I want to adjust the rifle to me, not the other way around. 

Love the large ARCA rail and pic rail at the end to get my bipod out there, and not have to use a bottle clamp. And it protects the bottle more. 

I had to update: EXCELLENT decision by FX to update the scope rail to 20MOA! Huge! Thanks you for listening and continuing to update your products to the things we are looking for. This could help some people skip adjustable rings all together. I don’t know how I forgot to write this the first time... one of my favorite updates!!

The FX magazines... love them or hate them, I remember how much I really love these mags. So easy and quick to load, so many shots, and still accurate with a magazine. Also love that they aren’t $80-100 like some mags. 

How does it shoot? I was only able to sight it and test some speeds out with a couple pellets before the rain came today, so I’ll be adding to this later. Ken set it up shooting the 22RDs as I requested, and is getting up to around 940 at the highest on the current setup. The settings near the top all had good groups in the 920-940 range. I’ll be interested to see how they compare with some more shots. I was hoping to be able to shoot the 18gr as well, so I was very eager to see what speeds I could shoot those on. On MIN, the 18gr were shooting right at 880, and very accurately as well. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get both those settings on this rifle for both pellets, so I am very happy to see that I can. I am also happy to see that it likes both pellets. I tried some FX and JSB both, and as usual, they were very similar in both weights, so again... winner. Being able to shoot 18 and 25 with minimal adjustment was one of the main reasons for trying the Crown, as my Red Wolf could easily do that, so I am happy to see at first glance that it looks like this is going to be easy.

I have had several rifles that were hold sensitive, and this rifle does not appear to be so far. Just what I hoped. I think the chassis probably helps with that by preventing some torquing of the stock that can happen with plastic and wood.

Oh yeah... currently set up on high, with the reg set at 150. Don’t have shot counts, because my Nitrogen tank is getting low, so I can only get up to around 220 bar right now. I was getting right at 3 mags with the 22RDs on MAX before dropping off the reg.

And it didn’t happen without pics!!

F30CD585-598E-4964-8B7A-3D172B3542A4.1606338156.jpeg
6A60A4E6-E790-4BA4-864F-96FE83279342.1606338157.jpeg

@Smok3y,

now that is one cool looking gun.

What’s it’s length and weight?

I love it!!

The length as is is 49” with the moderator and LOP adjusted out 1.5”. Remove the moderator (4.5” difference) and LOP moved back in (1.5”), and you are looking at 43”. 

The weight is right at 10.5lbs only removing the bipod from the picture. Remove the scope and rings (2.3lbs) and you are looking at around 8.2lbs.

Nah man. That bottom rail is stout! It is exactly what I expected and hoped for. It doesn’t move, no matter how I move the rifle with the bipod.

The upper pic rail is fine for me and my scope choice. I was able to basically mount my rings in the center of the tubes and have the scope where I want it. I was a little worried about that, but that all will depend on your scope choice, how much tube space you have to work with and your eye relief. That is one thing that bullpups offer than these rifle designs don’t, more flexibility in mounting options up there.

This reminds me of an EXCELLENT decision the makers made, and I will update my first post above... 20MOA on the scope rail!!!! Great job by FX listening to what users want/need. That helps a lot and could easily save you from having to buy adjustable rings. Huge thanks! 

Well, I was able to shoot for a couple hours today to test the various settings across 25 and 18gr ammo. I also tested one mag each of 17.5 and 20.5gr NSA slugs right at the end, just for a quick glance. I am loving the rifle and how it feels! I found some promising settings at 50yds, so I’ll be curious how it does at 100.

First off, I do not think the tune is as efficient as it could be, because of the way the speed goes up from MAX to 5/A before coming back down, with 4/B basically equalling MAX. That being said, it is shooting great right now. I’ll probably play around much more before addressing that, if at all, since MIN might be right for the 18gr pellets also. I’m guessing that the hammer spring is too high for the current reg pressure?? Is that what would make MAX actually be slower than 5/A? (The speed drops with a higher hammer spring setting)

I lined up some targets, and basically shot 3 shot groups and adjusted the hammer spring one step at a time to get a idea of speeds and a small sample of accuracy possibilities. I clicked around the full wheel with FX 25gr pellets and tested the lower speeds only for the FX 18gr pellets. I then decided to shoot some 3 shot groups with a few of the speeds they liked. Complain about 3 shot groups if you want, but this is just initial fact finding, and I didn’t want to waste any more pellets than necessary right off the bat. 

The FX 25gr liked MAX thru A/5 the most and the A.5 step setting had some of the best groups in initial testing right around 920. MAX/4/B did ok around 915, and A/5 at 935 looked ok too.

The FX 18gr liked MIN which was right around 888 which was too be expected, but I was surprised at the 2/D settings shooting around 970-975. I’ll be curious to see if that speed still works past 50.

I said I only shot one mag of the 17.5 and 20.5 NSA. The 17.5 (216.5) came together in a great group around 1040. The 20.5 (217) didn’t seem to care which setting they were on as they were shooting right at 993 on several settings in a row, and did ok. I only have a few of the 17.5 remaining but have a couple boxes of the 20.5, so I’ll probably get to test those out some more.

All shooting was quick... fire, cock, fire. Aiming at center for all shots. Again, getting some base testing going, but here are some pics. Again, started off just looking for the speed changes across the wheel, and then testing a a few of the speeds a little more. Lots more work to do!

AD16329B-420A-495B-BEFB-5A0C1D38FA01.1606434349.jpeg
87074EB5-4AE7-4CB8-BB16-39FC2BC7A431.1606434350.jpeg
1219EC7B-7149-4F74-B893-E711BC443680.1606434351.jpeg

I shot around some more today, and I think I might leave the hammer spring as is for now. Speeds seemed a touch hotter today on the top end a touch lower on the bottom end.

The 18gr are shooting amazing on MIN averaging around 878 today. Best shooting I’ve had with 18gr ever. My Uragan had that claimed until now. It actually had the best groups at 100 of all today (even though I only shot 8 total groups that far, as I again fleas focused on narrowing down what it likes the most at 50.

The 25gr are shooting very well still on my A.5 setting around 930, and I played around a little with B around 915 at the end before it got dark. It seems to possibly really like that setting. MAX is the same speed but much less consistent (too much hammer spring I guess).

Next time out, I’ll focus on MIN for the 18gr, and test between 915 and 930 for the 25gr.

Sorry, no shot count data, as I’m limited on air with the Nitro running low. I was only getting to fill up to 210 and shooting down to 150. 

Rectangles at 1/2” tall by 5/8” wide. Must have miscalculated in Excel when I created them, but just decided to stick with them until I need to print again.

C41EEF17-61AE-4B22-9069-9990323A73FD.1606516638.jpeg
AE111AC4-7B13-46F7-891C-455528075B31.1606516639.jpeg

Have you noticed any loose fit to the lower Picatinny rail that is mounted to the gun?

The mounting screws seem tight enough, but there is some wiggle.

Is the upper Picatinny long enough?

Sorry for jumping on this thread, but I am trying to see any solutions of the same issue written above. 

Have you found a solution by now?