• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown Mk2 and Impact M3

I own an Impact MKII in 30 cal which I use for hunting only now. Why....Because I bought a Crown MKII in 25 used, and tuned it to 930 FPS with the JSB MKII's and it is a tack driver. I compete with this rifle in XFT in Arizona....The wife competes with a 25 Crown MKII also...I have the Saber Tactical stock on mine and the wife has a gray laminate stock. I am currently working on an MKI Crown with a 380 mm 22 barrel for a lightweight hunting rifle....I do like the MKII better because of the pic rail on top, the larger plenum for more shots, and the way the barrel is held into the receiver it s sturdier.....I would not pass on a MKI if it was cheap...... super easy to work on and tune compared to my Impact.

Tony P.

I have a .25 Mk2 Crown with the 600mm barrel in a Saber Tactical chassis and I think it is perfect for bench shooting. I have the harmonic tuner installed and it shoots FX heavy pellets and JSB Knock Outs at 910 fps into a ragged hole at 50 yards. It's easy to tune, you just have to put in the time.

My buddy has an Impact M3, also in .25, and we shoot together often. Tuning his M3 was much more complicated and time consuming. 

For the money, it's hard to beat the Crown in the Saber Tactical chassis. If you got the Impact M3, you would need to add the buttstock, bag rider, cheek riser and front rail just to get the level of adjustment of the Crown.

On the bench, with an AccuTac F-class bipod and a bag in the back, the Crown is rock solid.

It's only as complicated and involved as you make it. If you're going to change it every week yes. That's the beauty of the Impact. You can tune it (yes it may take a bit of time) and forget it. Just keep shooting the same projectile at the same speed. You can also change it frequently if you want and complicate it by chasing every last bit of accuracy. The choice is yours. It's good to have a choice.

I have the Crown MK2 .22 in the Saber Tactical chassis with 600 mm barrel. It is a fantastic rifle. I like it so much in fact that I just bought another one used from our own classifieds. I am really happy with the adjustability of the chassis and the overall form factor of the rifle. It also shoots incredibly well with JSB 18.13 and NSA 24.8 and 27.5 slugs. It seems to like .217 slugs best so far and like my Impact it likes the slugs lightly lubed with Balistol. The only real downside to the rifle is that you have to remove the chassis to make fine adjustments to the hammer spring and removing the chassis is not a quick process. But…small price to pay for a terrific rifle. Just like most FX rifles be prepared for faulty gauges that aren’t accurate. FX USA is great to work with and they will replace the gauges under warranty. I just wish they would use better gauges from the start.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the rifle. I’d be happy to help.

Kenny
Kenney
I purchased the MK1 impact and a month later the MK 2 came out.I realize you can end up being a dog chairing his tail trying to keep up with the technology as it continues to evolve.
Ima out ready too make the purchase of a Crown MK2 Continuum.would be interested your thoughts and anyone else’s as to the likelihood of another up grade of the Crown to a MK3 in the near term . Or is this where the Crown technology will settle for a while
Thanks for your and others replies on this thread they have been helpful educating me on the Strengths of the Crown MK 2
Robert

HoldenOver-
It’s hard to say when or if FX will release a MK3 version of the Crown. It does seem that they‘ve squeezed the most performance possible from the Crown. However, this is FX and they continue to push the envelope in the airgun world. My gut feeling is that there will be an MK3 but who knows for sure.

When it comes to buying a Crown today I would recommend getting a 600mm in the caliber of your choice. I think the Continuum comes with one barrel that is too short and one too long. The 380mm barrel might be great for pellets if you want a compact rifle. I think the 700mm barrel on a Crown would be too long. Of course it all depends on your intended purpose. The 600mm is a good balance between power and size.

In .22 caliber the factory standard 600 mm MK2 will push a NSA 24.8 grain slug to 940fps without straining itself and with a turn of two quick dials it will then shoot the JSB 18.13 at 885fps. The slug and the pellet will both shoot GREAT. The slug tune will get you about 45 shots on reg and the quickly adjusted pellet tune will get over 100 shots. I haven’t actually counted them but it is a lot.

On paper the ability to change barrels sounds great but in reality once you do the work to develop a great tune you won’t want to swap barrels and do it all over again. At least I don’t. If you are looking at .177 then everything I said still holds true but then the 500mm barrel becomes a very useful length as well.

Well I hope my opinion helped you some. I know others will have different opinions so listen to them all and make your best informed decision. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Kenny​

Reactions: woodman73