• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown Mk2 and Impact M3

M3 is going to give you more external adjustability (for those who wish to tune more often for different projectiles) and will be able to make more ultimate power than the Crown (for those who want to shoot the heaviest slugs fast).

M3 will likely require a little more maintenance over its life as it has more o-rings (potential leak paths). Plus it has had a few more issues out of the gate as it is a more revised design than the Crown was going from the Mk1 to the Mk2.

To me the M3 seems to be a little faster shooting gun, which would benefit one shooting, for example, speed silhouette. Also to me the Crown (as a traditional wood stocked rifle) is easier to shoot repeatably accurately as compared to any of the Impacts off the bench, especially at distances like 75-100 yards +.

M3 has the nice large magazine so you can spend a little more time shooting and less time loading. Especially if you use something like the Stud mag loading system (older or new version).

I have the MKII crown, and absolutely love it. I am shooting NSA 23gr slugs at 980fps, it is an absolute tack driver. I have the GRS stocked version, with the element titan scope. Easy to tune, shoots amazing, comfortable, very little maintenance. The only issue I have had has been the barrel liner coming loose. FX used 5 orings and a compression nut to hold the liner in, and mine came loose allowing the liner to slide out, and get the slugs sideways. 5 new orings and problem solved. Hope this helps

I have the Crown MK2 .22 in the Saber Tactical chassis with 600 mm barrel. It is a fantastic rifle. I like it so much in fact that I just bought another one used from our own classifieds. I am really happy with the adjustability of the chassis and the overall form factor of the rifle. It also shoots incredibly well with JSB 18.13 and NSA 24.8 and 27.5 slugs. It seems to like .217 slugs best so far and like my Impact it likes the slugs lightly lubed with Balistol. The only real downside to the rifle is that you have to remove the chassis to make fine adjustments to the hammer spring and removing the chassis is not a quick process. But…small price to pay for a terrific rifle. Just like most FX rifles be prepared for faulty gauges that aren’t accurate. FX USA is great to work with and they will replace the gauges under warranty. I just wish they would use better gauges from the start.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the rifle. I’d be happy to help.

Kenny

I have both a MK II and a M3 Impact, as well as 2 MK II Crowns, one currently a 700mm .30 cal in walnut and the other a 500mm .22 with a laminate stock. They are very different guns. I agree with Corvid_hunter regarding the form factor of the Crown being more suited to the Bench. I find it a much better gun to use from the bench than the Impact. The 700mm barrels in particular are unwieldy to move around with, though they do still shoulder nicely. Ergonomically, a Crown with a 380mm or 500mm barrel is very, very hard to beat.

On the other hand, the Impact is a machine. A really great machine, and obviously I like them, or I wouldn’t have got a second one (the M3). It will make more power than a Crown if you tune at the high end, but honestly, unless you are trying to build a slug machine, there’s not much between them. Capacity, size and power define the Impact. For any given barrel length and power output the Impact will be smaller and give more capacity (28 rounds in .22 for the Impact versus 18 for the Crown). There is no difference in accuracy, at least at practical distances for pellet shooting (10-100 yards).

I love them both!

Chris

Another thumbs up for the ST crown. If you don’t shoot pass 100 yards much you don’t need the impact. However the impact is a lot harder to shoot consistently due to lack of rigidity of the frame/chassis. My ST and GRS crowns are hands down easier to be more accurate than my impact.

However, if you can be consistent with the impact it can be better at 200 plus yards range thanks to huge amount of power to shoot the extra heavy high BC slugs. It really isn’t that bad if you get the ST lower rail extension and the butt stock. Crown ST chassis is still night and day stiffer!!! I’m still tinkering with different ideas on how to stiffen the Impact chassis. 

I have the MKII crown, and absolutely love it. I am shooting NSA 23gr slugs at 980fps, it is an absolute tack driver. I have the GRS stocked version, with the element titan scope. Easy to tune, shoots amazing, comfortable, very little maintenance. The only issue I have had has been the barrel liner coming loose. FX used 5 orings and a compression nut to hold the liner in, and mine came loose allowing the liner to slide out, and get the slugs sideways. 5 new orings and problem solved. Hope this helps

Hi, is this with 600mm barrel? Have you done any mods or is that with standard gun, what reg pressure to get them speeds

What caliber does everyone prefer on the crown. I got my impact and loving the gun. Super accurate like hole in hole no problem. The crown just looks beautiful

All the calibers are great with the Crown. I currently have my two set up as a .22 500mm barrel and a .30 700mm barrel powerhouse. Both are still just lovely to shoot, whether offhand or from the bench. Obviously the one with the 500mm barrel is a little easier to walk around with. I also have .25 cal 380mm and 600mm barrels. Love them all. 

Its hard to go wrong with a Crown in my opinion.

Chris

I have been looking at both of these rifles with a 600mm barrel in .22 caliber to be used for benchrest paper punching. Besides one being a bull pup are there any real differences in the rifles?

If you like fiddling with the rifle over and over and what to get your ears blasted with the magazine below your ears get the impact

If you want almost zero messing around with your rifle and one that's closer to a standard real rife with the action and mag in front of you get the Crown

Crown Trijiconi.1649611677.jpg
Crown Hawke.1649611681.jpg

Hi, is this with 600mm barrel? Have you done any mods or is that with standard gun, what reg pressure to get them speeds

My 600mm grs crown mk2 did need a hammer weight to reach these speeds with 23gr and above. I just shortened a maverick 13.5 gram hammer weight slightly and took the guide off of the hammer shuttle. 

Other than that, owning two (500mm and 700mm) Hein Frommann modified mk2 impacts I agree with others here that while accuracy potential is the same and possibly greater for the impact at extremely long ranges, the crown is just less hold sensitive and more forgiving of any failings in your shooting technique.

All of the above are in 0.22 btw. I'm in South Africa so it's 0.177 and 0.22 only for me.