FX Crown Mark 2 on it's way

I have had an on and off again relationship with high end PCP rifles for some time, owning a 30 cal bobcat Mark 2 and the Streamline. It's been mostly dictated by the lack of air filling places nearby, and prices of compressors. With the way the airgun industry has advanced, there are now more economical choices for someone that doesn't do high volume shooting, making it more practice to purchase a setup, which opens up options for more larger tank rifles. So I decided to give the high-end PCPs another shot. Especially since the price of regular ammo has been much higher.

The gun I purchased has the 500mm barrel, which should cover most of my needs. However, I do plan on purchasing longer barrel in future. 

Question:

What bipod method do people prefer on the Crown, bottle clamp or drilling stock for pic-rail? which Pic rail?

It will have walnut stock.

Any experience or insights to get me started? Tried searching for Crown in forum but it said nothing found.

I couldn’t convince myself to drill my stock, but once the newness where’s off, I probably will. I went ahead and put a ST bottle clamp on it, and will have to cut the foam in the case to accommodate the clamp. 
2A5FB307-488D-4591-ADAF-04D611D63FB4.1623089116.jpeg

Congrats on your purchase. The Crown is a great gun, I’m sure you’ll love it.

Either mounting option will work. The clamp will get your bipod out front a little farther without having to add another accessory. I prefer the look of the pic rail mounted to the stock but that’s totally preference. If you do attach a pic rail to the stock, get either an Accu Shot BT-15 or BT-17 and the proper BT-1517 mounting hardware. It is a little more expensive(still only $25) than cheaply made stuff on Amazon or elsewhere but it’s worth it, especially since it’s going on a beautiful, $2000 air gun! Make sure to take your time and do everything properly(drill the holes straight and counter sink the interior holes for the BT-1517 nuts). I’m sure I’m not the only one who has skimped on hardware or gotten one of the holes drilled off center a bit...Not good! It’s not a big deal, just make sure to do it right the first time! 😉

Either one will serve you well, it’s more preference than anything else. Good luck!

Stoti

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/50-1913-picatinny-rails-and-adaptors

I have always appreciated the used Crowns (and other guns) which I have purchased which have a little Pic rail already attached to the bottom of the stock. For those which don't, I just use the Saber Tactical bottle clamp rail.

Maybe the latter is the better choice as you can choose to remove it whenever you want. I go through phases where I will shoot off a front bipod/rear bag, or front & rear bags, or out of a rest like a Caldwell Stinger. Nicer (but not by any means required) to have a smooth & wide stock base which goes onto the front bag. Just a little more stable than perching your narrow Pic rail section onto the bag, but not by too much since the bag is not overstuffed and retains compliance around the stock.

What caliber is your new Crown? I think that you will really enjoy it. Just a little bit more of a PITA with them to get your initial fine tuning done (have to remove the stock to get to the hammer spring pre-load grub screw) as compared to an Impact, but sometimes I get lucky and get the tune I need just by turning the hammer spring wheel, and don't need to fine-tune further.

And even if a larger caliber, don't disregard the transfer port setting dial. I have sometimes found in the past that a pretty high hammer spring pre-load setting combined with a 'Med' transfer port setting creates a very easy shooting and accurate gun.

I have a real atlas on mine, but in retrospect would prefer an Accutac. The cant in very stiff on the atlas, and unless the bottle is tight, it will turn before the bipod will cant. A well mounted pic rail is preferable IMO.

Thanks Scotty, 

I will probably put the atlas Pic rail on the stock, as it is going to be the most solid setup. I have an accu-tac pc-4 which just came today that will serve duty between the Crown and my other rifles.

I have always appreciated the used Crowns (and other guns) which I have purchased which have a little Pic rail already attached to the bottom of the stock. For those which don't, I just use the Saber Tactical bottle clamp rail.

Maybe the latter is the better choice as you can choose to remove it whenever you want. I go through phases where I will shoot off a front bipod/rear bag, or front & rear bags, or out of a rest like a Caldwell Stinger. Nicer (but not by any means required) to have a smooth & wide stock base which goes onto the front bag. Just a little more stable than perching your narrow Pic rail section onto the bag, but not by too much since the bag is not overstuffed and retains compliance around the stock.

What caliber is your new Crown? I think that you will really enjoy it. Just a little bit more of a PITA with them to get your initial fine tuning done (have to remove the stock to get to the hammer spring pre-load grub screw) as compared to an Impact, but sometimes I get lucky and get the tune I need just by turning the hammer spring wheel, and don't need to fine-tune further.

And even if a larger caliber, don't disregard the transfer port setting dial. I have sometimes found in the past that a pretty high hammer spring pre-load setting combined with a 'Med' transfer port setting creates a very easy shooting and accurate gun.

Thanks,

I have the .22 coming, as it is more practical for most of my shooting, might get the .25 later. 

As an example to my above point, one of my .22 Crowns with 600mm barrel is set up to shoot JSB 18.13's. It has shown the best accuracy and consistency with the HS=MAX and the TP=Med, with pellets averaging 882 fps at those settings. My other .22 Crown (also 600mm) is set up to shoot the JSB 25.39's. On that gun my best shooting happens when I achieve an average of 880 fps with the heavier pellet, with HS=5 and TP=Hi. Reg pressures on both are 120.

So don't just change one wheel. Balance both of them together and you can get a really sweet shooting rifle.