• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Crown leak?

That’s not going to cause leaks. What else did you work on on the gun?

So based on your description, I’m imagining a mag not inserted properly or a pellet advanced into the breech properly, and you muscled the cocking lever forward anyway? We’re you able to fire a shot?

Or did you accidentally pull the trigger with the cocking linkage wide open pulled back?

It’s all in the details
Hi Bigragu,
Thank you for your reply. I did take a couple of shots ( one pellet hit the target sideways), but they went way off the middle of the target to the edge of the target at 20 feet. I have one of these newer Crown magazines which require a 180-degree turn on the knob in the middle, but I had only turned it 90 degrees so I had to push the magazine in place a little harder than usual but not a lot. Other than that I didn't do anything. Mind you, before taking the shots the level of the dial was less than a hundred bar. While taking the shots, I didn't hear any hissing, but then as I started I refilling the bottle, I started hearing a lot of hissing, and within a couple of minutes, 200 bars of pressure reduced to almost zero. Maybe the leaking had already started beforehand and I hadn't noticed. I hadn't used the gun in a year. And by the way, it's a 1st generation .22.

Last edited:
Are you the original owner? If not, it sounds like one of the o rings in the regulator is compromised. 6 o rings total in the reg. If air is oozing out the barrel then it’s a valve issue. The earlier crowns don’t like high reg pressures, and I’ve seen that valve stem blow thru the valve seats if over powered.

You can also do as much damage to the valve if you shoot the gun way below reg pressure, as that hammer slamming against the valve stem doesn’t have enough buffer behind it in high pressure air.

The regulator, if you’ve never worked on one, can be tricky and easy to botch up. If it’s the valve it’s going to require about 75% disassembly, and possibly new parts.

If you want to attempt the fix yourself, I’d start by going into FX’s website in their support section. The MK1 crown parts diagrams are very detailed and list all the o ring sizes, part numbers, etc. from there you can contact FXUSA via email with the part numbers on hand and they’ll invoice you.

The all metric o rings, well, the best approach is to source them yourself thru an o ring vendor such as oringsandmore.com. I would guess an entire metric o ring kit for that gun would be less than $25 with shipping, and you’ll have enough o rings to reseal that gun at least 25 times over.

But if you’d rather not invest that time, eBay has pre made kits but a lot of those kits come from the UK, and there’s that shipping to deal with. I’ll leave that as your call.

There are youtube FX masterclass videos put on by FX and Ernest Rowe, that show full disassembly and reassembly of that gun.

Last option is to send your gun in to FXUSA, if you feel all I’ve explained may be overwhelming or your own schedule doesn’t allow you the time to do those repairs.

Feel free to send me a pm if you have other questions.

If it were me, the first thing I would do is source the leak.
I use a nose dropper filled with leak detection solution from the Home Depot plumbing dept, and drop droplets of that stuff in all the high pressure area seams of the Gun. The bubbles will show fast. Once found, it’ll help you make the decision wether you want to tackle the repair yourself or not.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: DNF
Are you the original owner? If not, it sounds like one of the o rings in the regulator is compromised. 6 o rings total in the reg. If air is oozing out the barrel then it’s a valve issue. The earlier crowns don’t like high reg pressures, and I’ve seen that valve stem blow thru the valve seats if over powered.

You can also do as much damage to the valve if you shoot the gun way below reg pressure, as that hammer slamming against the valve stem doesn’t have enough buffer behind it in high pressure air.

The regulator, if you’ve never worked on one, can be tricky and easy to botch up. If it’s the valve it’s going to require about 75% disassembly, and possibly new parts.

If you want to attempt the fix yourself, I’d start by going into FX’s website in their support section. The MK1 crown parts diagrams are very detailed and list all the o ring sizes, part numbers, etc. from there you can contact FXUSA via email with the part numbers on hand and they’ll invoice you.

The all metric o rings, well, the best approach is to source them yourself thru an o ring vendor such as oringsandmore.com. I would guess an entire metric o ring kit for that gun would be less than $25 with shipping, and you’ll have enough o rings to reseal that gun at least 25 times over.

But if you’d rather not invest that time, eBay has pre made kits but a lot of those kits come from the UK, and there’s that shipping to deal with. I’ll leave that as your call.

There are youtube FX masterclass videos put on by FX and Ernest Rowe, that show full disassembly and reassembly of that gun.

Last option is to send your gun in to FXUSA, if you feel all I’ve explained may be overwhelming or your own schedule doesn’t allow you the time to do those repairs.

I use a nose dropper filled with leak detection solution from the Home Depot plumbing dept, and drop droplets of that stuff in all the high pressure area seams of the Gun. The bubbles will show fast. Once found, it’ll help you make the decision wether you want to tackle the repair yourself or not.

Good luck
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. . I have seen a few of Ernest Rowe's videos. I Will try to source the leak and let you know. All the best.

Last edited:
My experience leads me to believe your regulator is leaking. Often, if you have untouched the reg settings for a long time and especially if they were installed without silicon oil or grease, they seize and when moved, they start leaking. Your fault will be the small 1x2mm O ring on the end of the reg's adjustment screw. The problem is that when you disassemble the reg, ALL the associated O rings must be renewed. Once disturbed, they are done. That bleed hole on the side of the receiver is the clue. There is an IPB on the FX website for your gun with all the part numbers. The O rings will be also identified by type, size and Shore A hardness. I highly recommend that you make an accurate master list of everyone used in your gun. Then go to a professional industrial supplier and order at least 10 replacements or more of every one. They are cheap, especially when compared to the delay and frustration of not having them on hand when you need them. You should do this for every PCP gun you own. Leaks occur on a regular basis on all PCP guns. O rings are perishable. Be prepared. You will get good at changing them with practice and you will get to practice......

On Edit, my guess is a 50% shot. If you have a plenum leak, you could have the same indication. Leaking out of the barrel indicates a pin valve leak.

Last edited:
My experience leads me to believe your regulator is leaking. Often, if you have untouched the reg settings for a long time and especially if they were installed without silicon oil or grease, they seize and when moved, they start leaking. Your fault will be the small 1x2mm O ring on the end of the reg's adjustment screw. The problem is that when you disassemble the reg, ALL the associated O rings must be renewed. Once disturbed, they are done. That bleed hole on the side of the receiver is the clue. There is an IPB on the FX website for your gun with all the part numbers. The O rings will be also identified by type, size and Shore A hardness. I highly recommend that you make an accurate master list of everyone used in your gun. Then go to a professional industrial supplier and order at least 10 replacements or more of every one. They are cheap, especially when compared to the delay and frustration of not having them on hand when you need them. You should do this for every PCP gun you own. Leaks occur on a regular basis on all PCP guns. O rings are perishable. Be prepared. You will get good at changing them with practice and you will get to practice......

On Edit, my guess is a 50% shot. If you have a plenum leak, you could have the same indication. Leaking out of the barrel indicates a pin valve leak.
Thank you very much again. Within a few days. I will start the job of assessing and identifying the culprit and replacing the faulty parts granted I will find them. I soon as I get any results I will keep all the interested parties informed.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas

Good luck
Hi there! You were right. The leak was due to the regulator. The O-ring on the housing had become compromised. Meanwhile, I have watched all the videos from Ernest Rowe and another great one. I think I have it covered. Although, I've had a lot of trouble with one of the two barrel screws. It just won't budge. I have heated it with a hairdryer and ever left a few drops of WD 40 over it but with no result. Of course, I don't need to remove the barrel to fix this problem, but that will be an issue anytime I need to remove the barrel for any reason. I, as yet, have to source the O-rings for the regulator. But "m trying to source it from a friend. By the way, what does "CPL" in "Valve seat CPL" stand for? Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
Thank you very much again. Within a few days. I will start the job of assessing and identifying the culprit and replacing the faulty parts granted I will find them. I soon as I get any results I will keep all the interested parties informed.

Thank you for the information you shared. You were right. The problem was with the regulator. I'm sourcing the O-rings from a friend this time and soon I'll do what you suggested. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me.