• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

FX Crown for FT HFT

Ah! I was literally thinking of the same thing! I have one setup for long range already so the second one i was thinking about setting up for casual FT/HFT but in compact form so I can use it in my back yard. 

Literally just reconfigured my Crown to this configuration, i absolutely LOVE the GRS in compact form so even if it doesn’t really work that well I still love it and will have fun with it. 
952E314A-BE58-49D0-A119-D941B3B5F998.1641949389.jpeg

GRS crown with 300mm 177 barrel, 300cc bottle and element helix 6-24 SFP. Probably will target shooting JSB 10.5g heavy or 13 g monster redesign, still deciding which pellets to try. 

Ah! I was literally thinking of the same thing! I have one setup for long range already so the second one i was thinking about setting up for casual FT/HFT but in compact form so I can use it in my back yard. 

Literally just reconfigured my Crown to this configuration, i absolutely LOVE the compact form so even if it doesn’t really work that well I still love it and will have fun with it. 
952E314A-BE58-49D0-A119-D941B3B5F998.1641949389.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

GRS crown with 300mm 177 barrel and 300cc bottle. Probably will target shooting JSB 10.5g heavy or 13 g monster redesign, still deciding which pellets to try.

What are you using for optics? I was thinking a 500mm .177 barrel with moderator, but 300mm looks nice.

I’ve heard the “myth” about FX not making decent .177 barrels. But I have personally seen more evidence that they’re really pretty good. I just think small caliber is not what FX focuses on. Over the years, I’ve never seen many .177 for sale (retail or second hand) and I think that makes people think they’re not good. I used this one to finish 9th out of 66 people in Hunter PCP at the 2019 Pyramyd Air Cup (along with several wins at smaller club matches). Not sure of the barrel length, but it’s an older one with the extendable shroud that slides 3-4 inches out. The synthetic stock is much lighter than the wood or laminate and I worried less about breaking that delicate thumb hole. It shot 13.43 gr JSB monsters extremely well back when most guys were shooting 10.34 heavies. It’s topped with one of my favorite FT scopes, a Sightron SIII FT 10-50x60. I knew a shooter at my club that also used a crown that he eventually sold to another member. Both of them were always lurking around the top of the leader boards with that Crown. Definitely no reason you can’t do really well with a .177 crown.

341269BD-D8EE-4095-B494-AE9819854A5E.1641951915.jpeg

I have a Dreamline Aeron FT in 177 that shot well enough to get me 5th in state last year. SO FX can shoot with the best.

I also have a Crown synthetic in 177 that really shoots very well also. But I haven't shot it in a match yet as I am struggling to get the regulator creep under control. It just keeps climbing to where I would be over 20 ft lbs less than halfway thru the match. Can't really trust it but still haven't givin up on it just just yet. It's not that it doesn't shoot well enough, It's just that it can't stay at one speed. I just ordered a Huma Regulator and hoping that will cure my problems

Thx

Dan

Re: FX .177...I am happy with my Impact in .177 setup for HFT at just under 20 fpe. Hoping it will someday shoot as well as my Air Arms HFT 500. To that end, so far I have added a Huma 2nd reg (improved consistency) and a carbon fiber barrel sleeve. Polishing the barrel helped quite a bit. 

My setup is a 500mm barrel with a 100mm stripper so it looks like a 600. Prefers JSB 13.3, shoots the 10's well also, and Barracuda hunter extreme (no go with JSB Hades). Hoping to try a 600 barrel with the carbon fiber housing...probably overkill but I am enjoying the journey down the rabbit hole.

20211114_110536 2.1641994583.jpg

@tnbndr: the scope is Element Helix SFP 6-24, will leave it on 16. I had in the cabinet and really love the scope even though it doesn’t have the best glass. It has many features I think would lend itself well to HFT, will see once I actually try it. 

also 177 in 300mm barrel won’t get you to 20 FPE but can very easily achieve 14-15 FPE with heavier pellets while still being very efficient and accurate. 

Re: FX .177...I am happy with my Impact in .177 setup for HFT at just under 20 fpe. Hoping it will someday shoot as well as my Air Arms HFT 500. To that end, so far I have added a Huma 2nd reg (improved consistency) and a carbon fiber barrel sleeve. Polishing the barrel helped quite a bit. 

My setup is a 500mm barrel with a 100mm stripper so it looks like a 600. Prefers JSB 13.3, shoots the 10's well also, and Barracuda hunter extreme (no go with JSB Hades). Hoping to try a 600 barrel with the carbon fiber housing...probably overkill but I am enjoying the journey down the rabbit hole.

20211114_110536 2.1641994583.jpg

I'm hoping to get a AA HFT 500 some day. Do you find the sub 12 ftlb tune it has to be a major disadvantage?

I've had two Mk1 Crowns in .177 in the past.

I DO NOT BELIEVE the hype about FX not making a good .177 barrel.

Either of my Crowns would keep up with any other gun I've ever owned or shot...and that's A LOT of them.

It did, however, take me some time to figure out what pellets they liked best.

For both of my guns, it was the JSB OLD Monster 13.43gr.

However, it was a specific kind of old monster.

If you look into the base of the pellets, you'll find differences.

Mine liked the ones with the smaller, deeper indentation.

Some have a larger, shallower indentation....and neither of my guns liked them as much as the others.

Both guns threw them at about 810fps IIRC. Just about 19.5fpe.

-Donnie

Reactions: qball and davit66
So for sh!ts and grin I got a 380mm 177 custom chopped barrel from a member here and added carbon bits I always do. It shoots the 10.3 grain pellet at 900fps into the same little hole over and over again. I do think it’s an older STX 177 barrel not the newer superior version because it is not as consistent with crosman pellets like my other newer FX 177 liners. Still does fantastic with JSB 10.3g pellets, will try beasts later. I do think the crown does have what it takes to be very good at HFT but need the right tune. Down side of having massive adjustability is we can mess up our guns really quick! Hahaha 

Reactions: davit66