• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

FX Crown competitors

About ready to step up the game and treat myself, looking at Crown Mkii in .22. Would love to swing for the continuum kit but will likely end up with a 500mm Synthetic.
Question is, is there another option in:
- traditional rifle format (not a fan of action or airtube near my ear)
- less than 40” not including moderator
- adjustable, I have my avenger tuned to go 22 to 35fpe with hammer spring only and I use it
- sub 7lb
- needs to shoot pellets (I have tons of cphp and jsb 18s)
- as well as slugs (I also have tons of Nielson 17-23gr)
- budget is up to about $1500 on the upper end

What I have now:
Avenger .22
Flashpup .22
PP 750 .177
RWS D48 .22
(So you see this is a treat for me)

Aspirations long term include HFT, NRL22, possibly bench?
Not a hunter, I pest rats in urban (has to be quietish) backyard and paper punch 20-125 yd. When target shooting I usually use sticks and stool or a natural rest, sometimes prone if I’m feelin it.

I like the idea of the Crown for its versatility and the opportunity to try out some higher weight slugs for 100yd.

Thanks for reading. You all have been a wealth of knowledge over the years so interested in ideas if any seem to fit and maybe other input to consider.

I was thinking of a Crown before I got my first P35. I'm loving bullpups which you don't like. I think the FX dreamline also might fit your needs. Ultimate power capability might be higher for the Crown but you don't seem super power hungry. The classic in a walnut stock looks great or there is the ultra light for a more tactical look. You also are not stuck with the configuration you choose first, they can be converted to the other configurations (and barrel lengths and types of barrels). Same very accurate FX barrel.

I am not versed well enough in all other air guns, but I have a Crown MKII in 25 with a 600mm barrel. I had a Crown MKII GRS in 25 as well that came witch 2 barrels. I no longer have the GRS. I did not care for the stock. Much prefer the Synthetic.
Any rate, I used to think multiple barrels was a good option. I now would not waste my time or money on it. Once you get your gun all set up and shooting good, the last thing you are going to want to do is change the barrel, retune and re-zero the scope. It just ain’t worth the trouble.
I chose the 600 because I wanted to shoot slugs. The 500 may shoot slugs, but it will consume some air getting it done. The 600 is not, repeat not, an easy gun to maneuver nor manipulate in tighter quarters. I think the 500 would be much better suited. If I was going to limit my shooting to pellets, I would look hard at the 380mm barrel. My GRS had one and I loved it. Made the Crown a great walk around hunter and delivered all the power I wanted out of pellets.
If you go Crown, I think you will really like it. Sadly mine is throwing shade on my M3 now. I prefer the Crown over my M3.

I have a Redwolf, so cannot speak for a crown, but every time I read about them, nothing but raves. I am thinking of one for my next rifle as well.

Reactions: whyzee
I have a crown walnut 600mm in .22, and currently have it tuned for 23gn nsa slugs. I like its accuracy, and fairly tame nature at this power level with that barrel, but as chukar said, it’s loooong in this configuration. For this reason, I purchased a 380 barrel. My setup now is for carrying in the woods, I use my 380 barrel and shoot 18gn pellets. When I need more power to use slugs for longer distance (obviously won’t be woods walking for that), I swap over to the 600 barrel and take 5 shots to zero the scope for that outing. If I woods walk AND long range in the same outing, I bring my impact for the long range work, and keep my crown setup for the woods. It’s much more comfortable to shoulder for me, and easier to maneuver. The impact does better for me rested (at least with a bipod), and I still don’t get the ping in my ear (I feel the same about bullpups as you) because the impact t hammer is up front even though it’s a bullpup.

You couldn’t have picked a better platform!!! My only gripe with the synthetic stock is the lack of adjustable cheek piece.

Even after 2 crowns and a Panthera on the way this still looks tempting at $1199……must resist!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: cra627 and DNF
Madeintheuk, that is great input. When I go out shooting it’s usually a dedicated trip so not likely to cross over in same day. Was wondering about real world experience with changing barrels with use need/want and if anyone actually did that or just find a good compromise and roll with that. 500 does seem like the best “in between” barrel.
I think that I am the kinda guy who would change the barrels for an outing. Have tinkering tendencies.

Dammit qball, I know. That’s making it real hard, might be calling them Tuesday for more info.
But seriously, thank you!

It is absolutely a STEAL at $1199!!! There is NOTHING out there can touch that gun at $1199!!! Don't forget you still get the 3 year warranty!!! Even if you buy a carbon bottle from AGN for 200 bucks you are still at 1400 dollars, there are used crown cost more.

If you tune it right the crown with 500mm barrel in 22 can easily push the 20-23 grain slugs at over 900fpe and turn the dial to shoot 18 grain pellet at same 900fps so you don't need to re-zero. If you need low power option then just turn the power wheel even lower to shoot even slower, just need to remember how many clicks you need to change the zero. This is having your cake and eat it too gun!

So my 380mm 22 crown shoots the JSB 18’s at 880, but it also loves the H&N 21 grain slugs at 875. No need to change barrels. I just change the transfer port wheel from 177/22 (pellets) to the 25/30 and I am shooting slugs. super accurate both ways.

I own 3 crowns, compete with a 25 in EFT and bench rest and’ a 177 for FT.

Tony P

I have a crown walnut 600mm in .22, and currently have it tuned for 23gn nsa slugs. I like its accuracy, and fairly tame nature at this power level with that barrel, but as chukar said, it’s loooong in this configuration. For this reason, I purchased a 380 barrel. My setup now is for carrying in the woods, I use my 380 barrel and shoot 18gn pellets. When I need more power to use slugs for longer distance (obviously won’t be woods walking for that), I swap over to the 600 barrel and take 5 shots to zero the scope for that outing. If I woods walk AND long range in the same outing, I bring my impact for the long range work, and keep my crown setup for the woods. It’s much more comfortable to shoulder for me, and easier to maneuver. The impact does better for me rested (at least with a bipod), and I still don’t get the ping in my ear (I feel the same about bullpups as you) because the impact t hammer is up front even though it’s a bullpup.
I'm getting a 380 this week for my .25 Crown for the same reason. Keep the 600 it came with for slugs and longer distance and the 380 for pellets and under 100 yds ish seems like the perfect combo to me.

Reactions: madeintheuk