• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Crown - cleaning barrel & lubed pellets

Unfortunately this is something you will have to find out yourself. I would initially clean the barrel before the first use and then check how much it fouls after 500 shots, next try 1000 shots etc and try to find an interval of shots where the gun stays accurate and clean within that interval. Don't clean it too thoroughly if not necessary because it will require a larger amount of shots before it starts to group decently again. Something I noticed: the faster you shoot the projectile the more it seems to foul.

Lubing is not necessary but some see benefits and others don't

If yours is the Smooth Twist X liner, I expect you will need to clean it occasionally, at least that was my experience. I have Royale 400 with the original Smooth Twist barrel, and it seems to never need cleaning. You'll just have to experiment. One thing you might try, when you see accuracy falling off, pull through a dry patch or two, no solvent, and see if that restores it. Barrels are different, some appear to need almost no cleaning, others have to be scrubbed with a brush. I have not found that lubing the pellets makes much difference, so I quit it. As I have found in retirement, I like things easy.

I have a new FX Crown in .177. I am looking for some comments regarding how often to clean the smooth twist barrels. And, does anyone find a benefit in lubing pellets?

Mine needs cleaning every 500 shots. This is the one thing I don’t like about the x barrels. They seem to foul faster and then accuracy reduces. After cleaning my crown needs another 50 pellets to start shooting accurately again. Haven’t tried lubing but I intend to try it to see if it prevents fouling. Also I will try pulling a few patches through it every 200 shots rather than cleaning it completely after 500 shots. Maybe pulling 1-2 patches after every 200 shots will allow me to stretch the full cleaning with 10-12 patches to 1000 or more pellets. 

I am the owner of fx guns with 3 smoothtwist X barrels. 177 .22, and .25 caliber. It usually requires some thousands of shots true the barrel, before cleaning is not that big of an issue. Some barrels takes longer time than others.You probably has to clean regulary the first tins, and then it will slowly last longer. Of the 3 I own, my .22 crown is the worst regarding fouling. I lubed pellets first with ballistol, which helped, but then I tried silicon oil, which really helped. It basically removed the problem. But I am not sure I can shoot with it unlubed yet. On my wildcat in .177 I shot unlubed pellets all from start, and probably cleaned first every 200-500 shots. After I did shot more than 10 tins with 500 pellets each, it hardly seemed to need cleaning at all. Been several thousands shots without cleaning so far. My .25 is still pretty new, so it foul some. On that barrel I also started lubing pellets with silicon oil after a couple of tins. I am on my 8 tin so far, and plan to not add more oil on the pads on the tin, and slowly let it shoot pellet less and less lubed, and see how it goes. Also the muzzle velocity might help. So if you have to clean very often from the start, you might try lowering the speed some, and see if that helps.

I would also recommend stick to JSB pellets, as some other brands have bigger skirt or head diameters which leave more lead deposit.

I usually clean with patch worm, and also add some ballistol on the first patch if the lead is hard to remove.

If you remove the barrel, or liner when you clean, you can see the fouling with naked eye usually at the end of the barrel near the choke, using a flashlight. So when I clean I always inspect visually before and after. If it all looks mirror smooth when shining a flashlight from breach end, it usually means there is no lead deposit.