• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Fx Crown at 45 yards

I'm reminded of the old joke where the patient tells the doc, "it hurts when I do this". And the doc says, "then don't do that". It's hard to respond without knowing your results, but I'll offer a comment. In spite of many reports to the contrary, I believe that 45 yards with that pellet at that velocity, is approaching the limit of precision accuracy. That is my experience. Others who are obviously better shooters report good accuracy. I had a similar problem many years ago when shooting with my son, who at that time was about 8 years old. His solution was perfect, "Dad, you just need a bigger target". Maybe you will find a better answer, and I wish you luck.

IMG_0199.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

My Fx Crown MK II shoots well using a 1-piece gun rest at all yardages except those around 45 yards. Anyone have any ideas why? I'm using a 10.4 g pellet at 860 FPS. I also have a carbon sleeve.
Pellet groups don’t fall apart only to magically come back together 🤷‍♂️

Alan

Disclaimer: I don’t own an FX Crown .177, but trying to help you sort this out.

I looked at your targets. The 25y looks ok, except for the flier. The 35Y looks vg, and a ragged hole is what I would expect. Your 40, 45 and 50Y target groups are strange and should be much tighter based on what you showed on the 25 and 35Y targets. Also, since I do not own a .177 or a Crown, I’m not certain what level of accuracy should be expected.

Did you thoroughly clean your barrel? A dirty barrel could cause accuracy issues. Are you shooting indoors or outside with any wind? Have you tried adjusting your velocity? Answering these fundamental questions is helpful to know.

There is a lot of “Crown knowledge” here on the AGN Forum, but describe your set up and what you have tried in detail, so folks can try and help.

Photo marked with number 6 is at 50 yards. Sorry photos out of order. With heavier pellet group is worse

The 45 and 50 yard targets actually seem pretty consistent with the shorter yardage results, which show groups that are not representative of a good rifle in optimum tune. As mentioned above, your problem could be as simple as a dirty liner. I would also try a higher velocity. 860 isn't unreasonable, but it's a little slower than I have generally found to be best, especially at extended range.

Alpo007,
You made no mention of wind. The 10.3gr pellet is strongly affected by wind. Especially as it slows down. If you are starting with a muzzle velocity of 860 fps at 50 yds the velocity is likely around 650 fps. With the twist rate in the Crown .177 barrel (1:18) the pellet is susceptible to helical spinning with even a light crossing breeze at that speed. (See Matt Dauber's explanation of diabolo pellet spiraling). On a bright day with a good scope on like 24x you can see the pellets spiral.
I found better luck shooting those pellets around 930 fps. Actually, my choice for .177 pellets is the older JSB Monster 13.4 gr (the "trash can" shaped ones). I have had a really good HFT season using those.
Cheers,
Greg

Alpo,
Had similar issue, found out scope and rifle weren't aligned. Scope mounting by "feel" for years made me scoff at scope-mounted levels and great efforts folks put into proper scope alignment, that is, until I bought these and found out how off I was. Without proper alignment rifle was accurate, by chance, at the point where both aligned, not so much on either side of it. Plumb line, scope-mounted levels and these (pictured) levels made a world of difference. WM
IMG_20221215_151909.jpg

Pellets POI will get more affected by wind starting around 30-40 yards and a lot more pronounced after 45 yards, even 1 mph wind will shift POI at 50 yards. You can't expect the pellet to hit where you put the center dot on out pass 30 yards, even at 30 yards wind will have an effect. Try to find a local field target group, it's a lot of fun and learning.

Alpo007,
You made no mention of wind. The 10.3gr pellet is strongly affected by wind. Especially as it slows down. If you are starting with a muzzle velocity of 860 fps at 50 yds the velocity is likely around 650 fps. With the twist rate in the Crown .177 barrel (1:18) the pellet is susceptible to helical spinning with even a light crossing breeze at that speed. (See Matt Dauber's explanation of diabolo pellet spiraling). On a bright day with a good scope on like 24x you can see the pellets spiral.
I found better luck shooting those pellets around 930 fps. Actually, my choice for .177 pellets is the older JSB Monster 13.4 gr (the "trash can" shaped ones). I have had a really good HFT season using those.
Cheers,
Greg
Excellent analysis!!

Pellets POI will get more affected by wind starting around 30-40 yards and a lot more pronounced after 45 yards, even 1 mph wind will shift POI at 50 yards. You can't expect the pellet to hit where you put the center dot on out pass 30 yards, even at 30 yards wind will have an effect. Try to find a local field target group, it's a lot of fun and learning.

Very true, and this relates to my own experience very much so. This becomes very obvious for me when trying to shoot for score with 30y, 40y Master Class cards. The ‘10’ ring is minuscule on those cards and holding for any wind is unforgiving.

Reactions: qball