• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown- another question

I am trying to get the best performance from my Crown. I have read a lot about the tuning process. It does seem like my next purchase,(excluding a compressor), would be a chronograph. I have not touched the settings on the rifle whatsoever. It came like this from the factory. I have tried a few different kinds of pellets, all I believe worked very well. I have used the Diablo Exact king .25 in my Air Arms S510, and basically just for the simplicity of it I stuck with these on the Crown. They are 25.39 Grains.

My accuracy with them at 50 yards is better than what I expected,expecially basically being a shooter that probably doesnt go through one tin of pellets in a year.

Most of my shots are within 50 yards also.

I don't see much written as to the frontal adjustment on the left of the firearm marked basically with the calibers of different rifles. Since mine is a 25, thats what it is set to. If I was to move it down lets say to the 177/22 , just what would I be doing? My guess is I would have less power, and less velocity, but more shots. At 50 yards shooting crows with the 25, I have noticed straight pass through shots most the time. I am thinking I can probably dial that front wheel down to 177/22, and also dial back my rear adjustment from the max setting to 5,4 or maybe even 3 and still have plenty of power at 50 yards. I understand that my POI will chenge, but that just requires resighting. They say if it is not broken, don't fix it, but getting my rifle refilled, or my tank can be a hassle sometimes, so I try to get as many shots out of one fill that I can, and still maintain good energy.

So,,,should I try to reduce the caliber setting to 177/22, and see what happens???

Thanks

I always adjust the caliber wheel and rear hammer/power wheel with the numbers/letter to adjust my power. Fooling with the regulator is not something you want to do unless you have to. 

You can achieve the results you want by putting the gun on .22 caliber. It is a smaller opening in the port that lets a little less air thru. Dial down the hammer wheel to a lower number to reduce power till its where you want it. 

I shoot mine in .22 at 25 yards a lot. I turn my caliber and power wheels both to minimum and get about 650fps which is plenty for that range. My shot count is thru the roof like that. Wide open the gun runs 16gr hades at 960fps 

You will get quite a bit of power adjustment with just those two wheels. FX has relabelled the "caliber" wheel on its new gun to hi, med & low - which is really what they are anyway. Try each setting to see if aligns with your expectations. The rear wheel adjusts the hammer spring from max to min. Neither wheel adjusts the regulator, you need a small Allen wrench to do that.

The good thing about those two dials, is that you can move them all you want to test, and shouldn’t mess anything up. You can just turn them back to where you started.

You are correct that a Chrono is the best purchase you can make to really understand how your rifle is shooting. Made all the difference in the world for me. 

The front dial just changes how big the hole is in the breech, which affects how the air comes out to push the pellets. The larger you make the hole (high or .30 is the larger hole) gives you a bit more power. I have read that it isn’t more or less efficient with the air. Because the air is coming out anyway, just out of a smaller or larger hole.

The power wheel (hammer spring wheel) also adjusts the power, but from MIN to MAX. The numbers and letters are close but slightly different, to allow a few more options. 

When I got my Crown, I spent a couple hours for a couple days in a row just shooting and dialing the hammer spring to get an idea of the speeds, and to get an idea of which settings my rifle likes the most with different pellets. I haven’t touched the front dial yet, but I still might as I test 18gr pellets some more to test out a few more options at a lower power. 

I would suggest just getting out there and shooting pellets in groups with each power wheel setting until you find 2-3 it likes. Then test with more groups at those settings. The great thing about the Chrono is you can better tell why your rifle might like some settings similarly. It will also help you get a feel for how well tuned your rifle is. 

Have fun shooting. I love this part of shooting!

In my experience there is no need to adjust the regulator pressure. My Crown came set at 135 bar. I leave it there. The gun's factory tune was designed around the JSB 25.4 gr pellet. I shot that pellet for a year and was very happy with the accuracy, but I did get occasional flyers. I switched to the JSB heavy 33.9 pellet and lost some speed, but picked up more accuracy and eliminated the flyers. The original barrel does not shoot slugs though. I bought a new superior heavy barrel and everything shoots better. I now can shoot the new JSB KO slug and the heavy pellet in almost the same hole at 50 meters. I still have not changed the reg. pressure. I get about 70 shots out of a bottle charge with the max spring setting and the .25 port setting. However, I only charge the bottle to 235 bar not 250. You do need a chronograph and a compressor. The latter is cheap, the compressor is NOT.