• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown .30 expected FPS

Hi, new to the nation, thanks in advance for any and all help. I tuned my new .30 crown shooting 44.75g JSB pellets at 850fps using the "Meathead UncleHodge" method and it is shooting great groups. Should I be expecting more fps if so what range? Will raising the fps destabilize the pellets at longer ranges as I have read somewhere it does? Would like some advice before I try turning it again to gain more fps I might not need. Most of my shooting will be at less than 120 yards since that is how deep my back yard is. Looking to control squirrels, crows and the occasional goose. Thanks again, Jim

850fps is pretty darn good for the 44.75gr in the .30 cal. If your gun is shooting great groups, I'd be more concerned with that than the FPS. You might be able to get a little more velocity before you get to 150 BAR on the reg. which will open a whole new can of worms, but why push it if accuracy is great. 44.75gr. @ 850fps is over 71FPE (I think). 

Stoti

The FX Crown comes with a 600mm or 23.6 inch barrel in 30cal. But your saying I am doing a good fps as is. Is there any advantage to more fps except increased energy? I am getting about 70-71FPE at the 850fps which should take out the squirrels, crows and geese I want to, right. Or do I need more power? Have not shot any of these with the 30 yet so not sure what kind of job it will do on the latter two. I know my 22 Marauder does good on the squirrels so the 30 ought to really do great. Thanks to you for your replies and good shooting. Jim

You could get to 880 to 885 pretty easily with the 24 inch barrel. My .30 FX Bobcat Mk2 with the ST barrel shoots right about 880 to 885 FPS, reg at 165 bar (factory setting was 160 bar), HST about 2 turns from max. The plateau on my curve at this pressure is right in the 900 to 905 FPS range. I get good efficiency, about 40 shots on reg from a 250 bar fill, and an ES of 7 or 8, sometimes even better. That’s all with the 44.75 grain JSB Exact. It will shoot MOA consistently at 100 yards. I was shooting at 90 yards for a couple of months prior to EBR and had most of my five shot groups that could be covered by a penny.

Having said that, I don’t think there is any benefit to raising your speed from 850 to 890 or whatever you were thinking. If it’s a tack driver at 850, that’s good, leave it as is... Think about it. You’re at 72 FPE. That’s still significantly more power than even the most bad ass of .25 cal shooting Heavies. 

Mine is set at 150bar, getting 880-890fps with the 44 and 850fps with 50gr. I have incredible accuracy with both, essentially equal. Obviously the speed influences trajectory, but if you know holds it not much different. I dont think you will lose accuracy by increasing velocity, one way to tell. You just need to decide for what reason. My Crown .30, or amy of my .30s for that matter, are my go to beyond 50yd. Mine came shooting like that out of the box, accuracy was there, so I left it alone.