• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown .22 vs .25 Long range accuracy

So there are two implicit questions here you're actually asking. The first is the angular MOA of of the Crown in different calibers, and the second is environmental effects. 

So the actual angular MOA capability, in general not just on the Crown, I've never seen any definitive evidence that .25 is more accurate than .22. With calm air, I can print sub MOA 10 round groups at 100 yards using my crown in .22 and JSB 18.13s. I haven't run it in .25 to compare, but even given the glory shots a lot of guys are posting here, I don't see anything to suggest that the .25 is radically better. Hypothetically it could be a little more resistant to minor defects, but theory and reality aren't necessarily the same. 

The reason why you see the "common knowledge" that .25 is better is because the 33.59 grain JSBs have excellent ballistics and have traditionally been seen as having less wind drift. The advent of the 25.39 grain .22 redesigned pellets may well change that. I have not seen a back to back comparison to test. The apples to oranges of EBR suggests that people have gotten .30s, .25s, and .22s to all essentially be competitive with each other. 

And this all ignores the potential for slug conversions, which promises even better performance at long range.

But, something to keep in mind, I run a bullseye target with a 3" center. I can, with my .22 Crown and JSB 18.13s, go out to 200 yards, and go ring that little circle. I've done it on challenging breezy days with swirling shifting winds as only New England seems to be able to produce. This is clearly not the "optimized" setup, but it is only a target, and I enjoy the challenge of learning from the wind. So honestly, I'd say for target shooting just don't sweat it too much. Get the caliber you like. The gun can be converted if you change your mind later, or as a better liner/pellet/etc comes out in some other caliber. There is a lot of chasing "the best of the moment" in airgunning, and real progress has been made, but it is important to remember that tomorrow there will be some new hotness. I think of the real edge of the Crown is that, of all the guns out there, it (along with the Impact) are best inoculated against advancing technology. A new amazing pellet, a better intermediate caliber, whatever it is in theory the Crown will get a conversion product. *shrug* At the end of the day though, I try not to get too worked up in whatever the latest is. Take a deep breath, shoot what you like, and enjoy it. That is what its all about.

Depends on how far you want to shoot. Most people shoot the .22 RD monsters at a Max of 100 yards - and they need HP guns to get those pellets to work at those distances.

If you plan on going further than 100 yards, I would avoid the RD monsters. They need to be flying at a certain velocity to remain stable. A more aggressive twist than most standard airgun barrels would probably help as well. They group like a shotgun at 120+ yards out of my 40 FPE gun. 

I can get 18 grain JSB's and various NSA slugs to work out to 273 yards, but the RD Monsters ballistically fall apart somewhere between 10m and 120 yards. 

Interesting. A lot of guys have been shooting the DS Red Wolf HP in .22 with the RD Monsters, but launching them at around 950 FPS from the LW Poly barrel. They seemed very accurate at 100 yards, but I haven't seen them past that. I think that's more than likely the only way in .22 to be competitive at 75 and 100 yards. Shooting an 18.1 grain JSB Heavy at 30 or 32 FPE at those ranges in swirling winds in futile. I don't think the "standard" .22 would be competitive at 75 and 100 yards no matter who was pulling the trigger. So if you're going to shoot competitively at longer ranges, and you can't get your .22 to shoot the RD Monsters accurately at 50 FPE, I think the .25 Heavy 34 grain pellets would be the way to go... The OP didn't mention .177, but the 16 grain JSB Beasts at 35 FPE (950 FPS), could also be an option...

I did end up getting the crown in .25 and I think I made the right choice, out of the box it’s fantastic. So far I only shot at 20yds though, it’s just too damn cold to go out to the range lol

Very nice.........you shouldn't be disappointed! From what I found out today, the 25 caliber slug liners are either on the way to the US or will be maybe this week. The 22 slug liners are still a couple of weeks out.

You should be able to get good accuracy with either 25.4gr or 33.95gr pellets in the ST-X liners. The Wildcat 25 I had with ST-X pellet liner A, did sub-1.5" groups at 100 yds with both pellets. I've made several 100+ yards shots on birds with these pellets in the ST-X liner. I'm anxious to see someone get a Slug-X liner for the 25 caliber to see what it can do at 100 yds and beyond. I've only ever seen videos with the 22 caliber slugs.

Let us know how it goes once you get some more shooting with it!

:)

FX Wildcat 25 MKII w/ SmoothTwistX barrel liner shooting JSB Exact 25.4gr pellets at 953fps.

https://youtu.be/3nxfNd5tyiM