FX Crown 22 - long range accuracy - VIDEO (pest birds)

Question about slugs in air rifles. From what I understand they require an unchoked barrel and a slightly larger bore? Is that the only difference required? Are most air rifle barrels choked?

It would be interesting to do a side to side comparison of say a 24 gr slug to one of the heaviest pellets .

I guess another way to say this is to what characteristic of the slug do you attribute the increased accuracy? It’s not just the weight? Right? 

Question about slugs in air rifles. From what I understand they require an unchoked barrel and a slightly larger bore? Is that the only difference required? Are most air rifle barrels choked?

It would be interesting to do a side to side comparison of say a 24 gr slug to one of the heaviest pellets .

I guess another way to say this is to what characteristic of the slug do you attribute the increased accuracy? It’s not just the weight? Right? 

I'going to try and answer your questions .

# 1 - Airguns do not require a un choked barrel , and a larger bore size will cause the slug to spiral .

Yes most airgun barrels are choked for small bore it like the choke , big bores do better without a choke .

# 2 - I for one would like to see a side by side comparison of a pellet and a slug but lets be fare keep them the same weight .

# 3 - Slugs have better long distance accuracy due to there better BC this allows you to shoot out further

and there is much less wind deflection with a slug and yes the weight plays another factor as each

slug of swage ammo is usually within 1/10 of a grain from one slug to another . I hope this helps you .

As far as FX goes, the difference is the slug liners have a faster twist rate and less aggressive choke, and sized at .217 ID.

For instance, the pellet liner was 1:21 and my slug liner is 1:16. The faster twist rate is needed to stabilize the slug, which is definitely a spin-stablized projectile compared to the drag-stabilized diablolo pellet. 

Compare that to my Air Arms rifle at 1:17, you can see why it shot slugs reasonably well where my Crown with pellet liner did not.

I can't speak to the Brocock or Daystate rifles, but I've read that they shoot slugs reasonably well they way them come out of the box.

Lots if things to consider. Right now I don’t have any places that I need to reach out beyond 75 yards. And then there is cost. 

Like buying hammers depends on the nail. 

I am curious about them but I’m also concerned about how far they might carry in MY permissions. We have a bunch of small farms with close neighbors and I have to pay attention to that as it is. Every situation is different

If I get to needing them I’m glad Bob and some of you other fellows are doing the research

I’d like to try them at the 22 rimfire silhouette targets I have no doubt they would do fine seeing how they wack pigeons at 100 yards or more.

also prairie dogs

i

I’m in the exact opposite situation. I can drive around and find pigeons roosting on silo’s probably five or six within five minutes of my house but finding a location where I can safely shoot at them?? That’s my challenge.

I’m retiring end of March and I’m going actively search for more ideal places. No shortages of pigeons just safe places to shoot. 

Here is another observation question about pigeons. Twenty thirty years ago I used to see a bunch of pigeons down town. Don’t see them much of late. What gives there?

^^ 

I wonder if that's because they instinctively understand the problems that casting a strong shadow causes for raptors. Eagles/hawks rely on speed and stealth for success in capturing prey, often prey on the ground or in the water. A fast-moving shadow spooks any ground dweller (or fish) when it's spotted. Closer to the ground when shadow-casting is minimized or removed would increase the likelihood of a good strike on prey, I'd think. Like us visually-oriented predators, eagles also have a sensitivity to strong light. For distance viewing it is great but when you get closer the glare can become a problem. At least, that's my story.

Maybe they're just Carpenter fans... "rainy days and Mondays always get me down"...