• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown .177 Pellet choice?

Hi all,

I've got an FX Crown which I purchased with a .22 barrel. It likes the HN Sniper light at about 16fpe and groups at around 5/8" at 55y. Good enough for me. I'd like to set up the rifle for HFT for my father (and our club doesn't allow .22 on the FT course) so I purchased a .177 STX liner A barrel. It's supposed to be designed around the JSB 8.44, but I can't get any JSB pellet (7.33, 7.87, 8.44, 10.3) to group at any speed, under 20fpe. (For HFT rules.) I'm just wondering if any one has a Crown with the .177 liner and has some suggestions. Barrel is cleaned, (I may try polishing as a next step) and testing is done at 10 yards in the garage off bags. Chrony shows all pellets to be fairly consistent in speed. Scope is a Viper Connect zero eye relief, so parallax shouldn't be an issue. There's a shroud but no baffles, so i don't think clipping is an issue. So far BM 4.52 and Sniper Magnum seem to be the pellets of choice. (But still not great, mostly cloverleaf at 10 y, I would expect 1 big ish hole.)

Any help would be appreciated,

Ryan

Agreed! put a smooth twist on it.

As opposed to a smooth twist x? Not sure you can get a smooth twist for crown, I know you can for Impact of course.

Thanks for the replies! I have a Steyr for my own use, so it's not the end of the world. This rig will be perfect for my dad, it's nice and light. I'll just tell him he's bad and needs to practice more.

Thanks,

Ryan

As opposed to a smooth twist x? Not sure you can get a smooth twist for crown, I know you can for Impact of course.

Thanks for the replies! I have a Steyr for my own use, so it's not the end of the world. This rig will be perfect for my dad, it's nice and light. I'll just tell him he's bad and needs to practice more.

Thanks,

Ryan

smooth twist can be put into a crown. i had it done by fx

Update:

I did some paper testing today after polishing the barrel liner with JB last night. Of the two previous "best" pellets, BM 4.52 and Sniper Magnum, only the sniper magnum was able to group fairly well again. Retested all the previous pellets with dismal results, except for one - AA 8.4 in 4.52. It was as bad as the JSB 8.4 the day before, but can now reliably do a 5/8" group at 55 y. (With the occasional flyer, to be expected as pellets are right from the tin. Oiled with VFG though.) What was interesting to me was the Sniper Magnum, which is almost twice the weight as the aa 8.4 only had about 1.5" of extra drop at 55y. (It grouped ok, the left to right was good, but the vertical stringing was apparent. Maybe i'll give it some more heat.) I'll be definitely comparing these 2 pellets on the next windy day!

I've heard from reliable sources that the brand "FX" and the caliber ".177" generally do not mix well at all. In a nutshell, something about FX not being able to produce reliably accurate barrels in that particular caliber.

I would choose another platform for .177, myself.

My .177 ST and one STX barreled guns have all shot well, some were pellet picky but I didn't have any complaints when I found its favorite pellet.

I've heard from reliable sources that the brand "FX" and the caliber ".177" generally do not mix well at all. In a nutshell, something about FX not being able to produce reliably accurate barrels in that particular caliber.

I would choose another platform for .177, myself.

My .177 ST and one STX barreled guns have all shot well, some were pellet picky but I didn't have any complaints when I found its favorite pellet.

Nice that you have had good luck with yours. Apparently, it is possible to get an FX that shoots .177 well. And apparently, others have had the opposite experience. So, I guess it’s a crap shoot.