FX COVID Series!

don't get me wrong but any person group or other wise that use the name of this virus in any other way then to show what it has, is, or will do 

IS A BLOOD IDIOT 

WOULD IT BE AS FUNNY IF YOUR FAMILY MEMBER HAVE DIED OR ARE SICK OR WILL DIE 

MAYBE TO SOME BUT I PROMISE EVERY TIME I SEE ONE OF THESE POST IT WILL RECEIVE THE SAME SORT OF DISDAIN AS THIS ONE 

Reading the FX post, my reflex wasn’t to be offended or see potential offense. It’s punchline seemed to poke fun- not at the disease itself or any actual effects- but at our bizarre human response (stockpiling toilet paper and bullets).

Surely one could argue this joke was a miss. But, I (absolutely) like when companies have the courage to take a swing at humor. Why does humor require courage? Because any good joke risks offense.

Taking this sentiment a step further, I really enjoy how the airgun community generally has a lighthearted culture of fun. I like how our YouTube videos often open with a joke or some dumb spoof....

If our community (or even just a vocal minority within) makes a habit of punishing companies for missed jokes or political incorrectness, those companies will certainly listen and comply. We, the consumers, are completely empowered to make this community a safe space where nobody risks offense.

Sometimes humor, especially dark humor, is a very human response to stressful situations. As a veteran, I look back on some of the jokes we would crack at the most inappropriate times and wonder what the hell we were thinking. Right now in my life I am fortunate to call several medical professionals friends. They are on the front lines of the COVID-19 battle, and they use some very dark humor as a stress-relief mechanism. Each of us deal with things differently, and it's a good thing to be aware of this and avoid judging others for not being exactly like us. You are free to cope with life and the curve-balls it throws at you in your own unique way. Be gracious, and allow others that same freedom even if you think they are idiots. 

James

Reactions: weatherby