FX Chrony beta software update

The new beta software for the FX Chrony was just downloaded to my phone.

Oddly enough Snake didnt get it on his phone, but at some point I must of signed up for beta testing.

I also got the 3D printed barrel mount for it today as well.

I'll be testing the new software here soon as I get some work done. I'm not hopeful as I had to go to the range where theres not as many obstructions, and I wont be able to get there until later this week.

I sure would like it to work on my range because I absolutly hate setting up the optical. Maybe the 3d barrel mount thing will help with that.

Well, the software is still crap, but better than it was. 

The wild readings I was getting in my backyard seem to be gone, and they added features as Michael mentioned.

The app is in no way user friendly. Its constant need to reconnect after changing anything is very annoying.

Someone ought to show the programmer the ProChrno, or Caldwell app and say "Do that".

I have only put 10 rounds thru it right now.

I'll get my optical out and see how it they compare soon as Snake gets here so theres a phone for each device, then I'll report back.

The mounting device works, it was from Steve Allen in the UK. 

I think it's over priced compared to the gopro mounts that are available, but theres no messing about with this one. I'll speak more to changes I'd like to see later.

1565627454_5630222635d51943e33a930.50525411_15656274089427282056231214413753.jpg

I probably should have used a rear bag to minimize the variation that the optical scanner might pick up. 

I'll do all that at some point, but today's excersize was to see if things had changed from the previous version of the app, as well as to get a rough idea of its accuracy apropos the optical.

I'm very pleased I can use it on my short range now, although that may have been fixed with the barrel mount. The difference of 4.3 fps average might be explained by the position of the FX chrono on the barrel, the distance to the ProChrono optical, as well as the angle changes of the gun affecting the optical.

What I did find odd was that the ProChrono was always reporting a faster speed even tho it was out a foot or so from the barrel. I kinda thought it should have been oposite that.

In PerkyVal's test above, the velocity difference can't be attributed to the distance of the Prochrono since it is further away (velocity would be lower if anything and the readings are all slightly higher from the Prochrono). The difference doesn't look to be large enough to be a concern at all and who knows which would actually be "accurate" between the two anyway? I do notice that there aren't as many "same readings" as mmahoney was getting for the FX. Nice test. Looks like things are improving with the FX. Thanks to all who have worked on this. I think I'll get one.

30$? Not bad, since if I had to ship something to the UK the cost of first class postage for a small (sub 4 ounce) package would be 14$. Figure Royal Mail is probably about as expensive as ours, so 15$ for the product and 15$ to get it to your door. 

Something to be aware of about doppler radar, that thing is probably measuring your pellet further down range than you'd expect. Putting your prochrono in front of it too close to the bore axis might actually mess with it, so as long as you're putting rounds into a backstop you might consider putting your FX Chrono above the muzzle instead. If I were you, I'd actually be interested to do some testing with the prochrono at different ranges to try and get an idea of how far away the average FX Chrono's measurement distance really is. Of course, in a perfect world, you'd use three chronos, two reliable gate ones and one FX one so you can have true at-the-muzzle numbers, down range numbers, and FX Chrono numbers. After all, pro chronos are cheap and shooting over two of them simultaneously is how we calculate our BCs. :p 

Sorry for the ramble there. I hope there was something useful in all that. :) 

30$? Not bad, since if I had to ship something to the UK the cost of first class postage for a small (sub 4 ounce) package would be 14$. Figure Royal Mail is probably about as expensive as ours, so 15$ for the product and 15$ to get it to your door. 

Something to be aware of about doppler radar, that thing is probably measuring your pellet further down range than you'd expect. Putting your prochrono in front of it too close to the bore axis might actually mess with it, so as long as you're putting rounds into a backstop you might consider putting your FX Chrono above the muzzle instead. If I were you, I'd actually be interested to do some testing with the prochrono at different ranges to try and get an idea of how far away the average FX Chrono's measurement distance really is. Of course, in a perfect world, you'd use three chronos, two reliable gate ones and one FX one so you can have true at-the-muzzle numbers, down range numbers, and FX Chrono numbers. After all, pro chronos are cheap and shooting over two of them simultaneously is how we calculate our BCs. :p 

Sorry for the ramble there. I hope there was something useful in all that. :)

Didn't consider that. Good thought. Another thing to consider-you know WHERE the Prochrono is measuring but not WHERE the FX is measuring. Maybe this is why the position as noted by CC and others seems to be relatively critical. More knowledgeable folks will have to answer this but there must be a "CONE" of the radar going out the front, narrow near the face of the unit and spreading out. How divergent is that cone? How far out does it disperse to a non readable level in a battery operated unit? Would be interesting to know.

@PerkyVal

At the bottom of the setup screen you will now see a calibration setting. You can increase or decrease your velocity readings by up to 2% if you feel the results are reading a bit slow. Your data looks pretty close, so to calibrate it to your other chrony you should only need to bump the value up about .4%

I have to say. I am very impressed with the beta update so far. Even when needing to hit the reconnect button, all my previous data has been saved for me. I don't find needing to tell the phone to reconnect after changing settings to be too much hassle. It connects very quickly.

@PerkyVal

At the bottom of the setup screen you will now see a calibration setting. You can increase or decrease your velocity readings by up to 2% if you feel the results are reading a bit slow. Your data looks pretty close, so to calibrate it to your other chrony you should only need to bump the value up about .4%

I have to say. I am very impressed with the beta update so far. Even when needing to hit the reconnect button, all my previous data has been saved for me. I don't find needing to tell the phone to reconnect after changing settings to be too much hassle. It connects very quickly.

I saw the calibration but until I can use a 3rd chrony to be the tie breaker, and I do more testing, I'll be leaving that alone.

I agree the new software is better, but it's still not nearly ready for primetime. 

I fully understand that the money isnt there for development like the Caldwell's of the world have. However, I dont have the warm & fuzzy feelings knowing that I'm funding software development without getting the usual return you'd get from a normal investment.

Not apples to apples I know. Still, it irks me to have a device that was running on buggy alpha level programming when I bought it.

The potential of this device is obvious, and the new software almost makes it usable without another device to verify the results, but almost isnt good enough for something that cost twice as much as other fully functional devices.

I know I'm coming off quite negative but I dont hate it, I actually like it a lot. I just dont think it should have been offered for sale at full price in it's current state of development.