Tuning FX Chrony - best / most reliable / accurate "spot" for it?

Curious -- at around the 2:10 mark in here - Gert states that he gets the best results out of his at 4-5 inches in front of the barrel. I'll assume he's shooting an inch or so above it - he doesn't state that. I've got one but honestly . . . I like my older competition electronics one better - with the light kit - it's extremely reliable and rarely ever misses any shots. My FX portable on on the other hand - it's kind of jekyll and hyde'ish - and it can sometimes drive me up the wall.

Just curious.

I built a stand for my chrony, yes I has issues getting good repeat accuracy. I used a four ft long board, mounted overhead lights that are in a consistant position above the sky screens. I also built a stationary platform above forvthe barrel to rest on, this way the barrel is always the same height over the chrony as well as same distance back from the sky screens. The whole unit is portable, mabey a little awkward but easily moved to wherever as long as I have a 110 outlet for the lights. This way I always have a reliable reading with no regard to lighting or distance from or how high over the skyscreens. A pellet trap is attached to the back to collect all the lead. Been getting accurite readings for more than 25 years with this setup.

Thanks guys. After a re-read of my original post and a re-visit to that video -- looks like I misunderstood - I'm guessing Gert is doing pretty much the same thing as you guys - 4-5" BEHIND the tip of the barrel. NOT in front of it as I had initially interpreted. In the video he indicates with his hand pulling the chrony BACK which jives with what you guys indicate. I'll have to spend some time playing with it.