FX Chronograph Reading Inaccurately with my M3

So this all started when I first got my impact m3. I was extremely disappointed with my m3's shot string consistency. My wildcat mk3 would destroy it in shot to shot consistency and I couldn't figure out why. Tuning my wildcat was a breeze and I was just wasting time and money trying to tune the m3 to something that even remotely resembled consistency. The environments were exactly the same for both guns. Chronograph placed underneath the barrels and then attached to the barrels. For whatever reason the chronograph has to be in a "good mood" for it to read my M3. It started reading correctly and I finally got it tuned for some slugs and I don't dare change the settings now. Tonight I just tried to test the chronograph again. When I finished my slug tune when it was reading accurate I was at 1000fps, 10ES, 2SD. And my dope while shooting is dead on with that data. Tonight without changing gun settings it's reading 940-980. You'd think something is horribly wrong with the gun except I just came back from nailing birds at 100+ yards lol. Anybody know what's up with this chronograph and m3? Any suggestions on placement to the barrel? I place it the same as everyone on youtube. Fx App settings? Remember it works perfectly fine with the wildcat mk3. Not sure if it matters but the wildcat has the fx donnyfl moderator and the m3 has a donnyfl fat boy. Maybe I'll swap the moderators around. It reads pellets and slugs inaccurately. Appreciate any advice!

Interesting, an airgunfellow has one and have the same problems, sincerely is a pain in the 4´ss, not a single shot consistency with his maverick mk3 .25 cal shooting string, he think his rifle was having issues, so he decided to try the prochrono instead and whoala ! a huge diference! he finally sold that fx chrony cheap for 80 dlls.

Reactions: Al_Miller
While I haven't had much trouble with the FX Chrono, I did have a couple of issues early-on.
1.) It didn't register every shot and ran amok with being sporadic. So, I deleted the app and redid the upload. Ran good after that. Make sure to get the latest updates too!
2.) Once in a while it didn't read shots. So, I swept it off of the 'waiting' apps screen and reopened it. That fixed that issue.
3.) Batteries don't last too long., low/bad batteries make it run wonky. Replace the batteries.

Other than that, it has been pretty flawless since. I am able to verify with my buddy's chrono, so that I know it at least agrees with his.

mike

While I haven't had much trouble with the FX Chrono, I did have a couple of issues early-on.
1.) It didn't register every shot and ran amok with being sporadic. So, I deleted the app and redid the upload. Ran good after that. Make sure to get the latest updates too!
2.) Once in a while it didn't read shots. So, I swept it off of the 'waiting' apps screen and reopened it. That fixed that issue.
3.) Batteries don't last too long., low/bad batteries make it run wonky. Replace the batteries.

Other than that, it has been pretty flawless since. I am able to verify with my buddy's chrono, so that I know it at least agrees with his.

mike
Yep I’ve ran into the low battery problem with the wildcat so I stay on top of that. Didn’t realize the actual app might be the issue. I will redownload it and see if that works. I’ll try it on my iPad as well now that I know this and compare to my android phone. Thanks

Yep I’ve ran into the low battery problem with the wildcat so I stay on top of that. Didn’t realize the actual app might be the issue. I will redownload it and see if that works. I’ll try it on my iPad as well now that I know this and compare to my android phone. Thanks
Update on this: redownloaded apps and also compared to my original chronograph I had before the fx PC. The new apps made no difference. Shots jumping from 960 to 980 every other shot. Switched out moderators as well from the fat boy to the fx donnyfl. No change there, still inconsistent. Dug out the old Prochrono and boom! Perfect 10 shot string: 972, 976, 975, 976, 976, 979, 978, 976, 976, ES 7, SD 1, AVG 976.

I have no idea why the fx pc will not read my m3 accurately but will read my wildcat fine. But from now on even though it’s much more inconvenient I’ll be using my old chronograph for the m3.

Doppler radar is sensitive to the batteries you put in it and the surroundings. Change the batteries and if that doesn't work, change the minimum return..
Tried some new alkaline batteries. No change. Went to the store for new lithium batteries. No change. Changed minimum return from 20 to 10, then to 30. No change. I'll see if Utah airguns can help me out. If not I can't recommend this at all.

Tried some new alkaline batteries. No change. Went to the store for new lithium batteries. No change. Changed minimum return from 20 to 10, then to 30. No change. I'll see if Utah airguns can help me out. If not I can't recommend this at all.
I would just send it back to FX.. they will probably just replace it.

Get the recommended Lithium batteries (

Energizer AAA Batteries, Ultimate Lithium Triple A Battery, 24 Count)​

, the thing will chew through alkaline like there is no tomorrow. Also place it a touch further back from the muzzle, I do about 7" and have had very good results. The radar field is a bit of a cone so you need to have it intersecting the pellet as soon as possible. YMMV

Reactions: Al_Miller
Get the recommended Lithium batteries (

Energizer AAA Batteries, Ultimate Lithium Triple A Battery, 24 Count)​

, the thing will chew through alkaline like there is no tomorrow. Also place it a touch further back from the muzzle, I do about 7" and have had very good results. The radar field is a bit of a cone so you need to have it intersecting the pellet as soon as possible. YMMV
Ok instead of placing it on the end of my barrel or on the table under the barrel I placed the chronograph right in front of the bottle on the m3. That moved it back several inches from the end of the barrel. Since doing that it has fixed the issue with misreading my m3. Now I'm getting results like the screen shot which is the best results I've seen since buying the m3 back in Feb. Thank you for all your comments and advice. Finally have the answer. Place the chronograph further back.

Screenshot_20220905-142507_FX Radar.jpg

Reactions: Headshots
placement is key i think or get funny numbers battries are also a must good offset bracket is also seems to work better View attachment 288322
Not sure if you have solved your pro lem, but maybe it's the gun. The weight is not hitting consistently or dragging....change out the hammer weight spring with a new one. Don't max it out like you want to shoot threw a brick wall. Slowly adjust the spring and get consistently before max it out like everyone does when they first get it. The key is to take baby steps to break the spring in. Hopes this helps.

Update on this: redownloaded apps and also compared to my original chronograph I had before the fx PC. The new apps made no difference. Shots jumping from 960 to 980 every other shot. Switched out moderators as well from the fat boy to the fx donnyfl. No change there, still inconsistent. Dug out the old Prochrono and boom! Perfect 10 shot string: 972, 976, 975, 976, 976, 979, 978, 976, 976, ES 7, SD 1, AVG 976.

I have no idea why the fx pc will not read my m3 accurately but will read my wildcat fine. But from now on even though it’s much more inconvenient I’ll be using my old chronograph for the m3.
How far back from the muzzle do you have it, I"ve found that 4" - 6" mine works perfectly. It gives the unit enough time to register.

The FX chrono is the cause of the single biggest customer service issue I have to deal with by far. Anytime I get somebody telling me one of my guns won’t hold a decent velocity spread I find out they are using the fx chrono. Tell them to get a pro chrono….and what do you know, the gun fixes itself.

Mike

I agree with what Mike is saying....
I know there's been a number of FX Chrono threads, love it or hate it.
I've had one for a few years and it's always been frustrating to use. Constantly moving it up or down the barrel to try and get a reading; changing "minimum return" to no avail, having to dis-assemble it to slide the plug back on the circuit board, etc., etc. I've found it more trouble to use than it's worth.

Finally purchased a Comp. Electronics chrono with Bluetooth and the light kit. Life is now good. It works great and with the light kit you can use it inside or under your shade trees and it doesn't miss a beat. Have it mounted on a camera tripod. (y)
The FX Chrono is now gathering dust in my shooting bag. Just didn't work out for me.

I recently bought an FX chronograph and hope it stays consistent. I did a quick test against my competition electronics pro chono and the difference was 4. One thing I noticed is they both need good light to work otherwise they wont pick up the projectile.

Case in point for fx is 2 no reads from fx in total shade between fx and target then moved back 3 feet into sun and it didn’t miss a shot. I have mine on table top with barrel 1-2” on top and 1-4” out front
I have not used rubber bands or gun mounted yet but plan to try and rig something up. Till then it stands on its own and works without me taking notes.