FX Chronograph Inconsistency

The radar beam is not all that wide, and placement matters. I no longer try to stand mine on the bench, always hang from the barrel. "Fresh" batteries is a relative term, and this chrono goes through them fast. As they start to get low the readings can get screwy. There is a connection inside which can be jarred loose; it's obvious which one when you open it up. I secured mine with a bit of duct tape. It's very humid (when not pouring rain) here in NH right now, and after leaving my chrono on my covered bench overnight I found it wouldn't connect. Opened it up indoors in the AC for an hour and it came right back up. One I learned its quirks , it's been a good tool. OTOH, you may just have a lemon of course.

My FX requires new batteries each time.

I have had so much trouble with my FX Radar just getting it to work, that I took the advice to try a $55.oo Amazon purchase of a EC5000. It is a shoot through air soft chronograph. I try to avoid China products as many times there is no recourse to a lot of their junk.

I placed both on my Kratos and shot them side by side, the EC5000 was much more consistent and never missed a shot. The FX averages 5 to 6 FPS faster than the EC5000 and had readings that seemed both higher and lower than they should have been, while the EC5000 did not on the same shots.

Try setting the FX at 20% if you have not already.

There is now a EC6000 chronograph that gives more options than the EC5000. They are both much better than the FX Radar. A 1100 FPS ceiling really? I found that out with my Texan 257 LSS, which is a great product, unlike the FX Radar that should have been still borne.

Makes me wonder after reading all the FX problems, just where in China is Sweden located?

Regards,

Roachcreek

Reactions: Zaid
I have noticed that my FX Chronograph becomes very inconsistent at higher veleciites and with shooting slugs. 
Mine functions very well with pellet speeds under 900, but becomes really inconsistent around 950+. With some .22 cal slugs it won’ even regiser a reading for mulltiple shots. I can’ trust it at all anymore. 
Is this normal or a bad chrony?

Have you tried calling FX USA in Wilmington, NC? I have called several times in the past for technical help with FX Radar Chrony and my Royale 400 and they were very helpful. If you have ruled out barrel placement, battery replacement, and you are confident with your settings; it might be the Chrony is bad. 

Give them a call.

These posts on FX radar are becoming much more common. I've had mine a year or so. I checked it when new and it was real close to the Caldwell now its up to 60 fps slow. Leduke mentioned higher speed, I wasn't shooting in the mid 900's then but I am now, He may have a point. I am not going to detune my guns to find out. Bigragu and I tried our FX's together, they were of by up to 50 fps off!. It's to bad, This is a handy piece of kit as they say. I called and was told to talk to the dealer I bought it from. LOL

I'm no expert on the FX chrono, but I know it operates on the radar principle. If you draw an imaginary cone shaped radar field, you can draw a straight line through it at many different places. If the angle of the beam is changed only slightly, the distance at which the pellet passed through it can vary a great deal, which means the measured reading will vary. I expect this may be the cause of some of the inconsistencies experienced. I would think that using the barrel bracket would be the most consistent method, although bigHUN's experience does not bear that out. 

I have been using the FX Chrony for over a year now, with few, if any, real problems. The battery does run down quickly, but I use rechargeables and always have 3 fresh ones sitting in the charger. The minute I see the red light come on beside the green one I simply switch the batteries around. I have found that the inconsistencies increase if I continue to shoot after the red light warning comes on.

I find it so much easier to use than having to set up one of my two chronographs. For the first 3-4 months I would often test using both, but the results were so consistent between all three (never more than 1-2% off and generally consistent) that I no longer bother with that. I don’t get more dropped shots with the FX than I do with either of the other two optical chronographs.

Like elh0102 above, I simply find it easier and more consistent to hang the FX chrony off the barrel. Frankly they are light enough that I really don’t see a material difference in POI on most of my guns. If the POI does shift a little, the consistency in the new POI is still there.

I love the thing. For the price there is simply nothing that can touch it, and the ability to run out anytime and put around s down range through the radar beam is unsurpassed.

Chris