Tuning Fx carbon fibre sleeve- to glue or not to glue?

Hi everybody.

I just purchased a fx carbon fibre barrel sleeve and according to some websites that sell them ( huma etc) i shouldnt have to glue the sleeve to the barrel, but looking on youtube i see Ernest rowe gluing some of his earlier sleeves using what appeares to be silicon sealent.

To glue or not to glue ? That is the question,as i fitted it to my 700mm stx liner on my M3 and i didnt notice any difference in accuracy.

1st of let me say I don’t think you need the sleeve as much in the 700 mm barrels unless your shooting heavy pellets or slugs but i think it is a great thing for the 500mm! It really turned my 177 maverick compact around with 12.5 nsa slugs and i did not glue it. I haven’t glued them in 2 other 700mm barrels but haven’t noticed a big difference but perhaps a small 1

For the FX ones, they were sold on the premise you don't have to glue. The 910 ones, you had to glue from my understanding as they weren't as tight a fit on the liner. 

I used some of the tpu spacers I had printed prior to acquiring the FX sleeve to act as end stops. Suppose a thin film of epoxy wouldn't hurt on the FX sleeve liner...the fit is too tight to use silicone IMO. 

My 1st sleeve from 910 Was tighter in the barrel but looser on the sleeve. That was on my 22 500 MM. I glued that 1. I just bought a sleeve for my .30 500 M and and it was tight on the sleeve and slightly looser in the barrel. I did not glue that 1. And that shoots pretty Dang good. I would try it unglued to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference glue 

Allen

I epoxied mine. No plans or desire to ever remove the sleeve, they are cheap.... I am also using a superlight barrel, so it is a different animal. I cut the sleeve into 2 sections, sandwiched a liner/shroud spacer with epoxy in the middle, and stuck one on the end after the sleeve. Liner rides on spacers in the shroud, there is no retaining tube. My 22. 500mm superior has performed extremely well like this @50fpe in my Crown 

I have got one from Ernest that fit the outside very well for 22 barrel but didn't fit around the barrel tight at all I figured it was more to keep you from over tightening the outer nut which would cause the barrel to bow until it hit the outer wall I also ordered one for my 25 barrel kit and installed it today from 910 air guns and it fit the barrel tight and outer liner tight which is the way I thought Ernests would but I'm leaving both unglued and also using tension on my barrels made a spacer out peek to tighten between the shrouds and frame to put tension on the outer part of the barrel 

The question is the benefit of glue vs no glue! For 30 bucks why not add a little bit of assurance of glue? Personally I see no reason to switch the sleeve between the liners and if you do often then the tolerance will change on the carbon liner as it wears. There is no Down side to gluing.

qball, what do you think of the possibility of the "glue choice" affecting the liner harmonics in some fashion? 

I talked to Ernest and Newman @ RMAC about the new FX CF sleeves. No glue recommended.

Patrick

The question is the benefit of glue vs no glue! For 30 bucks why not add a little bit of assurance of glue? Personally I see no reason to switch the sleeve between the liners and if you do often then the tolerance will change on the carbon liner as it wears. There is no Down side to gluing.

qball, what do you think of the possibility of the "glue choice" affecting the liner harmonics in some fashion? 

I talked to Ernest and Numan @ RMAC about the new FX CF sleeves. No glue recommended.

Patrick

Don't think the glue choice would really have too much detectable harmonic difference. The goal is to stiffen the barrel so more contact area the better and any glue that solidifies into solid only add stiffness. I like 2 part epoxy because it cures to be very solid with little compression, having epoxy would virtually eliminate any gaps and will be as stiff as it can get or smallest harmonic nodes. HOWEVER that's to be debated without thorough test which is next to impossible but again why chance it? Biggest reason to glue is to permanently fix the sleeve on the liner so when you take it out it won't shift and possibly change the harmonics or indexing. If the FX sleeves are super tight and glue won't make a lick of difference I would still add glue simply to permanently fix the sleeve liner position so there won't be another variable to chase down. The sleeve is to eliminate/reduce 1 variable to the accuracy equation so why create another one with it. 

I am at a complete lost on what does anyone have to gain not gluing it on. At 30 dollars changing sleeves between liners is a fool's errand on even 1000 dollar dreamline. It's only one and half tin of pellets! We all have spent more than that on lunch and yet we trying to cheap out 30 bucks while chasing accuracy? If you want to save money then just don't buy them, my FX guns shot fine without them anyways. 

Reactions: Amink66
I just got one for my 500mm .177 Dreamline barrel. I haven't had the gun apart yet (learning how to remove the barrel and liner without breaking anything), but when I do, I plan to see how tight the fit is to the liner and I'll make a decision whether to glue or not based on whether I think it needs it. Nothing to lose by trying without bonding it to the liner. I can always go back in and do that later if I want to.