• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX carbon fiber sleeve install instructions

Just clean out the barrel sleeve good.

Slide in the carbon liner sleeve. Some light sanding with 400-600 grit paper may be required on high spots to make it fit well. It doesn't take much.

Clean the barrel liner good then slide it in the CF sleeve and put things back together.

Not really that much to it.

Ernest did a video on it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=fx+impact+carbon+liner+instal&atb=v180-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG5eaFA4iqno

Just remember if you glue it you will need to buy a new one if want you change your liner.

I just removed the shroud, then liner lock. Removed liner sticker and the placed the liner back in. places the sleeve over the liner, put the liner lock and shroud back in. Hand tight. shoot

ps : if you want to preserve POI mark the liner so un place it in the exact same position since any indexing will change POI

Marking is a good idea I wish I would have marked mine. I need to zero my Maverick or index the liner. 

I just removed the shroud, then liner lock. Removed liner sticker and the placed the liner back in. places the sleeve over the liner, put the liner lock and shroud back in. Hand tight. shoot

ps : if you want to preserve POI mark the liner so un place it in the exact same position since any indexing will change POI

Thanks. I wouldn’t have thought to remove the sticker. I assume it’s too tight with it on?

Maineiac, Yes indexing will insure that you will be close to the POI before you removed the liner. However, if you have never indexed then you should. Indexing will ensure that your POI is as close as can be to the vertical line, ie 12:00 o clock.

There are videos out there to show you but basically you put a starting index mark on the liner at 12:00, with a Sharpie. Set a target out at like 60+ yards on a calm day and shoot a small group (ammo is scarce these days), aiming at the bullseye.....then rotate the liner to about the 1:30-2:00 position. Again, aiming at the bullseye, shoot another group. Repeat rotating the liner to 3:00 o clock and so on until you make a full rotation back to 12:00.

You will see groups land in different spots as you rotate the liner. I go for the group closest to the vertical line above the bullseye. It my or may not go above but going above keeps your scope elevation in a good place. Then I erase the original index mark and make a new mark at the 12:00 o clock position and replace the lock nut.

Note you might want to set the mark a hair counterclockwise as the nut will move the liner a bit as you tighten. Then finally....fine tune things with your scope.

With the new index mark, you will always know where to replace it if you ever remove it in the future.

Personally I am going to re-index once I install the Carbon Fiber Sleeve as the sleeve will most certainly change harmonic characteristics of the liner and perhaps the POI.

Anyway, hope that helps

So glad we don't have to glue the new sleeves on ....now they will be interchangeable!

Second........you may want to keep the scope in the optical center close as possible and let the indexing groups wonder as they wish. When done, you will need to decide which group will be your AMEN, and go from there.

I would do indexing at longest possible distance you are comfortable shooting -> from a solid rest, and put up a bigger blank paper target. Shoot groups of 10 (but 5-6 at least) before you make a change to next index position.

Third, I did not epoxy. The liner itself was sliding in to the CF sleeve pretty easy, not too tight not too loose. I toke a white (thinnest) teflon tape and wrap it around the liner - in a single layer with gaps in between the wrap "coils", with turning the liner (same direction as the wrap) I push it in to the sleeve. Ones the entire length was inside the CF tube I could feel not turning or moving anymore but need a good effort to center it to fit both ends metal - to - metal. The teflon tape "cushion" give me a freedom to remove from the CF tube if needed in the future, but also gives some "give" inside the CF tube (you remember, the CF tubes are made/wrapped on a mandrel, the tube ID surfaces are not so ideal as the exterior tube grind on a machine !!!)

Reactions: rc4fun
@bigHUN thanks for the tip about the Teflon tape. When my liner showed up today I gave wrapping a go, not difficult. I made the first wrap beyond where the liner would go and then stretched and barber poll wrapped the liner. Fit like a champ you just need to be careful to not overlap wraps or get a crease. It worked so well that I did the same to the outside of the sleeve, that worked good also. I'm a happy camper. errr shooter. Tomorrow I'll index to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

I was going to try Kapton tape but it is way to thick.