• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Carbon Fiber Liner Sleeve

My experience mirrored that of the others here as well. Mine are unglued. I have made CF shrouds to go with sleeved liners too, using 15mm x 28mm. This combo seems to help harmonics and thermal stability too. On the Impact I added a 14mm x 20mm x 36mm spacer to snug up the shroud against the front support block. Next project is try Ernest Rowes 14mm x 20mm sleeve over my 600mm Impact barrel and make a tension cap @20mm OD with 1/2x20 threads to keep the CF positioned and allow for a moderator. I just received 14x20x1000 piece yesterday and will cut it down this weekend.

@blacksmith304, here are some photos and where I ordered the CF for the shroud.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MWLP2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Patrick

1.1649275347.jpg
2.1649275355.jpg
3.1649275380.jpg
6.1649276368.jpg

Overall, I noticed significant loss of sensativity in reguards to tune (this is a good thing), and also projectile type. POI from projectile to different projectile is also much closer together. 

Mine is segmented and is also epoxied permanently at it's full length in a superlight barrel system (no liner tube, no orings to begin with aside from the large ones on the liner supports).

144966348_3876951552394948_4761830615413367284_n.1649128583.jpg

Hi, what epoxy did you use? Thanks

Good Ole jb weld, lol. I've looked at some strength tests on various 2 part epoxies, and it ranks very high. In other words, extremely strong stuff when mixed and used correctly. Another good thing, it's very easy to find locally in most stores.

I applied it to the liner, then slowly rotated the tube up and over the epoxy, spinning and working it back and forth until it had considerable resistance, and would take no more epoxy. My liner tube is in 2 sections, so I did this twice. Slowly applying a little, working it in, applying more until it was dispersed evenly under the entire tube. Then with spacers on, assembled the shroud and let it set up with the barrel assembled as it should be. 

Overall, I noticed significant loss of sensativity in reguards to tune (this is a good thing), and also projectile type. POI from projectile to different projectile is also much closer together. 

Mine is segmented and is also epoxied permanently at it's full length in a superlight barrel system (no liner tube, no orings to begin with aside from the large ones on the liner supports).

144966348_3876951552394948_4761830615413367284_n.1649128583.jpg

Hi, what epoxy did you use? Thanks

Good Ole jb weld, lol. I've looked at some strength tests on various 2 part epoxies, and it ranks very high. In other words, extremely strong stuff when mixed and used correctly. Another good thing, it's very easy to find locally in most stores.

I applied it to the liner, then slowly rotated the tube up and over the epoxy, spinning and working it back and forth until it had considerable resistance, and would take no more epoxy. My liner tube is in 2 sections, so I did this twice. Slowly applying a little, working it in, applying more until it was dispersed evenly under the entire tube. Then with spacers on, assembled the shroud and let it set up with the barrel assembled as it should be.

Thank for the detailed information! I was thinking of using JB Weld 😀. Now i know it will work.

Thanks for that answer @qball. One of the main reasons I ask this question is this. And please take this with a huge grain of salt. I am in no way flaming FX or any brand or manufacturer. However, they say right out the box the rifle will shoot lights out and the accuracy is beyond compare. Then they say buy a carbon fiber barrel stiffener to get even better groups. Then they say buy a harmonic balancer and it will give you even better groups. Let's say the gun is already shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Are we to assume those groups will get even smaller with every addition we add? If this were the case, we should expect to have one hole groups at a certain yardage if the ammo is correct and the stars have aligned. I would just like to see the manufacturer or it's representatives show a little proof of this.

Just my opinion and hopefully shed some light on the FX accuracy out of the box statement. The claim is valid as they tune the rifles for the caliber and pellets that they designed them to shoot best with. For example they build a .22 Dreamline with 500mm barrel to shoot approx. 860 fps with the JSB 18.1 because it got the best accuracy and consistency during the R&D stage. The carbon sleeve and harmonic tuner come into play after you deviate from the factory tune to increase power with a different slug or pellet so you can get the harmonics back closer to normal when you change the factory tune, projectile or any component of the gun.

Just my opinion and hopefully shed some light on the FX accuracy out of the box statement. The claim is valid as they tune the rifles for the caliber and pellets that they designed them to shoot best with. For example they build a .22 Dreamline with 500mm barrel to shoot approx. 860 fps with the JSB 18.1 because it got the best accuracy and consistency during the R&D stage. The carbon sleeve and harmonic tuner come into play after you deviate from the factory tune to increase power with a different slug or pellet so you can get the harmonics back closer to normal when you change the factory tune, projectile or any component of the gun.

I can live with that explanation. It makes perfect sense.

My experience mirrored that of the others here as well. Mine are unglued. I have made CF shrouds to go with sleeved liners too, using 15mm x 28mm. This combo seems to help harmonics and thermal stability too. On the Impact I added a 14mm x 20mm x 36mm spacer to snug up the shroud against the front support block. Next project is try Ernest Rowes 14mm x 20mm sleeve over my 600mm Impact barrel and make a tension cap @20mm OD with 1/2x20 threads to keep the CF positioned and allow for a moderator. I just received 14x20x1000 piece yesterday and will cut it down this weekend.

@blacksmith304, here are some photos and where I ordered the CF for the shroud.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MWLP2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Patrick

View attachment 208370View attachment 208380View attachment 208392View attachment 208405
This carbon fiber work is beautiful,
can this be ordered or was this self made ??

I can live with that explanation. It makes perfect sense.
I have the .30 cal maverick with 700 mm barrel and it’s an absolute tack driver out of the box with jsb 44g pellets (not at home so the Gr of pellet may be wrong here)the 50 grain didn’t shoot well at all and there just isn’t enough pellets to choose from so I may drop down to .25 or .22 for a more variety of pellets and slugs to choose.

I bought mine for one reason only, and that was to help prevent poi shifts. My rifle was accurate before, didnt see any group size improvements. It might have helped more ammo variety and speed variety shoot well, but imo thats not the real reason to install one. Mine is a 700mm 25cal and it is not glued. The sleeve by itself drastically increased barrel rigidity and I think its something FX should include with every rifle. The o-ring scam is pretty silly, but Im sure there will be plenty of people that disagree with me.

Has anyone here used the CF sleeves in combination with a Sabre Tactical TRS rail using the delrin clamp insert? Just curious because people claim the sleeve helps with harmonics and rigidity, and the rail helps with poi shifts. Seems like it "might" be a good combo.
I have the Huma tensioner kit paired with the CF sleeve on mine, and now the bottle flexes more than the barrel. I was first interested in the TRS rail with the clamp, but ultimately decided the Huma kit would be more what I was after. The barrel is super rigid and no longer works loose from the breech, my rifle is accurate although louder than the factory shroud.

Reactions: Sireal
I want one for my 600mm MK 2 Crown and can't even find one!
The crown has a super lite barrel, so the carbon sleeve won’t work as well. I contacted bullet central, and they were looking into making a carbon barrel tensioning system for the super lite barrels, but not sure if it went anywhere.