FX Carbon Fiber Liner Sleeve

Tons of people have it and not all results are conclusive because there are so many variables. If the tune is terrible then a carbon sleeve isn’t going to help, it’s for that last 5%. If your tune is very good the carbon tube will reduce the groups variations between power setting due to harmonic but that also has a few variables. IMHO the 30 dollars is well spent just to replace the stupid orings and it does help with accuracy depending on the situation. 

I just helped one guy at the range with his Impactx without the carbon liner and found a sweet spot for the tune. Even without the liner he is able to get 1/2-3/4 group at 100 if the wind is consistent so it’s not a cure all besides replacing annoying orings. 

Keith and Bobby,

A week ago, Corvid Hunter posted a thread, "Differences Between FX Barrels and Some FAQs." You can find it on Page 16 of General Discussion Section. Video is easy to follow, not long and very informative. The FAQs, at end of video, are eye-opening when it comes to FX barrel modification research findings. Recommend checking it out. WM

Thanks for that answer @qball. One of the main reasons I ask this question is this. And please take this with a huge grain of salt. I am in no way flaming FX or any brand or manufacturer. However, they say right out the box the rifle will shoot lights out and the accuracy is beyond compare. Then they say buy a carbon fiber barrel stiffener to get even better groups. Then they say buy a harmonic balancer and it will give you even better groups. Let's say the gun is already shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Are we to assume those groups will get even smaller with every addition we add? If this were the case, we should expect to have one hole groups at a certain yardage if the ammo is correct and the stars have aligned. I would just like to see the manufacturer or it's representatives show a little proof of this.

Reactions: BSJ
I agree with everything qball said 100%. The sleeve is not a game changer. It’s more for consistency. But I have a FX pellet shooter that doesn’t have a CF sleeve and never will. Both my sluggers have them because I don’t want any “what if’s” with that crazy barrel system. But that overly complicated system is capable of shooting pellets crazy accurate with or without a sleeve.

Overall, I noticed significant loss of sensativity in reguards to tune (this is a good thing), and also projectile type. POI from projectile to different projectile is also much closer together. 

Mine is segmented and is also epoxied permanently at it's full length in a superlight barrel system (no liner tube, no orings to begin with aside from the large ones on the liner supports).

144966348_3876951552394948_4761830615413367284_n.1649128583.jpg

1D33DDE3-9740-4857-A290-2E263C37F56D.1649128782.jpeg
B72CB89B-F648-467E-A546-0817B75B69BD.1649128783.jpeg

Every liner I get my hands on gets a cf sleeve epoxied on. It’s shown very slight(if any) improvement on already accurate liner, it has shown some(not great, but good for me)improvement on a so so liner. Perfect example is a 22 cal liner I’m dealing with. It showed potential. The cf liner sleeve made improvements to it but not great, but I’m ok with it cause I know part of getting good accuracy comes also from your guns tune and how you care for the barrel. Ammo choices also aid in the accuracy dept.

But for sure the three main reasons all my liners get sleeved are 1. More ridged of a liner with an epoxied sleeve, 2. Way better to center the liner within the barrel vs the factory o rings, and 3. At anytime I could slide my liner out and know what’s in the gun as it’s easier to label the liner with the sleeve, as shown

I did not see any improvement putting one on my Maverick barrel, but then again that rifle always fight me so far.

I have now put in a 700 mm barrel in hope that will work.

Mind you, the CF sleeve i got, fit the barrel just fine ( light suction fit ), but the fit in the barrel pipe are extremely sloppy, when the weather get better i will paint the CF sleeve on the outside so it get a better fit in the barrel pipe.

PS: i Have also ordered CF pipe to go on the outside of my barrel pipe taking it from the 14 mm OD to the 28 MM OD the shroud are, this should give me the worlds stiffest FX barrel.

I have the carbon sleeve and I definitely started to notice the difference at 100 yards with follow up shots when shooting for speed. I was able to reset, take aim, fire a little quicker when trying to shoot fast and my groups tightened while doing this.. maybe a 1/4 inch @ 100 yards. So there’s definitely a difference, a lot less harmonic shift in the barrels after each shot. Highly recommend. 

Thanks for that answer @qball. One of the main reasons I ask this question is this. And please take this with a huge grain of salt. I am in no way flaming FX or any brand or manufacturer. However, they say right out the box the rifle will shoot lights out and the accuracy is beyond compare. Then they say buy a carbon fiber barrel stiffener to get even better groups. Then they say buy a harmonic balancer and it will give you even better groups. Let's say the gun is already shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Are we to assume those groups will get even smaller with every addition we add? If this were the case, we should expect to have one hole groups at a certain yardage if the ammo is correct and the stars have aligned. I would just like to see the manufacturer or it's representatives show a little proof of this.

can’t blame you or your perceptions. 

first of all yes FX guns do shoot great right out of the box for pellets and light slugs. When you shoot heavy slugs the harmonics amplifies greatly due to much higher power and heavier projectiles, still can shoot very well just takes more tuning. Going back to the impact I helped tune just 2 days ago is a good example, 70ish FPE like a laser without the liner. However every gun is different but I found the liner sleeves provide better consistency across tunes or less sensitive to tunes by replacing the orings and stiffen the liner as experienced by many people. Another way to put it is I don’t really need to do fine tuning nearly as much compared to before with heavy slugs.

tuner is a complete different subject and is designed for very specific use case of bench rest rigs and that last 1% gain. I had one on and took it off because I don’t see a difference due to the way I shoot. It’s for the last 1-2% improvement for true bench rest guns or heavy locked in place guns just like the PB world. 

FX can definitely do better with their marketing and IMHO they should include carbon sleeves with every single liner and specify the tuner is designed for bench rest application. 

hope that helps. 

I think the CF liner helps with consistency and ease of tune. Let me explain. I have used one on a .25 Impact, .22 Maverick, and .25 Boss (yes, .25, not .30). The first one was my .25 Impact Slugger, shooting at approx. 80 FPE. What I noticed was when INDEXING the liner, it made a significant difference compared to without the CF sleeve. With the CF sleeve it didn't seem to matter much where I indexed the liner, the POI remained very close to the same. So I think compared to the o-rings, the CF sleeve removes additional variables and helps consistency. My first one is glued, the other two aren't, doesn't seem t o make much difference one way or the other.

Overall, I noticed significant loss of sensativity in reguards to tune (this is a good thing), and also projectile type. POI from projectile to different projectile is also much closer together. 

Mine is segmented and is also epoxied permanently at it's full length in a superlight barrel system (no liner tube, no orings to begin with aside from the large ones on the liner supports).

144966348_3876951552394948_4761830615413367284_n.1649128583.jpg

Hi, what epoxy did you use? Thanks

I think the CF liner helps with consistency and ease of tune. Let me explain. I have used one on a .25 Impact, .22 Maverick, and .25 Boss (yes, .25, not .30). The first one was my .25 Impact Slugger, shooting at approx. 80 FPE. What I noticed was when INDEXING the liner, it made a significant difference compared to without the CF sleeve. With the CF sleeve it didn't seem to matter much where I indexed the liner, the POI remained very close to the same. So I think compared to the o-rings, the CF sleeve removes additional variables and helps consistency. My first one is glued, the other two aren't, doesn't seem t o make much difference one way or the other.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT CC