Tuning FX Boss .30, weird shot string - FPS goes up.

FX has either changed its reg design, or the Boss uses a different one than the Royale, because that one is definitely not like the one that came in my Royale. Looks like it may be designed to hold the stem by the knurled wheel while turning the adjustment end, or vice versa, can't tell from the photo.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If you need better photos, I finally figured out how to upload pictures to the forum. All of the videos that I have found concerning the FX Boss factory reg have one with a lock nut - mine doesn't. I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

To adjust the regulator you need to hold the brass head on top of the springs and adjust the regulator pressure with a small hex wrench inserted into the hex screw that's inside the brass piece. I used a small pair of channel loc pliers to hold the brass piece while adjusting the the hex screw. In reality the hex screw is what stays stationary and your tightening or loosening the brass piece to compress the spring washers. The knurled piece is just snugged up for sealing purposes and not associated to the regulator pressure adjustment. 

When I had a Royale 500 I use to check my regulator pressure with this adapter that screws into the stock retention hole. https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/fill-probes-adaptors/custom-parts/weihrauch-hw100-regulator-port-adaptor/.  Then I got creative and just installed a second gauge to show the regulator pressure. 

FX regulator check.1627824742.PNG
M6 fitting.1627824789.PNG
IMG_2693.1627824807.jpg

One thing I can't remember though is if the Boss uses a different stock retention fitting (larger threads). The adapter is M6. I'm pretty sure I drilled mine out and retapped it for a Boss fitting. Too long ago..

jking

Glemm Chally will know. 

FX has either changed its reg design, or the Boss uses a different one than the Royale, because that one is definitely not like the one that came in my Royale. Looks like it may be designed to hold the stem by the knurled wheel while turning the adjustment end, or vice versa, can't tell from the photo.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If you need better photos, I finally figured out how to upload pictures to the forum. All of the videos that I have found concerning the FX Boss factory reg have one with a lock nut - mine doesn't. I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

To adjust the regulator you need to hold the brass head on top of the springs and adjust the regulator pressure with a small hex wrench inserted into the hex screw that's inside the brass piece. I used a small pair of channel loc pliers to hold the brass piece while adjusting the the hex screw. In reality the hex screw is what stays stationary and your tightening or loosening the brass piece to compress the spring washers. The knurled piece is just snugged up for sealing purposes and not associated to the regulator pressure adjustment. 

When I had a Royale 500 I use to check my regulator pressure with this adapter that screws into the stock retention hole. https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/fill-probes-adaptors/custom-parts/weihrauch-hw100-regulator-port-adaptor/.  Then I got creative and just installed a second gauge to show the regulator pressure. 

FX regulator check.1627824742.PNG
M6 fitting.1627824789.PNG
IMG_2693.1627824807.jpg

One thing I can't remember though is if the Boss uses a different stock retention fitting (larger threads). The adapter is M6. I'm pretty sure I drilled mine out and retapped it for a Boss fitting. Too long ago..

jking

Glemm Chally will know.

Yeah the Boss has a bigger stock retaining "screw holder" that's where the transfer port from the regulated chamber is drilled up towards the valve chamber. And one reason why the Boss has more power potential in the action. 

Like Jimmy said, hold this center 3mm? with a hex key, and turn the nut to compress the springs (raise reg pressure) Stock Royale/Boss reg. Red nut goes into action first and is in plenum.

20210801_065413.1627826095.jpg

20210801_065424.1627826131.jpg

But like Ccut said on the Huma the adjustment side is on the bottle side. Opposite.

If you're having issues with either throw the other in and see if it fixes it.

Hammer spring adjustment is here, if it's never been touched might need to heat it to break some loctite, my Boss and Royale never had any just be aware. 5mm

*Also just remove the barrel before you adjust the reg then you don't have to fiddle with the fill port. Up to you though.

20210801_070410.1627826762.jpg

I'll have time on tuesday to fiddle with it (the Huma reg). If I can't get it to work, I'll put the stock one back in and try to adjust it up.

I got to where I could pull mine adjust it a tad and have it back on line in under 10 minutes or less so it's not a big chore for sure. 

Jking

I have also gotten to where I can access the reg pretty quickly, and Glem's advise of pulling the barrel is correct. when I am attemting to adjust the reg, I only snug down one the grub screws that hold the barrel in place. After I'm done, then I snug down all three.

Do you guys that use a Huma leave that screw in? I always just used it to put the reg in and pull it out and would remove it before closing the gun up.

Nope, never leave it in. In the Bobcat/Boss/Royale you can’t leave it in anyway since the retainer nut butts up within a mm of the top of the reg. I’ve used at least 30 if not more Huma regs and have never left that screw in. Half the time it doesn’t even come with one.