• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FX Boss .25 to .30 conversion - chrono and test groups at 50Y

I just got back my FX Boss .30 caliber from 910 Airguns. Newman Buck was as pleasant as can be, listened intently to my "ask" and was very responsive with a quick turnaround. He did a complete reseal, cleaned barrel thoroughly, tuned gun ( HST and Regulator adjustments ) to shoot 44g. JSB @ 870 FPS; and converted the Boss from .25 to .30 caliber.

You hit a homerun Newman!

Bought this a while back from Mike (CC) as a .25 caliber, which did shoot great. But, I want to shoot a bit more at 100 yards from the bench, so I wanted to experiment with a .30 caliber. Mike sent me the ST .30 barrel with Huggett and I shipped it off to Newman about 10 days ago.

Today, I just shot at 50 yards because I wanted to Chrony the BOSS and just shoot 5-shot groups. It was a light wind day, but at times it would get to 4-6 mph. I just purchased a new Air Chrony MK3, and I am delighted with the performance so far. Unfortunately, with the Huggett moderator ( see picture ) on the BOSS, I could not fit the Chrony on the bench -- too long. The Boss with the Huggett is a whopping 49" long with the Huggett. I did remove the Huggett and was able to then Chrono the Boss. My 8 shot magazine group with the Chrony was a ragged hole about 1/2" . 873 FPS average with ES=8. Exactly where Newman had it set with the tune.

I shot about eight 5-shot groups at 50 yards with an average CTC of .51" The JSB 44.1G leaves big holes, so my target paper with cardboard backing did tear a bit making it difficult for precise measurements. I did all measurements with my Caliper and also measured just the cardboard holes to see how close I got to the paper measurements.

Will wait for a calm wind, warmer day to take it out to 100 yards with flags. So far, I am delighted with the tune and the Boss .30!!

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, not sure I understand. FX BOSS is .30 cal. Did you start off with a Boss that had been converted to .25? My Boss has been the most awesome airgun I own. Trouble free, virtually maintenance free & so freaking accurate it STILL blows me away every time I use it. Devastating on pests or WHATEVER it hits.
EDIT: guess I should read entire posts before I reply! So, it WAS Mike's .25 Boss (conversion). Hope you enjoy your Boss even half as much as I do mine. I'll NEVER part with it as long as I can shoot! Mike & I have had many hunting adventures where I used my Boss. I've got a Bobcat .22 that he set up for scope clicking (dial-a-kill) that is AMAZING! Boss,Bobcat, Royale is the best platform FX ever made!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Sorry, not sure I understand. FX BOSS is .30 cal. Did you start off with a Boss that had been converted to .25? My Boss has been the most awesome airgun I own. Trouble free, virtually maintenance free & so freaking accurate it STILL blows me away every time I use it. Devastating on pests or WHATEVER it hits.
Hi Gerry.

Yes, I bought this used. It was a .30 caliber converted to a .25 caliber when I purchased it a while back several months ago. I strictly am using it for benchrest only, so I wanted to experiment and switch it back to a .30.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
EDIT: guess I should read entire posts before I reply! So, it WAS Mike's .25 Boss (conversion). Hope you enjoy your Boss even half as much as I do mine. I'll NEVER part with it as long as I can shoot! Mike & I have had many hunting adventures where I used my Boss. I've got a Bobcat .22 that he set up for scope clicking (dial-a-kill) that is AMAZING! Boss,Bobcat, Royale is the best platform FX ever made!!!
Yeah, I am enjoying it a whole lot. I am so used to shooting the .22 caliber 15.89 and 18.1 JSB pellets, and these 44g .30 caliber pellets look huge! Have to also agree as I have the FX Royale 400 .22 ST and I love that gun as well. I am anxious to see how I do at 100 yards, but will wait for a calm light wind day to test first round. Once I get a handle on it, I realize the wind is "always" my friend! Fat chance...

Went to the range today, and it was a bit windy. I set up some paper targets at 50 yards and was planning to shoot some 5-shot groups and then an N50 target

First shot from the BOSS .30 and I heard a loud noise and saw bits of my Huggett moderator shoot out of the barrel. I must have inadvertently not screwed it on very well, is the only thing I can think of possibly. I went out on the range afterwards and picked up the pieces of the internals. I can see I clipped the edge of the moderator, but this is entirely my fault. I recall running a couple of patches through it last week, and somehow I managed to shoot the edge of the moderator with the clipped pellet. The only thing I can think of is that at the end of the Huggett, I may have not screwed on the moderator such that everything was aligned properly. I really don't know what I did wrong. In any case, I need a new moderator as this one is history.

I shot the BOSS without the moderator for the rest of the session. It did shoot very accurately at 50 yards, despite a 3-6 mph wind at times. I tried to wait for calm, but did not have flags out since the range started getting crowded. Shot (8) five shot groups with a .371" CTC average which is remarkable, and although I wrecked a moderator, I was happy with the BOSS.

At the end of the session, I shot ONE N50 card and had a 235-3X. Not bad, but not great either. My hold was just outside the 7 ring at 6 O'clock, but I took a while to adjust. I shoot from right to left, starting at bottom row. No flags, so I was shooting blind. I normally use two flags, but the range got crowded and I could not justify going cold today, too busy.

One of these days, I am going to take it out to 100 yards when the weather and wind cooperate.

IMG_8173.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

Reactions: igolfat8
Went to the range today, and it was a bit windy. I set up some paper targets at 50 yards and was planning to shoot some 5-shot groups and then an N50 target

First shot from the BOSS .30 and I heard a loud noise and saw bits of my Huggett moderator shoot out of the barrel. I must have inadvertently not screwed it on very well, is the only thing I can think of possibly. I went out on the range afterwards and picked up the pieces of the internals. I can see I clipped the edge of the moderator, but this is entirely my fault. I recall running a couple of patches through it last week, and somehow I managed to shoot the edge of the moderator with the clipped pellet. The only thing I can think of is that at the end of the Huggett, I may have not screwed on the moderator such that everything was aligned properly. I really don't know what I did wrong. In any case, I need a new moderator as this one is history.

I shot the BOSS without the moderator for the rest of the session. It did shoot very accurately at 50 yards, despite a 3-6 mph wind at times. I tried to wait for calm, but did not have flags out since the range started getting crowded. Shot (8) five shot groups with a .371" CTC average which is remarkable, and although I wrecked a moderator, I was happy with the BOSS.

At the end of the session, I shot ONE N50 card and had a 235-3X. Not bad, but not great either. My hold was just outside the 7 ring at 6 O'clock, but I took a while to adjust. I shoot from right to left, starting at bottom row. No flags, so I was shooting blind. I normally use two flags, but the range got crowded and I could not justify going cold today, too busy.

One of these days, I am going to take it out to 100 yards when the weather and wind cooperate.

View attachment 332033

View attachment 332034

View attachment 332035

View attachment 332036

View attachment 332037
Nice groups!!! Wow, that Huggett wasn't cheap! Not sure what you need for the Boss, but I think Donny makes an adaptor. I recommend an STO (Silent Thunder Ordnance) Falx HIGH FLOW moderator. It works great on the Delta Wolf .30, and the high power (93 FPE) .25 Impact Slugger. Can you just repack the materials inside the Huggett?

Reactions: tommyb
A "whopping 49" long" you say?!?!?! Sounds like a long beast. ;)

Kidding aside, sounds and looks like a very successful project. Congrats.
Thanks to both Mikes!!

Have to say, I started a lot of these 5-shot groups with two or three in the same hole. Very encouraging for 50 yards.

Too bad I blew out the Huggett moderator.

Waiting for a quiet wind day, just so I can baseline the .30 from the bench. The Tripod is better for me than the nice Accu-Tac Bipod. Keeps it more stable.