• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

FX Big Bore Gun for the American Market? We Want it!

Greetings FX!
You guys wow'd us with the FX Bobcat and Wildcat to cater to the American Market. Now do it again!!!! I think I speak for many people when I say that it would
be great if FX made a Big bore Airgun? Currently, we are looking at the Slayer from American Air Arms: http://americanairarms.com/
I think that introducing a big bore airgun from your very well known company would create great sales! Daystate has done it with their Wolverine 
303 B Hi-Lite. However I don't think their FPE(only 103 FPE ) is adequate enough for trophy sized white tail deer(heart+lung shots) and giant african game. However, I do understand that the 303 Hi-Lite has sacrificed power from 200->103 FPE for shot count. Daystate's Wolverine Hi-Lite has a good 20 shots! I and many others would like FX to revolutionize the airgun market with a new big bore airgun. Perhaps include these attributes: 
  • Multiple Caliber choices= .308, .35-357, .45, and possibly the .50
  • High Air reservoir in the 400-500cc range
  • Lightweight for in the field (possibly achieved with bullpup design instead of rifle? Rifle'd version is great too!
  • Higher FPE than the Daystate's 103 FPE 
  • Shrouded Barrel with threaded end cap barrel+full on moderator unnecessary but nice
  • Competitive price point against the Daystate Wolverine 303 @2899$, and American Air Arms Slayer @1900$
  • Adequate Smoothtwist or normal barrel implemented for big bore
  • Quieter hammer?
  • More included picatinny rails for bipod  + scopes
  • Decent Magazine Capacity, 6-8 shots depending on how many shots per fill
  • Regulated(we need every shot we can get out of a bigbore)
  • Increase Max Fill from 3000PSI->3600PSI for higher shot count/pressure
  • A Killer Look! 
I feel like a gun with these attributes would please many Americans including me. Most of the attributes I listed are already implemented for many of your guns so it would be a mix of all your favorite stuff. I really loved my wildcat from you guys and hope to see more developments! Everyone else who agrees should speak up and voice your opinions(although this conversation may be limited with just me and the manufacturer). This is a request/suggestion? Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Michael

Many Edits*: I misunderstood that the Daystate 303 hi-lite fires the same projectiles as the .30 Bobcat. 

They make the FX Boss & Bobcat in .30 Cal are they not considered big bore? When I looked at the Boss because there was one in the classifieds a while back I decided I wanted more shots per fill and cheaper ammo but eventually when I add more guns to my collection I would like to get either a RAW.357 or the FX Boss in .30 Cal. I will see how much I like the RAW HM-1000X I have on order now in .25 Cal.

Mike

"Gundog"They make the FX Boss & Bobcat in .30 Cal are they not considered big bore? When I looked at the Boss because there was one in the classifieds a while back I decided I wanted more shots per fill and cheaper ammo but eventually when I add more guns to my collection I would like to get either a RAW.357 or the FX Boss in .30 Cal. I will see how much I like the RAW HM-1000X I have on order now in .25 Cal.

Mike
Yes the FX Boss and bobcat are "technically" considered big bore. However for hunting large animals like hogs, deer, and anything larger, these guns are inadequate. I see many people opt out for a Big bore Texan Air rifle, the Benjamin Bulldog, and Sam Yang's Dragon Claw because I haven't seen many companies like FX or Daystate create a "true" 150 FPE big bore air rifle. I feel like they are losing a good chunk of revenue if they don't offer something for this niche. This niche of course is primarily Americans looking to hunt big game and compete with powder burners.

Michael

I'm also looking for a larger caliber than my FX Royale 500 .25 cal. I want to reach out to 200 & 300 yards, easily. There is mid bore and big bore. 
Right now I don't think there is enough demand for a larger bore than .30 cal. With the .30 cal, you can get an easy regulated 25 shots per fill on on a 500 cc bottle. Once you get above the .30 cal round, it takes much more air to push the bullet out the tube. An exception to the .30 cal is the .257 cal. This bullet needs the velocity to keep it stablized. Remember, the larger the round the more air it takes. If you have a portable air compressor, that's no problem. If you don't and you only have one Tiger Shark or Great White SCBA bottle, your will not shoot for long.

I'm looking towards the mid bore range which I believe runs from .25 up to .30 cal. I'm looking to shoot bullets and not pellets. To get what I want, I may have to highly modify an existing big bore rifle that can accept the modifications.

I have been researching the TAG forum under this link: http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=3734346e7b078f001f6e3db2b25809df.
There is a lot of good information there. Most of it relates to the Air Force rifle, but some others are mentioned as well. I'm not opposed to using the A/F rifle if it will do what I want it to. I know a lot of you do not care for TAG, but research is research.

Also the link at GTA forums: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?board=119.0
This too has a lot of information, some of it more technical than I can understand. But none the less there is some good information on many rifles there.

I started my quest looking for either a .308 cal or 7 mm. After reading the aforementioned forums, I have decided on the .257 cal. This bullet has good velocity and shooters are sighting in at 100 yards and the longest shot I believe is at 600 yards. I can't locate that one right now, but there is a video of it on YouTube. Here is one where Cedric is shooting his .257 at 446 yards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1caY8myfs

I can't locate the 600 yard shot with the air rifle on a Coke can, but here is one at 545 yards with the .257 on a silhoutte target; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNMf6wXyIyY&list=PL7yM3KT1HqgHsf95dGw5zvRVDhR2BwV4S&index=22

I think what is needed is a combination of two things, an actual air rifle pellet/slug designed from ground up as a hunting round.
This may be a hybrid of sorts that is to say the tip designed to penetrate then act as a spreader shoved back into the rest of the slug expanding its. Size and impact, perhaps also instead of using lead skirts as a gas seal use a plastic,
Black powder slugs even those that are not sabats use a very similar gas seal. A result should be a round that has much less barred drag and should be able to reach higher velocity.
One of the biggest issues with big bore airguns is consistent grouping for whatever reason once the pellet or slug is over powered it losses its accuracy, either because of poor manufacturing or some type of imbalance.
A .30 is a 7.62 I believe and a .35 is a 9mm both can be a deadly platform but only if there is a way to increase the projectiles performance.
I don't know if its the rifle that the issue or the round or a combination of the two