FX Barrel Tuner mod

I've been fiddling with an FX barrel tuner on my Dreamline Tact. I've gone full rabbit hole on the barrel, CF sleeve over the liner and a CF shroud. I'm using the barrel tuner to tension the CF shroud. My quandary was how to get consistent tension on the shroud to allow greater repeatability with the barrel tuner.

What I came up with is a very simple solution. I found that a 1/4" drive, 1/2" socket fit over the threaded end of the tuner and a 3/32" hex wrench fit in the hole. Then it was just a matter of cutting a couple of slots in the deep enough so the socket bottomed out on the threaded portion of the tune. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to make the slots. A 1/4" socket adapter was added to a Wheeler torque wrench. I also added a tiny bit of heat shrink to the hex wrench to keep it from sliding all the way through the hole.

I also engraved numbers on the barrel tuner to make easier to keep track of my settings.

I'm just starting to experiment with the settings. My initial settings are between 25 - 30 in/lb. I'll update the post with whether it makes a difference. My goal with whole project is to wring as much accuracy as possible just for the sheer sport of it. Such a deep,deep rabbit hole...

Thurber-2.jpg

Thurber-4.jpg

Thurber-7.jpg