• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx barrel made of all carbon fiber

I have a quick question on fx barrels. I use a carbon fiber barrel sleeve on my Maverick and this actually goes to the impacts also. I was curious has anyone ever used a carbon fiber tube instead of all the original barrel kit?

Instead of the, which I’m guessing the steel threaded tube, switching it out for a carbon fiber that will capture the liner and thread the ends to mate with the transfer port and the jam/lock nut. Has anyone thought of this for stiffening the barrel and reduce vibrations?

IMG_8643.jpeg

My first thought is, the FX liner system places the liner in compression, which is the least favorable arrangement. So if one were to put effort toward fabricobbling a carbon fiber & liner assembly, it would be worthwhile to do it in such a way as to place the liner in tension.
I’m not thinking of tension more than more stiffer and less vibration. If that makes sense.

I’m not thinking of tension more than more stiffer and less vibration. If that makes sense.
That's what he's telling you. Tension kills vibration while compression magnifies vibration. Just adding a carbon fiber tube helps a little, then adding tension helps a lot. Use the carbon fiber tube as a spacer between two threaded ends to create tension on the liner... or whatever arrangement that creates the same result.

Reactions: nervoustrig
I'm just saying I don't think the goals of "stiffer and less vibration" are served by taking the OEM FX approach of a threaded steel tube and jam nut, and adapting a carbon fiber tube to it. Whereas an arrangement that applies tension does benefit those two goals. But if applying tension is of no interest, you're probably better off simply bonding a CF tube (or 2 or 3) to the liner.

That's what he's telling you. Tension kills vibration while compression magnifies vibration. Just adding a carbon fiber tube helps a little, then adding tension helps a lot. Use the carbon fiber tube as a spacer between two threaded ends to create tension on the liner... or whatever arrangement that creates the same result.
Oh I misread I’m sorry

I totally disagree with the whole system.. why mess with all these things.. wouldn't it be much easier to get a real rifle barrel.. possibly a octagon from a Henry and machine it to fit.. I've never seen real rifle barrel flex vibrate or anything.. I think these barrel liners are just another way to make a cheap product and sell it high.. I was surprised that you can take rifling out of a barrel with a brass brush.. it's going to get to the point that if you want something good you have to make it yourself..
just my two cents.. and penny is not worth much anymore.. I've probably already said too much
mark

I totally disagree with the whole system.. why mess with all these things.. wouldn't it be much easier to get a real rifle barrel.. possibly a octagon from a Henry and machine it to fit.. I've never seen real rifle barrel flex vibrate or anything.. I think these barrel liners are just another way to make a cheap product and sell it high.. I was surprised that you can take rifling out of a barrel with a brass brush.. it's going to get to the point that if you want something good you have to make it yourself..
just my two cents.. and penny is not worth much anymore.. I've probably already said too much
mark
Powder burner barrels do flex and oscillate on firing. You just can't see it with the naked eye. That's why we tune loads to the node.

I've taken two carbon fiber sleeves and cut the one down to have the jam nut tighten onto it instead of the barrel it helped
The problem with that is your cut down carbon fiber sleeve is far less rigid now that it's under compression. The best way to reach your goal is to fix the barrel to the receiver better by making the dimple deeper (FX) or whatever method you like and then put a larger diameter spacer between the receiver and a threaded area at the muzzle end so the compression goes onto the larger diameter spacer and tensions the barrel. Any compression on a barrel amplifies vibration while tension decreases it. I'm sure there are guys much smarter than me here that could explain it better.

Powder burner barrels do flex and oscillate on firing. You just can't see it with the naked eye. That's why we tune loads to the node.
ok whatever, but it doesn't matter what load I put in my Henry golden boy 22, short, long, higg velocity.. if it is in range of the ammo it's a sure hit.. if I ever get the chance to do a build, I'll be trying to get a new golden boy 22 barrel and mount it to a avenger X receiver and a tank instead of the tube..
although the way things are going, I'll never get started..
things are going downhill fast for me.. I'm in constant pain, found out I had stage 2 cancer a year ago misdiagnosed and now it's a painful waiting game for the MRI, physical therapy and neurology and then maybe they will be able to help me next year.. if I'm still here..
I really miss iamtoasty 😭 don't know what happened but he's been gone awhile and he was so friendly and encouraging
mark
Mark

fact of the matter, if I could feel good enough doing it, I'd try to get a very good action either a bottle stock if conventional or a bullpup with a large bottle.. and a action that doesn't have the spring loaded magazine.. and if bullpup the cocking lever near the trigger.. add a good hexagon barrel.. 30-357 caliber and some type of large magazine and try to make a gun like the gondili rifle.. Lewis and Clark expedition.. one capable of 20+ shots.. reload ammo and another 20.. then think about getting some air..
I honestly haven't seen any rifle with the firepower of the gondili rifle yet.
also I'm thinking about getting lead rounds and see what they do long distance, since it appears that pellets from my rifle either loose stability or tumble at 179 yards
but it just wishing... Mark

Do you remember that submersible that imploded and sank earlier this year? CF doesnt flex very much which makes it a poor material for high pressures. Also I dont think it would hold up well when it came to the rifling.

Edit: Or are you talking about a full thickness/diameter CF shroud? When you say CF Barrel my mind went straight to the liner assembly, not the shroud.

Last edited:
ok whatever, but it doesn't matter what load I put in my Henry golden boy 22, short, long, higg velocity.. if it is in range of the ammo it's a sure hit.. if I ever get the chance to do a build, I'll be trying to get a new golden boy 22 barrel and mount it to a avenger X receiver and a tank instead of the tube..
although the way things are going, I'll never get started..
things are going downhill fast for me.. I'm in constant pain, found out I had stage 2 cancer a year ago misdiagnosed and now it's a painful waiting game for the MRI, physical therapy and neurology and then maybe they will be able to help me next year.. if I'm still here..
I really miss iamtoasty 😭 don't know what happened but he's been gone awhile and he was so friendly and encouraging
mark
Mark
Prayers!

McLeod
thank you.. I've almost left this forum a few times, unfortunately there's some people everywhere that are not nice.. but it is people like you that helps others keep going.. may God bless you 😥 thank you so much
Mark
oh and good news iamtoasty is still here.. I am very glad he's ok.. I was extremely worried about him.. he's such a nice encouraging person..

Reactions: Mcleod
McLeod
thank you.. I've almost left this forum a few times, unfortunately there's some people everywhere that are not nice.. but it is people like you that helps others keep going.. may God bless you 😥 thank you so much
Mark
Mark,
They say that it takes a village to raise a child. No one should carry their burdens alone, people who do sucome to darkness. You are very welcome! I always try to remember that a$$holes may just be living in that darkness and can't see the beautiful world we live in.. God bless and have a wonderful day!

Reactions: Jaxjax