• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX AMP Regulator Guide

Is there a guide, manual, how-to video or similar for FX’s new AMP regulator? The manual that came with my Wildcat Compact doesn’t even mention the regulator. I’ve searched the web and this forum but could not find anything specific to this reg. I’d like to know how to properly adjust, remove, clean, etc. I understand there is a port on my air cylinder where a person can access an adjustment screw. The port is concealed by a rubber “ball”.

I’m also getting regulator creep. I thought the AMP reg was supposed to eliminate that problem, but guess not. What causes creep and how do you eliminate it? It seems many forum members just opt to replace their reg with a Huma.

I don't have a wildcat but do have a impact. It's gen 3 with amp reg. The manual doesn't tell you how to take it apart and clean it. Cause it's not supposed to be taking out. It can damage the piston reg. I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the reg for cleaning. Amp reg doesn't fix the creep. What the amp reg does do is, be able to adjust reg up or down without removing the bottle. With old reg, you need to remove the bottle to adjust down or you will break it. Idk why ppl think amp reg is gonna fix the creep. It's just a fancy name they put on their new reg. The almighty AMP reg. Wow, sure have lots of ppl fools lol. Cause you're not the only one who thought amp reg doesn't creep. I'm not saying all does creep. Some people claim they have no creep. But many have reported their fx guns with or without the amp reg do creepy 5-10 bars. Mine does. Sometime 5 bar. Up to 10 bars if I leave it for days without shooting. I have ordered an Huma reg on the way. Should be here in 2 weeks or so. Hope it fix this damn creep. Always have to dry fire 2 shots. Fx too cheap they using a plastic piston..the Huma reg piston is brass or metal. So hope it helps. Idk what fx thinking when thy put a cheap $2 plastic reg piston in a $2000 gun.

Ok here is what UA told me regarding hammer spring and regulator adjustments for the FX Wildcat Compact with the AMP regulator.

Hammer Spring

The hammer spring adjuster is known to loosen on these guns. To correct the problem, adjust the hammer spring tension where needed, and then apply some blue loctite on the threads to prevent the adjuster from moving again.

To me this seems like a bandaid fix to a fundamental design flaw.

AMP Regulator Adjustment

1. Remove the stock.
  2. Remove the rubber "ball" covering the regulator adjustment port (should be located toward the back of the air cylinder).
  3. To increase pressure, turn the adjustment screw CCW. Adjust 1/4 turn max, then dry fire - repeat as necessary.
  4. To decrease pressure, first degas air cylinder by loosening the brass grub screw located on side of rear block. Then turn adjustment screw CW. Refill gun and dry fire.
    [/LIST=1]

For reg adjustments it would be best to replace the brass grub screw with a small pressure gauge. this way you can see what your regulated pressure after each adjustment. Does anyone know what size threads the gauge needs to be?

Regulator Creep

It is typical for FX regulators to experience creep (AMP reg and old regs). UA didn't comment if there is a fix for this.

Again, to me this seems like a fundamental design flaw. FX and FX dealers should warn customers of the creep problem so we are properly informed of these performance issues before committing thousands of dollars.

Based on what I've read on here, regulator creep occurs at all power levels. It is my opinion that the spring washers are settling into place and it is because they were bound up a touch, which is what is causing the creeping. To fix this, if the parts the washers come into contact with (in the regulator assembly and housing) were made of polished aluminium, brass, or steel, the washers wouldn't have sticktion and wouldn't settle then release then settle at a higher pressure every time. 

Ok guys, I contacted FX and they confirmed how to adjust the AMP regulator for my Wildcat Compact. I assume this is the same for other FX guns with the AMP regulator. Procedure is not the same as described above.

Increase pressure

• First de-gas the air cylinder - do not attempt to increase the pressure before this step
  • Turn adjustment screw CCW to desired position, then refill air cylinder 

Decrease pressure

• This can be done with de-gassing the air cylinder
  • Turn adjustment screw CW no more the 1/4 turn, then dry fire gun
  • Repeat as necessary

Below I posted a shot string from this morning. The results are not flattering. I started at 225 BAR and shot 32 times ending up at 150 BAR. My chrony is a Competition Electronics DLX. I assume a 114 fps spread is not good. Any ideas what could be going on?

1558809140_9422460045ce98a346b7629.63103460_String Page1.jpg

1558809150_9717413685ce98a3eccdf11.84126320_String Page2.jpg

Unless the Wildcat is not like every other FX gun with the AMP regulator It is NOT necessary to degas the gun as you indicated to increase the reg pressure which is a CCW turn of the adjustment! Never has been on FX guns with externally adjustable regulators. Till the AMP came out you had to degas to REDUCE regulator pressure but with the AMP you simply fire a shot every 1/4 turn CW. Ernest Master class videos back up my statements. The video below covers the Impact with an AMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K9uG2KOPt0&t=3s

Reactions: W.Sheid
JBravo- is yours an MK2? Stupid question, cause yours has the AMP reg so I should know better than to ask if it’s an MK2, but my purpose of asking, is yours came with an owners manual? Specifically for the WC? Mine came with an Impact manual, which I thought was bogus! 

Also, to clarify your step by step procedure on adjusting the reg that you verified thru FX, I see you say to DEGAS when trying to INCREASE reg pressure, example from 150-180 bar(turning CCW).

Then, when you talk about decreasing pressure(150 BAR to 120 BAR, as an example, now turning the reg adjustment CW) you say to also DEGAS and fire the gun at each 1/4 turn of adjustment? Did you really mean to say NO NEED TO DEGAS for decreasing pressure?

Just clarifying.

JBravo, I’m looking at your string. Is yours a 25 cal or 22 cal? If it was a 25 cal some of your shots make sense, except for that extreme spread. Mine is a 30 cal, and I’m accustomed to higher velocities in other guns that are 30 cal, usually in the 880-940 FPS range, with a 44.75 grain pellet. My WC’ factory setting shoots the 44.75 grain pellets at 838 FPS average. So, if your wondering why your average is low, well, you’re not alone.

Bigragu,

I’m shooting an FX Wildcat MKII Compact, which is 25 cal. The shot strings above were made using JSB 25.39 grain pellets.

The manual that came with my gun wasn’t for the Impact but it leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like they touch a little bit on every gun but nothing specific for the model at hand.

I read that FX guns like to be around 900 fps for best performance, but not sure if that’s true. Also, I want to point out that I only have around 400 rounds through this gun since buying new in March.

TP3Ranch,

Below is the I received from FX. Maybe adjustment for the Impact is different. Kendall states that de-gassing is not required when decreasing pressure. I assumed that for increasing pressure you would need to de-gas.

1558823888_9514673025ce9c3d03c12e9.12672145_61F36236-8947-4BA9-AAE6-B83156C2F057.png

To sum it up it is no longer necessary to degas the gun to make adjustments up or down with the AMP regulator. I can see how you might infer from Kendall's comments that degassing is necessary to raise pressure but that was not what he was saying. Below is the incorrect statement you made (your other statement is correct) I have struck through the items that are wrong:

Increase pressure

• First de-gas the air cylinder – do not attempt to increase the pressure before this step
  • Turn adjustment screw CCW to desired position, then refill air cylinder 

I fought the creep on my FX Crown for over a year ! Tried everything, some things made it better but nothing totally eliminated creep, then I ordered and installed a HUMA regulator as soon as one was available and this fixed the creep issue once and for all. No more creep, tighter velocity spread, more shots per charge and this yielded better accuracy. 

Just about every situation where my ES was high in a regulated rifle , the issue has been inconsistent hammer strike . You might want to look there before condemning the regulator.

I agree. If it was the regulator creeping, I believe the velocity would slowly go down, not up. Maybe check that the hammerspring adjuster is not loose, and is not moving because of vibrations when firing the gun. 

If you really want to know for sure if it is the regulator, you can attach a manometer at the bleed srcew hole, when having the stock of, and take many dryfire shots to read if regulated pressure is stable. Just make sure you use a gauge which you know are in working order.

I adjusted the hammer spring this weekend. Low and behold my consistency showed dramatic improvements. I turned the adjustment nut 1.5 turns CW. Which brought my average velocity up to around 880 fps. My shot count went down however, and velocity starts dropping off after 23 shots. I suspect the HS adjustment nut loosened from the factory setting based on talking with Utah Airguns and others from AGN.

For those of you that have Wildcat Compacts, what is your gun running for average velocity and shot count? Again, my gun has the factory AMP regulator, but I'm unsure of the regulated pressure.

1558975476_6960065625cec13f45ed6e8.17210703_hs-adjust-3.jpg

I received my FX Wildcat MKII .22 cal in March of this year (2020.) After a month of shooting I noticed a velocity drop of about 100 fps using JSB 18g. I contacted Utah Airguns and spoke with them on the phone. They

download.png

recommended checking the hammer pre-tension spring nut.

Sure enough, that hammer spring nut was so loose it would turn a bit with each shot. I put an allen wrench on it (see video) and it took almost no effort to spin it. The locktite job done at FX was not performing its function.

I played with it over my chrono while adjusting the nut. It did not take long to restore velocity and tighten ES.

To loctite it back down I used this method.

• put a mark on the nut with a Sharpie for reference.
  • find the best setting using chrono
  • turn the nut clockwise (in) one full turn
  • put a drop of BLUE Loctite against nut edge
  • turn the nut counter-clockwise (out) one full turn

As I write this my Huma-Air reg just arrived in my mailbox. I will be installing it and doing more chro testing. I have chrono tests from before and I will compare the results between the AMP and Huma regs later on this thread.

Got my Huma-Air reg for Wildcat MKII .22 (AMP replacement) and have watched installation videos as well as read installation guides. (photo attached)

Question #1..... What is the little screw for? It will thread into either side of the regulator nicely but in none of the instructional aids I've consulted is this screw's purpose identified. Anyone know what it is for?

Question #2.... Looking at Huma Air's website photo of the FX Wildcat MKII regulator I noticed the "spacer" is much shorter than the one I received. Mine is 1.5" long which is just slightly longer than the regulator itself. Is this an updated version?

Question #3..... From what I've read I think the spacer"s purpose is to provide a plenum. Is that correct?

Thanks.

1595611479_21092906815f1b1957af9de2.72563714.jpg