• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Airguns, poor QC addressed by excellent CS

I have heard some stories about QC issues on the FX Streamline rifles. I purchased a very lightly used .22 cal Streamline off a member here a few months back, the rifle was gorgeous but when I shouldered it there was something that kept throwing me off that I couldn't quite pinpoint... After fondling the rifle for a few days while having to wait for my scope to arrive, when peering down the receiver without a scope mounted it appeared that the barrel was canted off to the left. At first I ignored it and thought maybe it was just the way I was looking at it. My scope came in so I got set up and did some shooting, was very pleased with the groups I was getting. Then after shooting at different ranges I noticed my left/right POI kept changing at different distances! My suspicions about the barrel cant just got confirmed.. I took apart the shroud and removed the barrel and receiver to make sure everything was assembled correctly and reassembled, same situation. I mounted just he barrel without the shroud to see if the shroud was missaligned, nope I could see the cant on the bare barrel... After disassembling again and doing a thorough inspection of all parts (I am a machinist so have inspection tools for checking squareness/parallelism/runout ect...) I determined that the brass barrel inlet was defective and the threads where the barrel threaded in were not parallel with the outside diameter of the inlet that mounted in the receiver causing the canting of the barrel. I called up FX USA to order a new barrel inlet, before they even asked why, they asked me where I got the rifle. I told them I was the second owner that purchased the rifle from the original owner who had gotten it from AoA a couple months ago, which is what the previous owner stated. So, still without even questioning why I was ordering the barrel inlet, they said it was covered under warranty, took my shipping information, and sent out a new barrel inlet! I got it by the end of the week, installed, the visible barrel cant is gone and the POI is consistent at all ranges!

So as morbidly disappointed as I was to see a problem like this on a rifle in this price range, I was quite pleased to to have it rectified so promptly, not being the original owner, and without question at that...

Just thought I would share.

Reactions: sonny and mmahoney
Alping,

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you have been able to restore the gun into the precision shooter that it was marketed to be. The poor QC at FX is redicilous in my opinion. You were lucky because you have the education and tools to determine exactly what the problem was with the riffle, not everyone can do what you did. Imagine all those that don't know what to do, they just stay unsatisfied or try to unload the riffle for someone else to deal with. Instead FX ships a riffle with a problem that could easily be caught and correct at factory during manufacturing.

"Eaglebeak"Did you ask the first owner why he was selling? or do you think that he hadn't noticed that the barrel was skew if?

Don't ever want to accuse anybody of doing something that might not be on the up-and-up but where it was a new gun sounds like this may be a good possibility when I got my new FX Wildcat 8 months ago it wouldn't hold ear if the rifle was ever tested at FX facility they would have noticed it immediately tthe rifle wouldn't hold pressure for more than a couple days what's an immediate drops noticeable within hours I never did get the answer why it leaks when I spect it was leaking from the O-ring around the regulator or the Gage

It is good FX now has US sipport! I personally do not see how they are selling here at all and do understand some UK shops saying " we wont well them until..." - and it seems thier next batch the QC was better, ugh.
I am not bashing FX, I'd love to shoot one and people like their cool new design ideas it seems but I have owned at least the following pre-charged airguns
Daystate
Titan
ShinSung
Air Arms
Theoben ( and a few crosman .. ... ... & such that lasted 5+ years but then sold )
That ALL lasted 10+ years with NO issues period. Not an oring, nothing loosened, NO problems. ( should I say I wont buy BSA just because of the Spitfire's reliability)

I also kn ow a few airgun folks who've been shooting a good while and this total crap QC is a new thing in the airgun World it seems, just a couple of years ago none of these factory know defects would have been acceptable .

I like a warranty but now that shipping is over $50.00 and I can work on my own IF needed it's not so much but I will only buy rigs that have some consistent QC, and, excellent parts availability, and, parts under warranty should be handled as Crosman does. A 1 year warranty on a rifle that almost never has any issue is much better than a 20 year warranty for a rig that has dozens of issues from the get go.

To me there are only a couple of top end manufacturer ( 2 ) with proper QC for the money.

But, all airguns ARE fun when shooting.

John