FX FX Airguns DRS Pro: How Significant is This Really?

What is wrong with a 800mm barrel? What other issues will it cause?

800mm barrel is good with the lighter slugs and lower power settings. With heavier slugs and high power comes more barrel whip. Plus with the fx straw system there is more harmonics involved since the projectile spends more time in the barrel. I have 800 mm barrels in 22, 25 and 30.

Allen

Reactions: Dairyboy
I hope the pro doesn’t have the same reliability problems as the standard version. My shooting partner has had a refund after his drs was sent back for repair twice within a month and another friend of his drs has also developed the exact same fault and is currently back for repair for the second time☹️.

I am not 100% sure but I believe it to be either an o ring or firing valve issue.

Bb

Plus with the fx straw system there is more harmonics involved .....
That is one of the reasons I will not buy a modern FX. A proper barrel will have less whip / harmonics and be easier to control and less POI shift. Plus all the reports of leaks and other problems with this drs it makes it a big no-no for me.

What about the panthera, same problems?
As I understand it, yes. A light bump and the POI shifts. I never owned a FX but did shoot with some of the older ones with proper barrels which are much better.

My question is, why do FX sell aftermarket stiffer barrels but not build it like that in the first place?

That is one of the reasons I will not buy a modern FX. A proper barrel will have less whip / harmonics and be easier to control and less POI shift. Plus all the reports of leaks and other problems with this drs it makes it a big no-no for me.
I wonder why these "proper barrels", are not winning more major, long distance events?
As I understand it, yes. A light bump and the POI shifts. I never owned a FX but did shoot with some of the older ones with proper barrels which are much better.

My question is, why do FX sell aftermarket stiffer barrels but not build it like that in the first place?
There is not a barrel on earth, that wont change POI, if you bump it hard enough!
What are you bumping your barrels on?

But seriously, what am I to believe?

Here's some stats from the website of my country's biggest and probably best retailer Krale:

Fx DRS DMT Pro :
Energy (Joule / ft.lb)58 / 42.7, 97 / 71.5, 98 / 72

So, 97 Joule/ 71.5 Ft.lb in .22

Fx DRS Classic Walnut grade 2:
Energy (Joule / ft.lb)61 / 45, 119 / 87.7, 126 / 93

So 119 joule/87.7 ft.lb in .22.
But this gun is LESS THAN HALF the price of the DMT Pro. With a 16.1 ft/lb advantage over the DMT Pro.

I know, nature never said the universe has to make any sense , but this to me is pushing it. Severely.
They are both the same platform just dressed differently my classic 700 was right around the 72 ft lbs mark yesterday when I tested it only could get about one magazine worth of shots at that though

I wonder why these "proper barrels", are not winning more major, long distance events?

There is not a barrel on earth, that wont change POI, if you bump it hard enough!
Check the Red Panda.....swept 2023 for 100yd 1st place benchrest.

Also have had multiple guns that won't POI shift. AAA Evol, Taipan Veteran and also Edgun R5M. Only way would be to bend the barrel. Mine ride in my truck with me on the farm and get banged and beat up on. There a tool to me and I use my tools.

Check the Red Panda.....swept 2023 for 100yd 1st place benchrest.

Also have had multiple guns that won't POI shift. AAA Evol, Taipan Veteran and also Edgun R5M. Only way would be to bend the barrel. Mine ride in my truck with me on the farm and get banged and beat up on. There a tool to me and I use my tools.
Yep!,
And what brand finished 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in 2023?
And what brand finished 1st, this year, at the 2024 NAC ?
It wasnt a Taipan, AAA, or Edgun!
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/2024-northeast-airgun-classic-results.1311304
They are tools to me too, but I dont pound nails with a circular saw.

Yep!,
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/2024-northeast-airgun-classic-results.1311304
All I'm saying is a solid barreled gun beat FXs all last year. And was close second this year also. It used to be all FX mainly in the top 10 now there's quite a few other guns brands there. And alot of the top shooters are sponsored by FX which great choice on FX to do that. As for slug shooters I say FX takes top for now no argument there. FXs are very accurate when tuned correctly no denying that. There great at marketing.
But they aren't known for being rugged and reliable.

And that's also why I don't use an FX and use the guns I use for a reason lol. FX couldn't handle my uses. Except for one of there older guns like Bobcat, Royale or Boss. Or maybe the solid barreled DRS. Interesting how that is that FX is making Solid steel liners to insert there soda straws in on the DRS Elite. Why make it if it doesn't benefit from it? What about the CF tubes, barrel tensioners, and harmonics tuners FXs made to help with the flimsy barrels with POI shifts and finicky harmonic tuning people talk about. Look at the aftermarket for the 3 guns I mentioned to improve shootability? None cause they shoot where there supposed to everytime lol. Maybe not as accurate as a really good FX but all capable of sub MOA groups at 100yds which is all I can ask for. The AAA, Taipan and Edguns weren't made for benchrest but excel at just being great reliable guns that you can pickup always and never question if it's out of tune or POI shifted. I prefer to shoot rather than tinker or twist scope turrets. Glad there's lots of choices out there to keep us all happy.

If you think that stock rifles is used is those competitions, thing again. Those rifles are modified with aftermarket accessories and barrel stiffeners to prevent most of POI shifts. that modifications cost more than most other rifles.
True, if you hit it really hard. But not a very light bump with the bare hand like FX has a problem with. My Gamo Magnum fell of a pickup hitting the ground barrel first and is was still zeroed.
I did bump my Artemis barrel against a tree or something a few times and when did a test shot it was still zeroed, unlike a Panthera which is shifting POI with a light hand bump. Granted, I did add a barrel band to it, but it is a 6 year old rifle costing $300 new I bought used for $150. What does a Panthera and a Impact cost?

BTW, I don't own a FX and doubt I ever will any of the new ones. I did work on a few and the older ones are the better choices. Recently I worked on a 22 year old Typhoon and that rifle is solid. I would not mind having such a FX.

Last edited:
Yep!,
As soon as a shooter start to climb the ranks, FX is there to sponsor them. It is like other big sport teams, the more money a team spend on buying the best players, the better the team become.

Reactions: Dairyboy
You guys are making me a little worried. I have been looking forward to the possibility of purchasing a DRS 500 walnut .22. If the future posts about it are generally positive.
I like the bull barrel look, and of course, walnut.
I've owned the FX Monsoon, Ranchero, and Wildcat.
All were excellent, but they were all solid barrels. We'll see.

Oh, I prefer the Porsche. No babying required here. Lol.
Have fun.

Last edited: