FX FX Airguns DRS Pro: How Significant is This Really?

It's a $300-500 gun in a €1600 chassi so I'd guess $1999-2399 or some such.
I might consider buying one just to get the chassi if it's cheap enough.
The gun itself seems really cheap to manufacture as there are much fewer parts.
The biggest price on an airgun is time spent on the mill, if there are tons of parts to make the gun will be more expensive.
In this case there seems to be very few parts: Body, trigger mechanism, picatinny/dovetail mount, bolt and probe mechanism, liner, airtank shroud with end cap and plenum magazine.
On the other hand there seems to be close to $1000 in upgrades available for the gun at launch. Tungsten hammer and CF barrel shroud seems like a must to me. I don't get why they don't come with tungsten hammer to begin with, it's like a $5 part for them.

I'd be happy if it was $1999 and disappointed if it was over $2500.
The gun
View attachment 428246

The chassiView attachment 428247
I don't know much about air guns. This forum has been an encyclopedia of knowledge. I've been following your technical posts and you seem like a fairly competent gunsmith/modder. But clearly you are an idiot when it comes to R&D, manufacturing and production. Of course FX is in the business of making money. Do you think any of this comes cheap?
I challenge you to set up a facility to make 1/1000th of these air guns for $300-$500 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: spywiz
It's a pretty Gun.
Being that I had a MACR that had an actual magazine that fed the self contained "bullets" and looked like a .50 cal Barret?
The so called magazine doesn't bother me. People have been doing the plenum trick like that for YEARS!
They just didn't put them in a sweet container like FX did.

What would be ground breaking is to make an adjustable Plenum like that so you don't need to buy different sizes.
But that would hit the possible money they can get selling the Plenums.

Last edited:
As for my .02, I am firmly with the crowd of less like a real gun, its hard enough to not get weird looks from neighbors with a big air tank attached to the rifle. Granted thats not an issue for everyone, but its an issue for some.

I feel this gun has all the weakness's of the Panthera with almost none of its strengths. What do I mean? Panthera has low shot count but that can be offset with adding extra air tanks., panthera is also filled from the rear to enable out of the way tethering. DRS has low shot count that is always going to be low. probe style fill makes therating usage less ideal. Panthera makes reasonable power, nothing amazing, but power can be increased by using high BC long slugs that the DRS cannot use. Mag depth of 11.3 insteead of 13mm. Panthera without the airtank upfront enables the use of a folding stock if you so choose to reduce overall length, does not seem to be the case with the DRS.

The good of the DRS, supposedly barrel kits at launch, the PRO caliber options seem more open as they are not listed on the page currently, and supposedly they will offer various plenum sizes.

What I would have rather seen here is hybrid MDT style furnature but the stock made with an airtank for a buffer tube or just the panthera rear stock with the 300cc bottle. That coupled with the around the barrel air tank 300cc would give you a reasonable 600cc of air. I would have prefered even longer mag chamber to shoot up to 15 or even 20mm slugs. The magazine style plenum is fine I suppose, so long as they can make one that rivals the panthera/dynamic 150cc type plenums to fire heavy long slugs, but from the looks of it, anything bigger than the 60cc they have on the one in the image and its going to start looking awkward.

Maybe they can just make a panthera with a magazine style plenum, and put the air tank barrel on it. That would seem to fix a lot of the panthera issues without needing to add a front bottlle.

Did somebody make some typos on the shot count? That can't be real or?
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 09.39.56.png

Reactions: Bernie7
Wow, you guys talking about "Karen's"!! This is about the whiniest bunch of "men?" I have ever heard. Since when does it "matter" what a Karen thinks or says? We have the rights that we have because there are voices out there in the industry. Whether it be pb firearms or air powered guns. Just because another "political" group doesn't like or partake of the same hobbies that we do, does not mean that we have to defend ourselves because of the way "they" view us or our hobbies. Try just liking the type of guns that "you" like and don't worry about the one you don't like. If you don't like a PRS style air rifle, then don't buy one!! Other than that, your opinion of said rifle is of no consequence to those that do like it. I, personally don't know of an airgun company, or any other company that don't make their products for the people that like them or to make a profit. So if you don't like something that looks like a competition rifle, then FX has lots of other guns that look more like airguns. Or if you want to stick with a gun that looks like a "toy" then buy that type of rifle from another company that you do like. But if your issue is with FX for bringing top tier products with the latest technology year after year, and want to make a profit to continue to bring great products to the market, then just stop whining!! Sometimes the "Karen" becomes the one in the mirror.

That's correct. So make your voice heard to the politicians!! I feel like this is becoming an issue of people think they need to "hide" their love of guns, shooting, hunting etc.. Just to make sure it doesn't offend someone. "This" is still AMERICA, right?! If we don't protect our rights, then they will be taken by the haters.

Haha! Yep. The kind of innovation I’d like to see in airgunning, rather, is something like an airgun that has the capability of recycling used pellets to be shot again … and again … and again🤪😝
That sir is called casting. Just trap all of the lead you shoot them throw them in the melting pot.

I don't think that we should have to "hide" our rights and liberties from those that don't agree with us. I think that "We The People" need to stand up and speak up. Even if it only about an air rifle!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ben Franklin

Super powerful and efficient.

What's the max FPE it can make in .35?
I don't think that we should have to "hide" our rights and liberties from those that don't agree with us. I think that "We The People" need to stand up and speak up. Even if it only about an air rifle!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ben Franklin
Welcome to the pussyfication of America.

• Haha
Reactions: john8 and spywiz
Lots of good conversations here on the FX DRS Pro. Here is a long response to get all my thoughts out after reading comments over the past 24 hours. The point of my original post was the goal of making an airgun design as close to the form of a firearm has a lot of historical examples and has a meaningful purpose.

I am a HUGE military training rifle collector and military history nut. Also, U.S. Army Veteran Tank Gunner whose secondary job was a Unit Small Arms Armorer for my unit. I LOVE the mechanics of rifles just as much as I love shooting them. Do I work in the airgun industry? Yes. Do I live and breathe this stuff daily? It is a diagnosable obsession!

View attachment 428450So what was the point of my original post? TONS of history has led up to the FX DRS Pro design and ya, I am pretty excited about it. The historical aspect that interests me most about all this is looking at the FX DRS Pro as the ultimate airgun training rifle.

The military figured out a LOOOOONG time ago that the more trigger time you get your troops the more proficient they become as an expert marksman. .22LR was the chosen approach for a good part of the 20th century as a cost-effective way to do so. Furthermore, it opened up WHERE marksmanship training could be performed and no longer needed hundreds of yards. Hell, they even used gallery gun power level .22LR shorts to shoot indoors!

They figured out right away that just going to the .22 caliber wasn't enough and needed to make training rifles that had as close to the same form factor as the primary issued service rifle of the time. This is my collection of every .22LR dating from pre-WWI through WWII of every single U.S. military-adopted .22LR training rifle (yes I love this stuff). The two specifically I want to point out are the 1922 Springfield .22LR (uses the actual Springfield M1903 action) and the H&R 65 .22LR (very similar form factor to the M1 Garand). These two specifically were created to mimic the manual of arms and ergonomics of their full-sized service rifles of the M1903 Springfield and the M1 Garand.

I know there are quite of few Brits here on Airgun Nation and y'all did the same thing. The Mossberg 42MB (5th from the top) was adopted by the Brits as a training rifle as it has a very similar ergonomic design to the Pattern 1914 Enfield and Lee Enfield No.1 and No.4.

View attachment 428448
The small-bore / .22LR / and now airgun training rifle concept is alive and well in modern times and we see companies and products like Bergara B-14R in .22LR use a AICS style magazine that accepts .22LR cartridges to mimic its center-fire big brother. I don't know if you've checked prices on 6.5 CM ammo lately, but if you think airguns are expensive. Try burning through a few hundred rounds of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147 gr ELD Match Ammo and let me know how much lighter your wallet feels or if your credit card has melted.

Having the FX DRS Pro with almost the EXACT form factor as my centerfire Begara 6.5 CM (or any other Rem700 form factor rifle) you can now burn off 1000s of rounds for a fraction of the cost of the center-fire equivalent platform and the same can be said for the .22LR version too because you're not feeding your precision .22LR bulk green box Remington. You're spending $15-$25 a box of 50 rounds Match Grade Ammo. Airgun slugs are a small fraction of the cost.

So to this point of, "why make an air rifle look like something it is not"... I personally think it is an important approach to marksmanship training and our history as shooters. If the FX DRS Pro design doesn't appeal to you and you want super high shot count or super compact design, well... they have those designs too! I just think it is cool that I can now have an airgun that feels and operates almost EXACTLY like my precision centerfire rifle and I personally will be a better shooter the more trigger time I get behind it.
Well said!! That's what I was trying to say. As a retired military man that started out in hostage rescue and negotiations on The Air Forces early EST Teams, and later in the Army as a SDM, I too use the air rifle platforms to keep my skills sharp. I love the way the FX DRS Pro has a near exact look and feel of ELR weapons.

Reactions: UpNorthAirGunner
I am not in USA but I follow what is going on with your gun rights. As an outsider I stand far away and sometimes see clearer and wider picture than those in the picture and I can tell you it is not looking good. When did the resistance against arms got more intense? When people started to see it on you tube. The resistance against air rifles already started.

I am not in USA but I follow what is going on with your gun rights. As an outsider I stand far away and sometimes see clearer and wider picture than those in the picture and I can tell you it is not looking good. When did the resistance against arms got more intense? When people started to see it on you tube. The resistance against air rifles already started.
There will always be resistance when someone wants to take your rights. That is why we make a stand. That is what the Revolutionary War was all about!

Reactions: allinssd

There's always been opposition.

So many people have been screaming for people to be quiet about our airguns since the beginning. "Quiet about Suppressor, call them LDC's otherwise they'll take them away from us" "Quiet about Semi Autos and Fullies otherwise they'll take them away from us"

They've been screaming this since I can remember. I remember when I got my FX Monsoon, back when I actually supported them until they folded to "industry pressure" and decided to pull all semi autos from the shelves and future development.

I remember asking for higher power Semis and being told no way that's ever going to happen, too much scrutiny.
I remember DonnyFL telling me there's no way in hell he would make me an adapter so I could quick swap my moderators 6 years ago, well well well, look what we have this year, is that a QD for your mods? only took you 6 years to sack up.
Thank god for Evanix, Huben, EdGun, Western Airguns, even AEA and Hatsan for their willingness to progress the industry.

My background: I shoot exclusively offhand (99.9%) in competitive air-rifle metallic silhouette and have used a .177 FX Crown since 2018. About 2 years ago I purchased a FX Impact M3 in .22 (knowing full well that it was not the "best" rifle for offhand). Very recently I sold it as I just could not get a correct balance and ergonomic fit for offhand competitive shooting -off the bench it was super accurate. In the last 2 weeks have seriously considered an AirMaks Katran LB in .22.

Now FX releases the DRS.

I am very much inclined toward placing an order for the FX DRS in .22. As I only shoot JSB pellets (never slugs) here is my preferred setup:
1. FX DRS Classic .22 in Minelli walnut
2. 600mm barrel with carbon fibre air-tube which is rated at 250 BAR and has a capacity of 260 cc. My reason for the CF air-tube is: I practice at my local range once per week and I need a rifle that will give me at least 60-70 shots before a refill, because as a senior citizen I am well and truly over lifting a 22 Kg scuba tank in and out of the car both at home and at the range.
3. Match trigger upgrade. Absolutely essential!! The trigger in the M3 was just way too heavy and really non-adjustable. My shooting colleagues have Steyrs and FWBs with trigger touch (not pull) weights of between 100-150 grams (3-5 ounces). I definitely NEED a very lightweight trigger. I have adjusted and modified the Crown's trigger and it is nearly acceptable for my offhand shooting - not super good, but ok.
4. Picatinny rail as opposed to dovetail.
5. FPE around 25-30.

From the posted pictures of the DRS Classic it would appear that it should be reasonably well balanced for offhand competitive shooting.

The advertising blurb says that "Different Impulse Valves available" - anyone got any idea what this means?

This will probably be the very last air-rifle I will purchase and I want to get it right, for me at least, the first time around.

So for me, the release by FX of the DRS is very significant, as I was only weeks away from placing an order for the Katran LB .22.

Thanks
Matt