• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX 800mm slug tensioned barrel. Hold sensitive!

Hey community, is anyone else having trouble with the 800mm barrel being super hold sensitive? I shooting a M3 in .30 cal. 150 bar on the first reg. 120 bar on the second reg. Valve at a quarter turn past 4. I'm getting decent speeds out of the 50gr JSB Exact Heavy at 912-915 fps. I don't normally like to push pellets beyond 925 and I only go that high with Hades, which seems to do well at that speed in my 700mm superior heavy liner. My gun is killer accurate in the 700mm setup. Quarter size or less groups at 100yd. I thought the 800mm would be even better but that's not what I'm experiencing. Is the dwell time too long in the barrel? Do I need more speed, less? Or, is the longer barrel just super hold sensitive. I originally bought it for slugs but its a good while till predator hunting this fall/winter so I thought I'd set it up for pellets in the meantime. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Its called Kinetic Recoil in common terms ... Read up on NEWTONS 3rd law of physics.
Unless rifle shot from is HEAVY or hold is extremely Solid ... yep :giggle:

Longer the projectile is confined within the barrel while recoil is happening, further can the POA be changed once said projectile gets free of the barrel and headed where aimed at that moment in time.

I have quite a bit of experience with slugs. I shoot the .30 cal Neilson 49.5 and 54gr quite a bit. But, I got squirrel season all spring and summer before coyote hunting this fall. I was just hoping to shoot pellets and slugs with a little additional tuning in the fall for the slugs. .30 cal in a 54 grain slug is going to be a bit much for squirrels. .30 cal period is too much for squirrels, but I'm just a regular working man. I don't have a lot of extra funds to buy another barrel/caliber kit at the moment. My main question was just concerning if anyone else was having any difficulties with pellets out of the 30 cal 800mm with hold sensitivity, or, do I just need more tuning. And, if the later is correct, then any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Although the 800mm superior heavy will fire the pellets it may not fire the pellets as well as your 700 did. If it were me I would have two barrels. One for the squirrels and one for the other stuff. And tune each as necessary. But if you just have the 800mm you could find out how well the barrel shoots the pellets slow. And have two tunes one for slug and one for squirrels. My 500mm superior heavy easily fires off the 44gr JSBs very well in the 800 fps range out to 50 yards. Remember speed is worthless if it is not accurate.

Allen

Picking up the portion only from the OP "tensioned barrel".
I don't have the 800 but a 700 and 600 barrels, and how the snow melted I started comparing/testing specifically the "tensioning" the barrel vs "integrated barrel tunner" vs OEM shroud...
And I am not impressed with the results, I am shooting 100 M BR, and I am comparing the rings and the groups.
So for example I have a CF sleedve (not bonded only to replace the inconvenience with orings) over the liner inside barrel and the CF sleeve over the barrel tensioned...
So far in my eyes the "tensioned barrel" is a gimmick = waste of money.
Next time I am at my club I will replace it back to the barrel tunner shroud.

Picking up the portion only from the OP "tensioned barrel".
I don't have the 800 but a 700 and 600 barrels, and how the snow melted I started comparing/testing specifically the "tensioning" the barrel vs "integrated barrel tunner" vs OEM shroud...
And I am not impressed with the results, I am shooting 100 M BR, and I am comparing the rings and the groups.
So for example I have a CF sleedve (not bonded only to replace the inconvenience with orings) over the liner inside barrel and the CF sleeve over the barrel tensioned...
So far in my eyes the "tensioned barrel" is a gimmick = waste of money.
Next time I am at my club I will replace it back to the barrel tunner shroud.

Tensioned barrels are not gimmick but the tensioner isn’t there to provide better accuracy, t’s there to help with accidental bump induced POI shift.

If you want best accuracy possible then nothing beats free floating barrel, never seen a tensioned barrel at any kind of BR competition airguns or PB…..at least anywhere near top 1/3 even.

Reactions: Stone02 and bigHUN
Tensioned barrels as mentioned are definitely not a gimmick. Properly done ones that is not ones that are an after thought as FX is. Guns like the Evol and R5M platforms that are designed as tensioned barrels from factory do excellent. Both barrels thread into a receiver and threaded on muzzle which have a tension nut, edgun you tension against frame of gun, Evol it's a shroud. And crank on that nut and stretch the barrels. As a hunter they were my most consistently accurate guns I owned. They gave me the most confidence of any other guns I owned.

Now FX are held in with 1 set screw? I know Crowns are 4 now but not sure what the Impacts are? I think they used to be one but not sure. Anyways you cant get a real good tension on a barrel held with one screw. Really on any guns held in with only set screws as you can rip the barrel out.

Then getting to the barrel itself shooting a 800mm .30 there are alot of harmonics going on there. I found most .30s hold sensitive just due to the recoil compared to a .22. Add 800mm of a flimsy barrel compared to others and I'm sure it's hard to get under control. Now the difference between 700mm and 800mm shouldn't be that large but I guess it could make a good bit of difference as that's roughly 4" more stickin out further from support.