• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX 700mm barrel

Most of my shooting is from my front porch, or inside my house. I probably have no need for the 700mm barrel, but I also know that I will increase the power, and the FPS of the 700 over the more compact barrel. I would also believe that accuracy would improve.

My question would be how much more muzzel velocity I will obtain by using the longer barrel over the standard barrel?

You will also get more shots per fill with a longer barrel, if shooting with same energy as a shorter one. You can usually use lower pressure to obtain same speed. I have a 500mm barrel kit in .22, and a .25 700mm kit. The main downside of the 700mm barrel is that you have to be careful if you carry the gun in one hand along your side. The barrel, and moderator will be close to the ground, and easy bumped if you go in rough terrain. But if sitting on a bench, I see only advantages. The 500mm is easier to move around inside of a car, while the 700mm is hard to move around from passenger seat, and out the driver window.

The IMPACT barrel is fully supported in the secondary tube and in the cocking block so it's irrelevant really, with almost all of the 700mm over the 600mm you gain 40-50FPS, with 30 cal however my IMPACT seems to shoot the 50g at almost the same speed as the 40g so I plop for the heavier pellet with almost free energy thrown in.

As above you can also achieve the same speed with a 700 as with a 600 but use less air to gain more shots, IMO the only downside with a 700 over a 600 is that it doesnt fit in the case with the moderator on.

Having tried the 700mm in my Crown its a different story, the 700 is just too unwieldy on a standard rifle format IMO.

Has anyone experienced any POI shift with the 700mm barrel? How rigid us the 700mm when compared to the 600mm.

are you asking if there is a POI when we swap between 600 and 700 barrel or random POI change with the 700? there is some changes when swapped but I haven't had POI issue with the 700. 

the 700 does not feel different in its rigidity. you do notice the extra length when moving with the rifle. It doesn't take long to see why someone hunting or in any space constraint might prefer the more compact versions.

any droop with the sumo I use is consistent and I don't get changing POI with it is on. Touching the barrel may and resting on the barrel would affect any rifles. 

All rifle barrel go through a harmonic cycle when shot any thing that changes the frequency of the cycle will change the POI. In powder burners you see them lean against things but but there barrel shroud are mounted to the action not the barrel.

For just an additional 100 bucks I think I will go with it. Maybe further down the line I may want to experiment with some slugs, or maybe some 100 yard shooting. On my Air Arms I am having success in shooting 50 yards and holding sub 1 inch groups. I think that's amazing for an air rifle. But I am also seeing videos that holding 1 inch and less is normal. I think with a 700 mm barrel I would at sometime give the 100 yard shooting a crack.

A longer barrel doesn't necessarily equate to better accuracy. Roelf from Air Hunters does just fine with a 600mm setup. I did just fine with a 600mm as well.

I use 700mm so I can push 34gr and 40gr slugs (22 cal) to the velocity I prefer. 600mm wouldn't get me there unless I go to 180bar, which I won't do that. 160bar gets me about 60 shots....I dont want shot count lower than that.